Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 05-11-2005, 06:58 AM
Peter Foot
Thinker
Default Windows Mobile 5.0 SDKs

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/e...ndowsMobile.asp

Attendees at MEDC were given a disc during this mornings keynote session containing the SDKs and emulators required to develop with Windows Mobile 5.0. You can now view all of the SDK documentation online here at MSDN. You can also download the SDKs from MSDN:

Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK for Pocket PC
Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK for Smartphone

Old 05-11-2005, 01:44 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

Both links are pointing to the same file.

Question: the 5 SDK can be checked in VS 2003? I don't want (CAN NOT) install the 2005 at this moment and I would like to start checking my current applications in the wm5 enviroment.

Old 05-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctitanic
Both links are pointing to the same file.
Thanks for the heads-up. I've updated the post.

Quote:
Question: the 5 SDK can be checked in VS 2003? I don't want (CAN NOT) install the 2005 at this moment and I would like to start checking my current applications in the wm5 enviroment.
As far as I'm aware, it will only work in VS2005 (latest is Beta 2). As a safeguard, the installer is designed to check for the presence of the newer version.

Old 05-11-2005, 02:37 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

I�m planning to buy the upgrade to VS 2005 as soon as it�s available but I'm afraid of installing the current beta because of my current work. It's not clear to me if I compile my current projects under 2005 how that is going to be affected from the point of view of compatibility with current devices running 2003 and 2003SE. In another words, if I start to use 2005 beta in my current applications will my current users in 2002, 2003 and 2003SE need to install the latest SP or they will able to use my applications (of course, as long as I don't include any of the new features included in WM 5)?

I'm a little confuse about how using 2005 right now could affect my business at this moment. :|

Old 05-11-2005, 03:17 PM
picard
Ponderer

It seems I can't avoid installing VS2005 Beta2. Last time my machine got messed up with the older Beta, had to reinstall everything I will use a different non work related PC this time...

Old 05-11-2005, 04:38 PM
alex_kac
Thinker

Quote:
I�m planning to buy the upgrade to VS 2005 as soon as it�s available but I'm afraid of installing the current beta because of my current work. It's not clear to me if I compile my current projects under 2005 how that is going to be affected from the point of view of compatibility with current devices running 2003 and 2003SE. In another words, if I start to use 2005 beta in my current applications will my current users in 2002, 2003 and 2003SE need to install the latest SP or they will able to use my applications (of course, as long as I don't include any of the new features included in WM 5)?

I'm a little confuse about how using 2005 right now could affect my business at this moment. :|
I have VS2005 Beta 2 installed alongside my eVC 4 install. I now do all my work in VS2005 - including debugging my WM2003 builds. I then make final builds using my batch scripts for eVC4 since although the WM2003 support in VS2005 beta 2 is supposed to be final or near final and ready for deployment, I'm not ready to go there yet for public releases.

VS2005 Beta 2 works beautifully for WM2003 (and can also compile for WM2002 with a few project setting changes).

Before beta 2, I installed everything on a fresh clean XP PC that is used solely for testing. I figure that I plan to redo my main machine anyway in 6 months when VS 2005 RTM comes out, so installing beta 2 on the main machine is fine - especially with the MS Golive license.

Old 05-11-2005, 04:45 PM
David McNamee
Philosopher

Quote:
Do not put the Visual Studio 2005 beta on a machine that is used for production work. The beta is very stable, but it is still a beta and is not supported.

If you have a copy of Virtual PC, install VS 2005 into an image running there. Only install the beta on real hardware that you don't care about re-imaging at RTM.

Old 05-11-2005, 04:54 PM
alex_kac
Thinker

VS 2005 does not run well under VPC. I tried it. It hangs a lot reading/writing files. And actually MS has publicly said that VS 2005 Beta 2 IS ready for production work. And if you're doing any WM5 dev - you have no choice.

I personally have found the beta to have some weird issues, but at least in my case I plan to reimage when RTM comes out anyway just due to my yearly re-imaging

Old 06-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Prashant Rana
Pupil

Hey these are really useful SDK's....

Thanks a lot....