Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 05-29-2005, 05:14 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Further Details on the HTC Wizard Revealed

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...23&page=6&pp=15

The Howard Forums site has been a hotbed of news and rumours lately regarding HTC's upcoming products, and today for the first time we have an image of the forthcoming HTC Wizard. The specs: quad-band GSM with EDGE, 802.11g, Bluetooth, a 1.3 megapixel camera, and a 240 x 320 screen. The design looks rather thick to me, but this is a rendering and the real device in the hand will probably be quite a bit different. It looks like an interesting device!

Old 05-29-2005, 05:26 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Further Details on the HTC Wizard Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
802.11g
About time! It's going to be great seeing 802.11g integrated in a batch of upcoming Pocket PCs. The future definitely looks bright!

Old 05-29-2005, 05:35 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Man that looks thick!

Old 05-29-2005, 05:46 AM
Swordsman74
Pupil

Umm...what am I not getting? This unit will be arriving after the HTC Universal, right? Yet the Universal has a full VGA screen and is thinner... That would make the Wizard a clear step backwards.

What did I miss?

Old 05-29-2005, 06:33 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
802.11g
About time! It's going to be great seeing 802.11g integrated in a batch of upcoming Pocket PCs. The future definitely looks bright!
Yah that�s great but wasn�t there a bottleneck with the OS itself when it comes to speed? :? I swear that Jason reported something about this last fall or last year sometime. What good is 802.11G if the OS is holding you up? Maybe 2005 will fix this.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:44 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
Yah that�s great but wasn�t there a bottleneck with the OS itself when it comes to speed? :? I swear that Jason reported something about this last fall or last year sometime. What good is 802.11G if the OS is holding you up? Maybe 2005 will fix this.
Windows Mobile 5.0 has full support for 802.11g. Earlier versions of Windows Mobile didn't.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:50 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
Quote:
Windows Mobile 5.0 has full support for 802.11g. Earlier versions of Windows Mobile didn't.
Yah but I'm not talking about 802.11G. I'm talking just 802.11B speeds. I in fact I know that it was brought up because I remember a Palm friend giving me crap over it in that transfer rates were better on Palm then on PPC. OK time to start Googling.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:57 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Yah but I'm not talking about 802.11G. I'm talking just 802.11B speeds. I in fact I know that it was brought up because I remember a Palm friend giving me crap over it in that transfer rates were better on Palm then on PPC. OK time to start Googling.
Right. I'm confused about what's going through your mind at the moment. First minute you were talking about 11g, next minute you're talking about 11b. :lol:

If you could point me to a link, that'd be great.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:36 AM
Fishie
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman74
Umm...what am I not getting? This unit will be arriving after the HTC Universal, right? Yet the Universal has a full VGA screen and is thinner... That would make the Wizard a clear step backwards.

What did I miss?
Hows about a device thats actually pocketable and when making calls doesnt look like you are pressing something at the side of your head that looks like one of those ultraportable laptops?

Old 05-29-2005, 07:47 AM
Kursplat
Intellectual

Darius,

I think Jonathon is saying that the bottleneck is the OS and not network bandwidth. If the OS is maxed out and you still aren't even using 100% of "b" bandwidth, jumping to "G" means nothing. The OS is STILL the bottleneck.

Think of it this way: a P.O.S. car that can only get up to 35MPH is not suddenly going to go faster if it goes from a 55MPH road to a 75MPH road. It's still only gonna poke along at 35MPH, because the car is the bottleneck, not the speed limit of the road.