Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default New Travel Features Available in AvantGo

http://www.ianywhere.com/press_rele...el_service.html

"iAnywhere Solutions, Inc., a subsidiary of Sybase, Inc. (NYSE: SY), today announced the beta release of new travel features for its popular AvantGo mobile Internet service. The new AvantGo features are available as an additional "tab" within the application, enabling users to quickly and easily access flight itineraries, weather, directions, maps and city guides for 98 metro areas worldwide. The new features, sponsored by Cadillac, bring together access to user account information from top travel partners including Expedia Corporate Travel, Northwest Airlines, Sabre Virtually There and Travelocity Business, with additional partners to be announced."

The new travel tab in AvantGo offers convenient access to personalised airline and hotel information, which is great if you're always on-the-go. If you're an AvantGo 5.7 user, then you will be able to access these new travel features immediately. As the AvantGo Travel Service is still in beta, the final release is expected to have additional and expanded features and will be available in Q3 2005.

Old 05-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

They do seem bent on bloating and slowing this once decent application.

Old 05-26-2005, 05:30 PM
wm5051
Pupil
Default It can be removed

I have tried the app and is an option - you do not have to add it. Even if you do add it and decide you do not want it later, it can be removed.

Old 05-26-2005, 06:13 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator
Default Re: It can be removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm5051
I have tried the app and is an option - you do not have to add it. Even if you do add it and decide you do not want it later, it can be removed.
Yeah but the point is the old AvantGO is not so bloated. The old AG runs inside your own browser, not that crippled (even more than Pocket IE) custom browser of theirs that was so bad when it was first released that I refuse to try it again until they come up with something newer, leaner and more user friendly.

Old 05-26-2005, 06:20 PM
latinware
Pupil
Default Avantgo browser

I do not agree about AvantGo been a good browser. In my opinion it was much better using your own (MS in this case), at least you can have complete control. Let's hope they come out with something more like Firefox. 8)

Old 05-26-2005, 06:28 PM
wm5051
Pupil

I agree, the new AvantGo is bigger and they justify that with increased functionality - Dynamic HTML, new wireless features, alerts and now this travel application.

Still, if you do not want these features, you can add the 'old AvantGo' from their site if you prefer it. It is listed as AvantGo 3.3 Pocket Internet Explorer Integrated version.

If anything, I see it is a good sign that a company recognizes that not all users want a new app and still allow users to choose the older version.