Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 05-23-2005, 09:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default PalmSource CEO David Nagel Resigns

http://news.com.com/PalmSource+chief+steps+down/2100-1014_3-5716543.html?tag=nefd.top

"Nagel, who resigned as of Sunday, has been replaced by Patrick McVeigh, PalmSource senior vice president of worldwide licensing and sales. McVeigh will serve as interim CEO as the company initiates a search for a permanent replacement. Nagel will remain as a company adviser through mid-July to help with the transition, PalmSource said Monday. The company declined to comment on the reasons behind Nagel's resignation, but one analyst said he believes it was based on PalmSource's performance."

The announcement isn't helping their stock much. In a day when the NASDAQ was up half a percent, PalmSource dropped 1.33%. Their stock has lost over half its value in the last six months. There seems to be much rejoicing in the Palm fan community.

I don't think I need to go into details about my thoughts on a variety of OSs that have non-preemptive multitasking, no real file system, an inconsistency of apps across products for key features (email, media players), single categories for items, 1KB clipboard, etc. You can read this article for a list of things that have gone wrong with the PalmOS over the past few years. Seems like there hasn't been much progress, just lots of handwaving.

Old 05-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

*sits down with a bag of pop popcorn* Sweet. Its getting to the good part.

Reality ain't got NOTHING on Palm and their anticts. Now if we could get a tag team thing going with Linus, Steve, Bill, and the CEO of the year at Palm I'd be set.

Old 05-23-2005, 10:16 PM
PPCRules
Thinker

I just love it when Ed reports on Palm. He always tells it like it is. Actually, the way he tells it is the way it's always been, but, finally, I think more people are realizing it now.

We've gotta somehow rescue those Pa1mOne(/Handspring?) hardware designs from their current OS.

Old 05-23-2005, 10:41 PM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph

:deadhorse: When are they gonna realise that they are flogging a dead horse! Dump the OS!

Old 05-23-2005, 10:54 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

This was inevitable. What is PalmSource's strategy? How do they intend to survive? What are they doing about thier lack of licensee's and declining market share? These are all things the CEO should have been doing and addressing. Instead they keep changing to the coolest flavor of the week. From BeOS to Cobalt to Linux, they can't seem to figure out what to do next, all along clinging to a 10 year old OS that has been completely mangled so it's original strengths - ease of use, stability and speed no longer exist.

While we are at it, POS board of directors should also be looking for the nearest exit. They have overseen the complete incompetence shown by POS management for several years without batting an eye. :roll:

It's funny how owner's of iPods and PSP devices are trying to figure out how to add PIM functionality - but for years PALM kept telling all their users they didn't need multi-media functions. They blew a huge opportunity by not jumping on the multimedia bandwagon with a killer "zen-like" product while they still had a huge loyal base of users.

Let's hope this is a wake up call and POS finally gets it's stuff together to provide true competition in the PDA market.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Chris Spera
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Chris Spera

This is just me, but I think they need to scrap OS6 and start from scratch. They need to add all of the wonderful things that Ed mentions, like pre-emptive multi-tasking and a real file system, before they're going to have something to compete against WM2003SE and WM5.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 05-23-2005, 11:33 PM
jickbahtech
Intellectual
Send a message via Yahoo to jickbahtech

I second that.
I got my start on an M505, and I loved that little bugger...until I got my hands on an h3950, and it was pretty much all over from there.
The lifeDrive is definetly a step in the right direction hardware-wise, but PalmSource has totally dropped the ball supporting Palmone's hardware.

Having used both I'm pretty much OS agnostic, but right now WM is totally trouncing POS. I'm really hoping to see some more competition come out of the Palm camp, or I think they'll be going away (treo can't keep them afloat forever).

Old 05-24-2005, 12:25 AM
ritchiecook
Neophyte
Default Palm OS

You may say a lot of negative things about PALM OS, however I never reset my Palm. You have to reset a Pocket PC every 2 to 3 hours of use and battery life SUCKS! I am now on my 4th Pocket PC and Third Palm. PALM OS may not be perfect, either is windowsMobile.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:27 AM
bvkeen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JickBahTech
I second that.
I got my start on an M505, and I loved that little bugger...until I got my hands on an h3950, and it was pretty much all over from there.
The lifeDrive is definetly a step in the right direction hardware-wise, but PalmSource has totally dropped the ball supporting Palmone's hardware.

Having used both I'm pretty much OS agnostic, but right now WM is totally trouncing POS. I'm really hoping to see some more competition come out of the Palm camp, or I think they'll be going away (treo can't keep them afloat forever).
I second. I've been both a PPC and Palm user for a good long while, but have become disenchanted with PalmSource's support of Palm devices. The T5 was a good idea, but I don't know how many times I had to hard reset it due to software conflicts from its new memory management scheme. And the LifeDrive is a neat idea, but I've decided to not bother getting one because the initial reports on it are just too bad. Sounds like a good device with a poor OS.

I'd really like to see Palm get it together to keep some competition in the market, maybe adding a Linux OS to the LifeDrive, e.g. But, I think they are just too late on getting their act together.

I expect to be selling my T5 soon, as the one PDA I use almost exclusively now is my x50v. I have very few complaints with the x50v and I suspect most of those will go away when I get the WM2005 upgrade (better memory management and a decent Pocket Word). But, as much as I hate to say it, because Palm is what got me into PDAs to begin with, "bye-bye Palm, my old friend - I hope you get your act together."

Old 05-24-2005, 12:36 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Spera
This is just me, but I think they need to scrap OS6 and start from scratch. They need to add all of the wonderful things that Ed mentions, like pre-emptive multi-tasking and a real file system, before they're going to have something to compete against WM2003SE and WM5.

Just my 2 cents...
The problem is I personally doubt that they have time to build a new OS from scratch. I mean if you REALLY started something from scratch? Minimum a year I bet. Why do I get this image of Apple's transition from OS 9 to 10 here? How many times did they start and stop that project before Jobs came back?