Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Kasuei Releases Hitchhiker for Windows Mobile 2003

http://www.kasuei.com/hitchhiker/

"Hitchhiker helps you to connect your Pocket PC to the wireless Internet. Simply click Connect and it will try all nearby public access points. Hitchhiker will handle all settings for you and perform complicated tests to ensure you can connect to the Internet in no time."

Sporting a user-friendly interface, Hitchhiker takes the pain out of connecting to a public hotspot. It is packed with the ability to perform automated access point association tests, DHCP tests, DNS tests and internet connectivity tests. Version 0.1 of Hitchhiker is available as a free download from Kasuei.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:05 PM
msprague
Thinker

I've installed this on my X50v and so far so good. It shows available networks and will try to connect, but I don't have any open APs or hotspots in range here.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Ward
Ponderer

This is more like it. A useful utility at the right price point.

But I wouldn't mind seeing WiFi Graph from the same developer integrated with it.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

First and foremost, it doesn't work with WZC disabled. This is one of the biggets problems with it. WiFiFoFum, its main alternative, works in this case too.

Also, if you happen to download the desktop installer MSI file, it may complain of the lack of a certain version of the .NET framework (so far, it was the only one installed that wanted to install this). In this case, by installing right the CAB version, you can circumwent this problem.

Old 05-09-2005, 03:06 PM
zilla31
Sage

just curious but what's the point of using something like this (or wififofum) over the built in utility that finds APs and connects you (using an x50v)?

Old 05-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Compulim
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to Compulim

Hitchhiker use WZC to control WLAN. So if you disable WZC, the application will not work. And I'll explain why we are choosing WZC over NDIS.

There're two components controlling WLAN in your Pocket PC, WZC and NDIS. WZC will override the control of NDIS, so you can actually do nothing with NDIS but only measuring WLAN readings.

In the old days, developer create WLAN utility with NDIS because their specs is widely available. But to control WLAN with NDIS, the user will have to disable WZC and soft-reset your Pocket PC to take effect.

With the release of WM2005, Microsoft is fading out NDIS and prefers WZC instead. The main reason we choose WZC is because user do not need to soft-reset their machine every time they use the application.

I hope you understand and apologize for any inconveniences caused.

Old 05-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla31
just curious but what's the point of using something like this (or wififofum) over the built in utility that finds APs and connects you (using an x50v)?
WiFiFoFum (or any other, similar tool, even commercial ones also supporting closed AP's like Odyssey) has tons of advantages over WZC:

- it does not search (and try to connect to) networks in the background
- it only connects to what you really want to connect to and not to an arbitrary / already visited one
- it doesn't annoy the user with constant 'Connect to' Connectivity bubbles
- it causes no Wi-Fi throughput hit because of the constant looking for new AP's in the background (not that it would be THAT much with WZC; see for example http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=35119 and http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=36376 on my measurements of the runtime bandwidth and CPU hit caused by this)
- WiFiFoFum also displays a lot of additional info (signal strength, is it locked/open etc) and can even be used with a GPS for 'real' warddriving.

Old 05-09-2005, 03:24 PM
zilla31
Sage

damn that def does sound nice. if i install wififofum how do i disable the popup bubbles and all that (from the out of the box setup)? i hate those.

Old 05-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compulim
The main reason we choose WZC is because user do not need to soft-reset their machine every time they use the application.
I don't really see the point: if you disable WCZ and, therefore, rely entirely on NDIS, you only need to reset the PPC only once to get into the WZC-free mode (so that the operating system notices the change in the Registry). Then, you can initiate (and terminate) any number of Wi-Fi connections without resetting the PDA in between them.

Old 05-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla31
damn that def does sound nice. if i install wififofum how do i disable the popup bubbles and all that (from the out of the box setup)? i hate those.
Get it from http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~hall/WZCDisabler.zip .

Also see http://www.pocketpcmag.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=15393 on the subject.