Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default An i-mate Branded HTC Universal

I took time out this week to walk the floors of MEDC in Sydney where I was able to get some great information on upcoming software and hardware. So, here's the first report. After talking to a reliable source, I discovered that popular Pocket PC Phone Edition and Smartphone manufacturer, i-mate, has made plans to release an HTC Universal under its own brand name. The way I see it - this move will definitely promote greater adoption of this device, particularly across the Asia-Pacific region and the North American region. No word yet on when it will be released and how much it will cost.

Old 06-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

This is just an educated guess, but if I-mate stays true to their previous routine, it will come out in October-November, and cost around $900.

Jon.

Old 06-26-2005, 04:01 PM
szamot
Sage

I don't know if I would agree with the $900 prdiction. Even Expansys does not sell their devices that expansive, and Expansys is not cheap by any means.

Old 06-26-2005, 04:10 PM
Paragon
Magi
Default Re: An i-mate Branded HTC Universal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
No word yet on when it will be released
According to the CEO of iMate it will be officially be launched on Sept. 24th at GITEX (I hope I have that right) in Dubia. In the past this exactly what iMate have done, and it has been available in Dubia at that time, then around the world in the next few weeks.

Old 06-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by szamot
I don't know if I would agree with the $900 prdiction. Even Expansys does not sell their devices that expansive, and Expansys is not cheap by any means.
The original i-mate PPC was initially listed on clubimate for $850, however you couldn't get it from clubimate for the longest time (no stock). Alternate methods (Such as the one I used) easily took it up to $900+ to get your hands on it within 3 months of it being released.

Now that they have north american operations, perhaps it will get easier for us.

Old 06-26-2005, 06:49 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by szamot
Even Expansys does not sell their devices that expansive, and Expansys is not cheap by any means.
Hmmm....I bought my PDA2k from Expansys in the first release for $895.00 USD.

I'm willing to bet pretty good money on the iMate (unlocked) Universal being over a grand USD.

Old 06-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Pdaholic
Intellectual

Man, I love the HTC Universal. But no way in haites I'm gonna pay $900 for it. Not that I couldn't, it's just that I would feel like bashing my own head in if I lost such an expensive device. :evil:

Old 06-27-2005, 12:19 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
I'm willing to bet pretty good money on the iMate (unlocked) Universal being over a grand USD.
I'd hold off on that bet for one reason: if it crosses the $999 threshold, sales will drop substantially. I know this is supposed to be a mini-laptop-like-unit, but I think most of the public will be scared away, despite its power, and as such they may have to price it a bit more aggressively than that.

In any case, the price will eventually decrease, but I'm sure the unlocked phone won't be cheap initially. I'm curious what frequency bands they'll offer; if it's 900/1800/1900, it'll be much less useful in North America.

--janak

Old 06-27-2005, 03:08 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
I'm curious what frequency bands they'll offer; if it's 900/1800/1900, it'll be much less useful in North America.
If I recall correctly, the Universal's base specs are tri-band GSM/GPRS/WCDMA, so you'd be right on that 900/1800/1900 prediction.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:53 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
If I recall correctly, the Universal's base specs are tri-band GSM/GPRS/WCDMA, so you'd be right on that 900/1800/1900 prediction.
I've heard two versions will be released -- a 900/1800/1900 and an 850/1800/1900. We'll see.

--janak