Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 06-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default NetFront 3.2 English Finally Released

http://nfppc.access.co.jp/english/

ACCESS's NetFront is a popular PIE replacement for Pocket PCs. The English release of version 3.2 is now out, including support for WM2003SE, integrated Flash, Rapid Render technology that gradually renders the page, a new Java VM for applets, and some other features. You can see the full list of new features here. They're also offering a new release discount, as mentioned on the frontpage, linked above.

One downside to the new release is no official VGA support, as was discovered by PPCT member Menneisyys when the Japanese version was released a few months ago. If you need a fully WM2003SE VGA-mode compliant browser, this may not be your first choice.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:13 PM
PBR
Pupil

Scrolling via the cursor key doesnt work properly. That and the fact that there is no VGA support means Access just gets between $14 and $19 out of people for a product that does nothing new and less than the old version..... :roll:

Old 06-23-2005, 04:26 PM
kamikun
Ponderer

I can confirm that scrolling with the bar is flaky on the demo version, but on my registered version it works perfectly. Also, don't discount the inclusion of Java. You can really watch StrongBad on your PPC now.

On the Tosh e800 wm2003 FE (MyVGA hack) the VGA display is beautiful. I've uploaded some screenshots to PPCAddict and hopefully they'll be posted later today.

There is another bug that I've run into though. It is impossible to change the font. Although I have selected every option available on the machine and have even checked the registry entry under "access.jp" for font selection, regardless of what you put in that box or select you're always gonna get Bell MT. That came in the eReader font pack and I have no idea why NF3.2 is defaulting back to that one.

Is the upgrade worth $20? I think so. On FE VGA the screens proportion perfectly; the forms work and the HUGE MegaLocataBar is gone. And the working Java. That's neat.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Silver5
Intellectual

Right now I have Multi IE running on my i-mate Jam and don't see a reason to pay that much to make a change. I know there are some neat features, but check out the memory requirements...that sure takes away from the cool factor. It seems that it needs more space than Transcriber and Voice Command put together (and they're large!).

Size
> Memory for data storage: About 8.9MB
> Memory for program execution: 4.5MB or more for NetFront v3.2 for Pocket PC only, 8.5MB or more for activating JV-Lite2.
Supported CPU

Old 06-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Don't Panic!
Oracle

kamikun-Have you looked at it without the MyVGA hack running? I'm wondering how it looks with the microsoft version of VGA in place.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:16 PM
applejosh
Philosopher

I'm still not seeing it on Handango. I wish I had bought 3.1 from PocketGear.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:23 PM
signothefish
Intellectual

The only nice addition I can see is the ability to display embedded Flash scripts. It's just not worth it for me to upgrade, even at $14.80. The best reason I can think of to buy 3.2 is that you're investing in potentially lower prices for future upgrades.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:16 PM
nitestrike
Intellectual

I have a couple question/tests, if someone don't mind trying.

1) One does it allow you run the speed test, with java, at Broadband Reports web site?
2.) Under WM2K3SE when roatating the screen to landscape does it take the address bar and the two buttons from one row or two rows?
3.) If anyone is using it with VGA_SE hack does it work well with that too, currently 3.1 works fine except some of the fonts are really huge?

OK, looks like I had three. :lol:

Old 06-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Strange, the font on the changes page look just like the horrible fonts in the 3.1 browser when I use it on my e830

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 06-23-2005, 10:49 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

It's been a while since I used NF 3.1, so I can't remember how all of this compares, but... On my HX4700 - the fonts are UGLY in normal SE VGA mode. The small or smallest fonts are basically unreadable, this also occurs if you zoom below 100%. Makes it worthless in this mode IMO.

In Forced VGA mode, the address bar is double hight, and half of it is obscured by the browser window. The bottom of the screen is covered up by the tool bar, so you have to go to full screen mode if you need to scroll horizontally. The settings and bookmark windows are difficult if not impossible to use because the input areas and fonts are all doubled in size and there is no way to scroll to the right to access everything.

In OzVGA, it looks and works fantastic. Everything is usuable - the settings pages are larger type, but still fit within the screen. the Title bar and tool bar are both usuable and don't seem to interfere with the rest of the screen. However, PIE works very well in this mode also, so I'm not sure it's worth investment.

I've been having random hard resets recently switching from TrueVGA to SE VGA with Oz, so I'm not real comfortable having to use TrueVGA on a regular basis. This has been happening since I loaded the new HP ROM. I wonder if that broke something?