Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-29-2005, 04:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Innobec SideWindow Available for Beta Testing

http://www.innobec.com/en/products.php

SideWindow allows you to use your Pocket PC as a virtual desktop extension for your computer, so if you need to drag your media player, your IM program, or even a photo album to your Pocket PC, you now can! SideWindow is currently in beta testing and the folk at Innobec Technologies are looking for feedback from any users interested in helping them out. As a reward, those who provide feedback will receive a free copy of SideWindow when it is released.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:14 AM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

Great concept, great idea. Only thing I noticed is that when I maximize a window on it, it doesn't really "maximize" and scrolls off the screen on my Ipaq 2215. Lotsa potential though!

Old 05-29-2005, 04:24 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Darius, this is exactly what I thought jedediah was talking about in the Using a ppc as an external display topic.

And wow, this does a pretty good job at doing exactly what I thought it would do - acting as an additional monitor to extend your PC's desktop. Only problem I see so far is it doesn't support VGA. Still great for a beta.

edit: awesome! a quick check of the settings, and it DOES support VGA (and even beyond, somehow.) Very good app.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:27 AM
zetsurin
Ponderer

Wow, this is very cool and performs very well on my XDA II Mini. Only query I have is how I could bring up the PocketPC on-screen keyboard to send keystrokes...

Old 05-29-2005, 04:36 AM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

Considering what it is, you wouldn't be able to do that. It's meant to be an auxiliary display, not a secondary keyboard. It's similar to hooking up another monitor.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:36 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsurin
Only query I have is how I could bring up the PocketPC on-screen keyboard to send keystrokes...
Send text to the Pocket PC (external display)? You just use your PC keyboard. Works fine for me. When you're running this program, it converts your Pocket PC from a separate mobile device to a small monitor. It works just like a secondary monitor.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:37 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUKid7
Darius, this is exactly what I thought jedediah was talking about in the Using a ppc as an external display topic.
Haha, I forgot about that discussion. Let's just hope he/she reads this then.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:58 AM
zetsurin
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzosi
Considering what it is, you wouldn't be able to do that. It's meant to be an auxiliary display, not a secondary keyboard. It's similar to hooking up another monitor.
Fair enough I guess, however I can control everything using the stylus as a mouse and invoke menu commands, so keyboard input from the PDA also would be a useful addition IMHO. I understand of course, I would need to ensure that I set focus to the PDA app before assuming the keyboard input would go into it. I guess the best way to use is to put the PDA next to the PC monitor on some kind of platform, thus making the PDA keyboard input less necessary, but if I were to go the the toilet while connected by Bluetooth I wouldn't miss any messages in there, hehe. Beats reading the shampoo bottle as well Sure there are chat clients for the PDA, but the PC versions are that bit richer and PDAs serve well as thin clients.

Very impressed by this software. I've been waiting for something cool to play with next

Old 05-29-2005, 05:11 AM
JPD6825
Intellectual

W?BIC!
Per square inch... wouldn't the PPC be about the most expensive monitor you ever put on your desk? I may just have to try this - to see for myself.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:17 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd6825
W?BIC!
Per square inch... wouldn't the PPC be about the most expensive monitor you ever put on your desk? I may just have to try this - to see for myself.
True, but what else do most people use their Pocket PCs for while they're cradled? And I've started using my Pocket PC for my AIM (with tabs via DeadAIM) window, so I can always see my IMs without blocking another window.