Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 06-30-2005, 04:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Avvenu Service Upgrade

http://www.avvenu.com/

The Avvenu file sharing service has just been upgraded to support a host of new features. They include:

� Support for Adobe Photoshop Album
� Improved navigation
� Improved cell phone support
� Improved start location functionality
� Better display of file data
� Corporate firewall support
� Bug fixes

If you wish to try Avvenu, simply point your browser to http://www.avvenu.com/ and sign up for the service.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:30 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

I've never heard of these guys before. After visiting their website it seems they facilitate secure sharing of files stored on your computer. This seems well enough, but I'm wondering how Aavenu makes any money in this deal? I didn't take the time to download their user agent. However, are they installing Adware, or pushing ads or what? Their website doesn't seem to indicate any charge for their service, but we know it's a lousy business model to just give away your product.

Has anyone used this that can provide feedback? I could see some use for this as it would be easier to share pictures with family members than uploading them to a picture sharing service (I think).

Old 07-01-2005, 04:09 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt
Has anyone used this that can provide feedback? I could see some use for this as it would be easier to share pictures with family members than uploading them to a picture sharing service (I think).
If you clicked on the links in my original post, you may have noticed that I did a mini-review of the Avvenu service back when it had first started: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/arti...n=expand,39184

The service is completely legit - no adware or spyware. It's free at the moment because it's still in the testing phase. The folk at Avvenu claim that they will introduce some sort of pricing plan once Avvenu goes final, but if you subscribe now as a beta tester, you'll get a year's worth of Avvenu for free. Something for nothing - hey, why not?