Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Spb Diary 1.5 Released

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/diary/?en

"Spb Diary is a feature-rich Today plug-in for your Calendar, Tasks, Contacts and Notes. This software is a powerful replacement for the standard Today plug-ins for appointments and tasks known to have poor functionality. When using Spb Diary the most of actions related to appointments, tasks, contacts and notes can be performed even without leaving the Today screen at all."

Spb Diary has just been updated to v1.5, and it features a collection of new features worth talking about. The first is support for notes. Spb Diary 1.5 allows you to create and edit notes, as well as browse through a list of existing notes in a new, easy-to-use Notes tab. The second is integration with Spb Weather. Spb Diary now has the capability to display weather on the day title, which makes it quick and easy to work out what to wear on the day of your big meeting! Other minor features and bug fixes have also been implemented.

Spb Diary 1.5 is a free update for all existing Spb Diary 1.x users. If you've been meaning to try Spb Diary but haven't got round to it, now's the perfect time to give it a run. It can be purchased from Handango for $14.95. A free trial version is also available for download. [Affiliate]

Old 07-05-2005, 10:47 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I installed this just now and it said that I needed Spb Weather 1.1.0 in order to display the weather in Spb Diary. I checked the site and it said the Weather 1.1.0 had been released in February, but I could've sworn that I downloaded 1.0.1 since then. :confused totally:

Old 07-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Clinton Fitch
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Clinton Fitch

I ran into the same problem while I was writing the review for the application. If you have Weather, just download the trial and reinstall using your old key. it is a free upgrade and it works great.

Regards,

Old 07-05-2005, 10:56 PM
ctmagnus

Also, the Tabs tab in General options looks promising! I'm hoping they'll integrate the ability to have other Spb plugins integrate into Diary. Vertical tabs displayed as icons makes much more sense to me than horizontal tabs displayed as words.

Old 07-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Clinton Fitch
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Clinton Fitch

I couldn't agree more and I think that is the trend from them.

Personally, I can't wait until they get Inbox integrated into Diary.

Old 07-05-2005, 11:41 PM
StarTide
Pupil

The only thing that bugs me about SPB is all of their downloads are for an exe file. Since I am a mac user I have to install via the cab file, and for some strange reason they refuse to allow the cab file to be a direct download, so I always have to ask SPB support to email me the file

Other than that I like SPB Diary quite a bit.

Startide

Old 07-06-2005, 12:00 AM
ctmagnus

But the nice thing about the exe installer on the windows platform is that it asks for your registration code during the install, and that code gets written to the cab file so if/when you have to reinstall that product, you just have to copy the cab over to the Pocket PC and execute it there.

If you have access to a Windows machine (even one without ActiveSync), you should be able to run the exe on it, go through the installation process and enter your registration code when asked then go into C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\[name of Spb product] and grab the cabs out of there and copy them to your Mac. afaict this should work.

Old 07-06-2005, 12:09 AM
StarTide
Pupil

ctmagnus,

You are correct I can do this, just not worth the time and effort and I do think Activesync needs to be installed. I'll just wait for SPB to email me the cab, within the next day or two. Virtually all other main PPC products allow for direct cab download, PI, AF, Listpro, etc.. Pocket Breeze includes the cab in the zip download, along with the exe file. I just wish SPB would do so as well.

Startide

Old 07-06-2005, 12:36 AM
tdcao
Pupil

And why didn't SPB do something with that dashed line at the top of the screen? That darn line shows up on almost all of SPB products. It ruins everything!!

Old 07-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcao
And why didn't SPB do something with that dashed line at the top of the screen? That darn line shows up on almost all of SPB products. It ruins everything!!
What do you mean? :confused totally: That dashed line is a battery indicator - the functionality is only included in Spb Pocket Plus, not all of the Spb products. Firstly, it can be enabled and disabled at the user's free will, and secondly, the majority of users actually find it to be a useful addition to the Pocket PC interface. A quick glance at the screen, and you'll get an approximation of the Pocket PC's battery life.