Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 05-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Mio 169 Unveiled

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/A...ages=PR&seq=205

The Mio 169 GPS Pocket PC looks nice on the outside, but its inside leaves a little to be desired. It sports an Intel PXA255 400MHz processor, a 3.5" TFT, 32MB ROM, 64MB RAM, an SDIO slot, infrared, USB and Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition - all of this could arguably be described as a little ho-hum by today's standards. Nevertheless, as a dedicated GPS unit, I'm sure it will satisfy many Taiwanese users who can scoop up this unit on May 24 for NT$12,800 (~US$407). The Mio 169 includes Mio Map V8-branded maps of Taiwan.

Old 05-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Ward
Ponderer

I really like the way the buttons are laid out. Good for gaming!

Old 05-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Re: Mio 169 Unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
The Mio 169 GPS Pocket PC looks nice on the outside, but its inside leaves a little to be desired. It sports an Intel PXA255 400MHz processor, a 3.5" TFT, 32MB ROM, 64MB RAM, an SDIO slot, infrared, USB and Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition - all of this could arguably be described as a little ho-hum by today's standards. Nevertheless, as a dedicated GPS unit, I'm sure it will satisfy many Taiwanese users who can scoop up this unit on May 24 for NT$12,800 (~US$407).
Yeah, it's a bit underpowered for a geek Pocket PC, but if a U.S. version comes out around $407, it seems like a fair deal.

What I want to know is what that cut-out area on the bottom/right is. That isn't the speaker, is it?

Steve

P.S. Here's a link to PDA Live about this. This one doesn't require a paid subscription. :-)

Old 05-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Mitch D
Sage

I would have to agree with you to some extent Darius, the specs are somewhat lacluster but I still feel that these units are more configured as a GPS device than a "gaming" platform.

I will say the change in the antenna location and orientation are an improvement over the 168 when it comes to running the map software.

Old 05-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Dermot81
Intellectual

Once you go VGA, you can't go back :/

Old 05-22-2005, 03:16 AM
Darius Wey
Default Re: Mio 169 Unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA
P.S. Here's a link to PDA Live about this. This one doesn't require a paid subscription. :-)
Interesting. DigiTimes must be region-specific as I've never been prompted for a subscription when visiting the site.

Old 05-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Slightly off topic, only slightly, but does anyone know if there are any CF GPS units that do that flip down trick that the MIO does? I'm eyeing GPS for my 4705 but all the units I�m finding are so dang large. It would be really nice if someone came out with a CF GPS unit that could be folded down. :?

Old 05-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
Slightly off topic, only slightly, but does anyone know if there are any CF GPS units that do that flip down trick that the MIO does? I'm eyeing GPS for my 4705 but all the units I�m finding are so dang large. It would be really nice if someone came out with a CF GPS unit that could be folded down. :?
Have you checked out the Haicom HI-303/HI-305 range?

Old 05-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Quote:

haicom. Never heard of them. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Haicom

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
I actually have one. While it does flip down, I suspect the case of the 4700 will prevent it from flipping down all the way, so you'll have the antenna partially closed. It certainly works that way in my Compact Flash sleeve.

The unit is designed more to fold up for storage in its bag and to be flexible to make it easy to angle the antenna; it's not really designed to be folded out of way while being in a CF slot.

UPDATE: Here's a photo I found of the antenna closed in an iPAQ 2210 (I think). While it does appear to fold flat, it still sticks up from the top quite a bit, and the antenna is fairly fat, so fitting the unit in a case could be a challenge.

Steve