Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-09-2005, 04:45 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default The Finalizer - Uber Cool BattleBot

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/...7BattleBot.mspx

"BattleBots, best known for their to-the-death duels on cable TV, have been billed a hit sport among geeks. Tough, remote-controlled robots armed with lethal saws, pulverizers or spears, they are built with one purpose in mind: to destroy an opposing BattleBot. At Microsoft�s biggest annual technology-education conference, The Finalizer made three appearances during a keynote address by Paul Flessner, Microsoft senior vice president for the Windows Server System Division. It even participated in two of the demos."

The Finalizer seems pretty sure of itself, so I'll let it do the talking this time. "I'm the first BattleBot powered by Microsoft technologies. Typical bots work like complex versions of remote control toy cars, consisting basically of a stick controller connecting servos � electro-mechanical devices that move control surfaces according to commands from a receiver. But I have a Pocket PC Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) on board that communicates with a PC over a Wi-Fi network. On the PDA is a pre-release version of the .NET Compact Framework 2.0." Way to go, my friend! :way to go:

Old 06-09-2005, 09:53 AM
surur
Mystic

Quote:
I also have fail safes, so if I lose communication, I�m smart enough to shut myself down. I was built to showcase some intelligent business logic features that can be put into controlling a bot.
Thats not very smart at all. All the opposition would need is a jamming device to disable this robot. How about "I'm smart enough to continue attacking on my own despite losing communication!" Then we would have the beginning of a maniacal robot revolution to take over the world !!! (all powered by MS software of course ) :devilboy:

Surur

Old 06-09-2005, 10:01 AM
langleyt
Neophyte
Default Robot Wars

To be honest that robot looks like it would last about five seconds against the beasts in Robot Wars (a TV series in Britain that has run for years, but now finished).

Kevlar or tiatnium coated with few protruding features, piercing blades, and compressed air rams capabale of firing that particular robot about 20ft out of the arena.

The best robots were Razer (piercing), Hypondisc (spinning) and Chaos 2 (flipping).

Old 06-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Steven Cedrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surur
Thats not very smart at all. All the opposition would need is a jamming device to disable this robot. How about "I'm smart enough to continue attacking on my own despite losing communication!"
True! In the interview with the beast he boasts "I also have fail safes, so if I lose communication, I�m smart enough to shut myself down." As soon as that happened he could be sliced and diced at his opponents leisure! I am with you, it should be "If I lose communication I go berserk and slice at anything that comes near me!" Hehehe! :wink:

Old 06-09-2005, 02:32 PM
mr_Ray
Intellectual

Agreed. That wouldn't last 5 seconds against the quality competition in Robot Wars.

Still, this is something that somebody's going to say so I might as well get it out of the way first. Microsoft OS? Glowing blue? Capable of killing? It's the Blue Robot of Death!

I wonder how much of the customisations here will make it into the final release of .NET CF v2? Can we expect to see System.SmashKillDestroy(TargetBot) as part of the managed API?

Old 06-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

I see that they have added the blue light of death to the thing. It will make any Windows based robots run in fear. 8O

Old 06-09-2005, 09:25 PM
boeman
Pupil

Quote:
Quote:
I also have fail safes, so if I lose communication, I�m smart enough to shut myself down. I was built to showcase some intelligent business logic features that can be put into controlling a bot.
Thats not very smart at all. All the opposition would need is a jamming device to disable this robot. How about "I'm smart enough to continue attacking on my own despite losing communication!" Then we would have the beginning of a maniacal robot revolution to take over the world !!! (all powered by MS software of course ) :devilboy:

Surur
or it could simply use up all the resources on the other robots, then sell it expensive licensing to allow it to continue competing. :twisted:

Old 06-09-2005, 09:46 PM
beq
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cedrone
Quote:
Thats not very smart at all. All the opposition would need is a jamming device to disable this robot. How about "I'm smart enough to continue attacking on my own despite losing communication!"
True! In the interview with the beast he boasts "I also have fail safes, so if I lose communication, I�m smart enough to shut myself down." As soon as that happened he could be sliced and diced at his opponents leisure! I am with you, it should be "If I lose communication I go berserk and slice at anything that comes near me!" Hehehe! :wink:
But then you'd have to instill The Finalizer with a basic core logic of morality (right vs. wrong) to prevent it from running amok. Remember when Data's brain was damaged, his morality subroutine took over...

Old 06-09-2005, 10:12 PM
threedaysdwn
Pupil

I just love the name.

The Finalizer, running .NET 2.0

teehee

Old 06-10-2005, 10:46 PM
jonathangoodyear
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to jonathangoodyear
Default Setting the record straight

I'd like to set the record straight with regards to The Finalizer.

1) The Finalizer robot itself was built by Zack Bieber of The Machine Lab (www.themachinelab.com). We was also the creator of the El Diablo and El Diablo Grande BattleBots that appeared on the Comedy Central TV show.

2) My company, ASPSOFT (www.aspsoft.com), ripped out the Futaba control architecture and replaced it with one that uses a combination of a PDA with the .NET Framework v2.0 Beta 2, a Smart Client Windows Forms application built with Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2, and an Xbox controller.

3) Microsoft's involvement with the project was purely financial in nature. We also received some funding from Dundas Software (www.dundas.com). When it became apparent that we were going to succeed in the venture, they approached us about using it at the Tech Ed keynote (which we happily agreed to)...That lead to the reasoning for #4 and #5 below.

4) I specifically instructed Zack to emphasize the "show" quality of the robot. That is why it has exposed tank treads instead of covered solid wheels, etched clear lexan body panels instead of steel or titanium, and an open body style that lights up instead of a closed body. A battle-hardened robot would not have provided the same effect up on stage. The Finalizer's offensive arsenal is official BattleBot quality, though.

5) Since The Finalizer demonstration at Tech Ed was not in an enclosed and protected arena, we felt it was both smart and prudent to build in fail-safes to shut it down if it lost contact with its controller. Obviously, we would give it other behavioral instructions if it were actually competing. Going berserk probably wouldn't have been the best option, considering there were several high level Microsoft executives on stage at the time. Or, maybe it would have (depending on where your technology loyalties lie, I suppose).

6) The Finalizer can also glow red, if you prefer.