Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default 550,000 Article Lexipedia Released

"The largest and most expansive reference work in the history of human knowledge can now be on your Pocket PC. Based on the Wikipedia encyclopedia project, Lexipedia contains over 550,000 articles that are quickly and easily searched. This massive tome requires a fair amount of storage but it pays for itself by being the go-to place for just about any reference question you may have. Classics, biographies, the plant and animal kingdom, human history, music, bands, movies, business, military, medical, it just goes on and on and on. Lexipedia includes just the summary sections or beginnings of articles in order to make the product a manageable size. A textually unabridged version will also be available shortly as part of the same product - it will just be an optional download at no further cost."

If you're like me, and you enjoy having gobs of information at your fingertips, this is the kind of product that's simply awesome to have installed on your Pocket PC. You'll need to install it to a fairly hefty storage card (but hey, =50:105"]they're cheap now), but this is a lot of excellent information. The price is right at $13.99, so if you're a trivia buff, or just like having the last word in a discussion about facts, this is your kind of application. ;-) They've also updated Lextionary and Concise Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, so feel free to take a look.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:14 PM
Ward
Ponderer

Its 222Mb.

My latest Wikipedia dump is around 511Mb.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Must..appear...to...know... EVERYTHING!

This looks like a great piece of "Impresso-ware" for your pocket, as well as a great educational time waster (Heck, last night I spent a few hours on Wikipedia just looking up random things and learning lots of great trivia). I'm deffinetly going to give it a try.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Ward
Ponderer

If you have a copy of Tomeraider and a spare 511Mb, this might be a better option.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:52 PM
SHC
Intellectual

I've got it. It's very good but there is a minor niggle. If an article is longer than a single screen, there is no way to scroll down. There are no scroll bars or forward button, only a back button. Unless i'm missing something obvious - which is possible 'cos I've got the Flu. :cry:

Old 05-17-2005, 04:04 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
If you have a copy of Tomeraider and a spare 511Mb, this might be a better option.
I used his scripts to build a Wikipedia with pictures from the SQL source downloads. Final size was 2GB and took two days to compile

Old 05-17-2005, 07:35 PM
revolution.cx
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHC
I've got it. It's very good but there is a minor niggle. If an article is longer than a single screen, there is no way to scroll down. There are no scroll bars or forward button, only a back button. Unless i'm missing something obvious - which is possible 'cos I've got the Flu. :cry:
Which Pocket PC do you have? I haven't heard of this before and will be happy to look into it (I'm the developer).

Old 05-17-2005, 07:58 PM
mlkaufman
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Or, if you have a copy of Tomeraider and a spare 2.4 gig, you can produce the version with pictures. Lots of fun to browse.

Michael

Old 05-18-2005, 12:43 AM
SirOops
Neophyte
Default Publication of Wikipedia with images for TomeRaider is around the corner

The English Wikipedia for TomeRaider with images will be available in a day or two in three versions for Pocket PC (Palm versions will follow later):

size < 1Gb 90,000+ images up to 210 pixels, strong jpg compression
size < 2Gb 145,000+ images up to 240 pixels, better image quality
size 2.6 Gb 150,000 images up to 295 pixels, even better image quality and many maps stored at original size (heuristically determined)

Old 05-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Myrddin
Ponderer

To the developer of Lexipedia: Great product! I will be purchasing it after I type this post. A query however, when will the full "unabridged" version be available? Will it contain images (I don't really want them.. too much space taken up.) and how big will it be?