Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default The War of the (Virtual) Worlds

This discussion is definitely a bit off-topic, but it's an interesting one with Microsoft and Google now fighting it out in... "War of the Worlds". By now, a colleague, a friend, a pet or even a stranger has pointed you to Google Earth or the browser-friendly Google Maps. Both allow you to zoom right in to any place in the world and search for people's houses, ATMs, your local McDonald's, and much more (yes, the possibilities are endless). But there's more! Enter MSN Virtual Earth, Microsoft's search and mapping alternative. Officially launched as a beta just a few hours ago, MSN Virtual Earth combines MapPoint and MSN technology to deliver a fast, easy-to-use mapping solution for the end user. Naturally, both have a heavy emphasis on the USA, but I've found Google's solution to have much better international support than its counterpart (for now). Living in Australia, you can probably already tell which of the two I prefer, but given the fact that MSN Virtual Earth is still a beta, I'm willing to give it time to mature and develop into a fully-functional product before I make that decision again.

So, the question is this: "who has the better Earth?" International readers will probably pick Google's offerings, while those of you based in the USA may go both ways. Let the poll decide!

Links: Google Earth / Google Maps; MSN Virtual Earth

Old 07-25-2005, 11:52 AM
MitchellO
Oracle

Google. Their's is soooo cool, and can peak in on australia!

Old 07-25-2005, 01:01 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

After watching the Channel 9 Interviews Virtual Earth Team yesterday, I was really looking forward to Virtual Earth, but it really doesn't stack up to Google...yet. Both Google's and Microsoft's "Earths" are still in Beta. For now, I'll probably still use Google Maps for directions, and Google Earth for fun -- spinning the globe. But the stuff I saw in that video yesterday really made me like MSN Virtual Earth, so I'll keep checking back with it, and hopefully Microsoft will get it to work a little better.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:19 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

OK - so the MSN version is only beta - but it's a bit pants really - isn't it? Better that they'd have waited than rushing to unveil it now and impressing no-one.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Ken Mattern
Intellectual

I prefer Google but if I want geography I use NASA's World Wind http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/. It's open source software that lets you zoom just about anywhere, some areas to extreme detail, and you can rotate the satellite view to get a 3D view of the landscape.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Martano
Neophyte

Virtual Earth crashes Firefox for Mac. Not Google maps

Old 07-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Kursplat
Intellectual

I used to use Expedia all the time for directions. Now I use Google Maps. I especially love the ability to zoom in to level I want and then just grab the map and drag it around. This is SOOOOOOOO much nicer then moving around a full page at a time.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Kowalski
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski

google earth for fun, and google maps for real posotion finding.
microsoft map services are promising though

Old 07-25-2005, 03:07 PM
lapchinj
Thinker

MS usually plays catch up very well and in the end either ends up with the only package available or a very good product, but they do catch up. I try to stay away from MS when I have the option since thier products are for MS only. I do a lot of work across different platforms and I can't afford to learn 2 products that do essentially the same thing so I'll use a non-MS product even if it's a little short on bells and whistels.

Even though MS will probably catch up I think that Google has always been a rock solid bunch of products and I don't think that by me staying with Google that I'll miss very much in terms of what the world has to offer.

Jeff-

Old 07-25-2005, 03:16 PM
powder2000
Thinker

I didn't vote. For me, google works just fine. Why do I need to install another product whether it's MS or not? I have never been dissatisfied with googles stuff and I don't feel I need much more. I am also a bit weary of more MS stuff. Why not just stick with a certain set of markets and do them the very best you can? With all the Vista news coming out, it seems they should be putting their efforts there instead of competing in yet another arena. Don't get me wrong, I have no real beefs with MS, I just would rather they concentrated more on their os than a mapping/search program.