Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 06-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Find Dead Pixels with Mobile Screen Tester 1.0

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_...associateid=204

Mobile Screen Tester is a free dead pixel tester compatible with QVGA and VGA devices running Pocket PC 2002 right up to Windows Mobile 5.0 (the .NET Compact Framework is required for devices which don't already have it onboard). If you've ever had a case of dead pixel paranoia, then this application may be worth checking out. Off topic - I just found one on my laptop yesterday and it's been driving me nuts! Oh well, I still have another 2,303,999 pixels to keep me happy. Wheeee!

Old 06-09-2005, 08:20 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

So what does a dead pixel look like? Black? Grey? White?

Old 06-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Patrick Y.
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to Patrick Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
That's my question too... :?:

Old 06-10-2005, 03:08 AM
azhiker
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to azhiker
Default Becoming a PDA hypochondriac

So if you need a tester to discover if you have a dead pixel, which you would not have noticed before... why discover the un-obvious?

If you already notice dead pixels, then why bother to test it?

In short, I am not sure I get the need for this.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:15 AM
Patrick Y.
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to Patrick Y.
Default Re: Becoming a PDA hypochondriac

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker
So if you need a tester to discover if you have a dead pixel, which you would not have noticed before... why discover the un-obvious?

If you already notice dead pixels, then why bother to test it?

In short, I am not sure I get the need for this.
Well, it's just a "fun" utility. :lol:

Old 06-10-2005, 03:27 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Black...ish.

Old 06-11-2005, 06:11 AM
socrates63
Intellectual

Quote:
The actual color of the dead pixel depends on which element has gone bad. It could be black or white. There may be a third color but I'm not certain.

Knowing how anal I can be about things, I don't want to find out if there is a dead pixel in my display. I haven't seen one yet, and I want to leave it at that... if I find one, it's gonna nag me to the point that I might go and buy one of the new VGA models to the detriment of my wallet.... but then again... that might not be so bad... it's probably a faster route to a new PPC than waiting for my 2215 to become obsolete :devilboy:

Old 06-11-2005, 06:45 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates63
Quote:
The actual color of the dead pixel depends on which element has gone bad. It could be black or white. There may be a third color but I'm not certain.
The colour largely depends on the subpixel that has malfunctioned. Since each pixel is composed of a red, green and blue subpixel, if one goes, then the colour burnt on the screen is composed of the other two. In most cases however, the dead pixel results from a failure of the transistor which directs light through the subpixels. In that case, black appears to be the dominant colour.

IIRC, a lot of people have been complaining about dead pixels on their PSP. Apparently a few of the batches that shipped to the US suffer from it bad. :|

Old 06-12-2005, 10:41 AM
jeffmd
Thinker

errr, the liquid..in lcd..does not direct light.. it blocks it. ^^

A malfunctioning pixle thats black is very rare, incredably rare, infact if you have a black pixle.. I would blame the video card.

A "dead" pixle is actually a sort of misnomer, what is usualy fried is one of the millions of transistors that make up your lcd (tft, thin film transister, in each corner of a "color cell" is a transistor) and thus one color cell, or sub-pixle, dosn't operate. On rare occurances it may be active but stuck at a certain voltage (so instead of bright red, it might be dark red), but most of the time it outputs no power and the color cell never becomes "dark", thus an allways on mode. The other color cells that make up the single pixle usualy work fine though, so it only really becomes noticable when you have an all black image. Because the color cell is dead and never blocks light, a pixle that should be black (all 3 colors blocked) is now a shade of the color cell thats dead (so if red is dead, red light will be allowed to pass).

Old 06-15-2005, 09:45 AM
microchasm
Pupil
Default RE: Dead Pixels and "Stuck Pixels"

I used an application like this on an LCD TV and I had some stuck pixels that were fixed as a result. I also had a friend that had a Sony PSP that had some "dead pixels" also. He ran a utility for a couple of hours and fixed 6 out of 9 dead pixels on his PSP. Basically the app flashes red, green, blue screens.

It works I can attest. Depends on whether pixels are "stuck" versus atually dead.