Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-24-2005, 03:25 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default iBaby: Baby "Monitor" for Pocket PC Phones

http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en...x.php?soft=1332

"iBaby lets you monitor the sound level in a room and to make a call to a preset phone number when the program hears noise above that level. You pick up the phone, listen and then hang up. At the end of the call, iBaby recommences listening. It can be used, for example, in a room where Baby is sleeping, while you work on your tan in the backyard or chat with your neighbours."

What's more, the software is free. My first concern when I saw this was that of battery life; turns out iBaby can call you when the battery is running low, although I'd envision this working best if the Pocket PC Phone is cradled or plugged into AC. My second concern is the sensitivity of the microphone. If anyone gives this a try, report back -- it's certainly an unusual and interesting Pocket PC Phone application! Just make sure to keep the phone out of the baby's reach.

Old 05-24-2005, 04:33 AM
Dermot81
Intellectual

Creative

Old 05-24-2005, 04:46 AM
alabij
Intellectual

Hmmm.... Great idea. However, the PPC is not yet ready for that kind of situations. What happens when the device freezes or doesn't wake up?

Old 05-24-2005, 04:53 AM
TMann
Intellectual

For better or worse, this software sounds like it could be used for ANY sort of voice surveillance...you could hide the phone in a room and whenever someone started talking the phone would call you and allow you to listen in on the conversation. Not that I suppose that anyone would use a $600 Pocket PC phone just to listen in on conversations...

TMann

Old 05-24-2005, 05:16 AM
jimski
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann
For better or worse, this software sounds like it could be used for ANY sort of voice surveillance...you could hide the phone in a room and whenever someone started talking the phone would call you and allow you to listen in on the conversation. Not that I suppose that anyone would use a $600 Pocket PC phone just to listen in on conversations...

TMann
Not unless the conversation was between your wife and the milkman in your bedroom 8O . Actually I thought this was illegal. Back 25 years ago my cousin showed me a device that simply clipped onto your phone line (about 5 times the size of a PPC) and tucked under a piece of furniture furniture. Dial into the number and without ringing it would open a microphone. You could listen in as long as you liked. At the time I believe you needed a license to purchase it though.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:16 AM
surur
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann

TMann
I'm sure this particular effect will sabotage any such plan. It would be a bit suspicious to have the speakers start buzzing every time you start talking

Surur

Old 05-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Wow, it's almost like one big humanoid Tamagotchi. Baby "on-the-go".