Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default eReader Pro Updated - New Reading Feature Added

http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/15005

eReader.com has released an updated version of their eReader Pro software for the Pocket PC. eReader Pro has a number of features not supported in the free eReader software and one of my favorites has been allowing reference ebooks to be used, like dictionaries. The problem is the app was very slow in looking up words. This speed has been greatly improved and it works fine with my 10.5MB College Dictionary I purchased from them a few years ago.

More interesting than that though is a new feature called RSVP, or Rapidly Scrolls Voluminous Phrases. No, wait. It is Rapid Serial Visual Presentation.

You control how fast it works, whether you want 1, 2 or 3 words at a time and other settings. Personally, I don't care for it. I never cared for the autoscrolling that the eReader Pro version has either, but I know many people love that feature so I have no doubt some of you will appreciate the new RSVP feature. It is simple to enable and turn on. Once on, the lower two thirds of the screen highlights the word(s) in the RSVP window, which is at the top of the screen. The idea is you rarely if ever look at the bottom part of the screen and just let the word(s) flash by at the top, preventing your eyes from ever having to move. It is a feature you will want to either use or don't as switching between RSVP mode and full page mode requires fully repaginating the whole book. The Pro version is $14.95 and comes with a small dictionary.

Old 04-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Paragon
Magi

eReader.... :werenotworthy:

Old 04-25-2005, 05:55 PM
thanos255
Intellectual

Does anyone know of a way to convert the pdb files to pdf files???

I love ereader and am now using a tabletpc. I would LOVE the ability to use ink for notes on these books!!

Anyone?

Old 04-25-2005, 06:29 PM
alex_kac
Thinker

One thing that greatly troubles me - the new RSVP feature is a direct copy of Mobile Dynamo's Speed Reader Plus's Color Bar technology which is patent pending according to their website. Even if you don't agree with sw patents (I don't), its very sad to see this.

I hope the makers of eReader do the right thing and license it from this small developer.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Still no full screen option. :?

Old 04-26-2005, 04:10 AM
asuspocketpcw
Pupil

The main thing for me is that it finally supports my VGA display--very crisp text

Old 04-26-2005, 06:09 AM
juni
Sage

I was waiting for this, but now that it is out I think I'll uninstall it. I just got used to MS Reader and buying books from fictionwise (in unlocked format).

Old 04-26-2005, 08:56 AM
TheWolfen
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juni
I was waiting for this, but now that it is out I think I'll uninstall it. I just got used to MS Reader and buying books from fictionwise (in unlocked format).
I used to use MS Reader exclusively, until I got a VGA device. After trying them all, I chose eReader and am quite happy with it. Even disregarding VGA, I find it superior to MS Reader (even the free version of eReader).

Old 04-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Kathy_Harris
Ponderer

I prefer MS Reader only because I can make ebooks easier. I tried making palm ebooks but it actually takes effort to figure out how. I'm simply too lazy

Old 04-26-2005, 03:10 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

The ultimate sign of laziness in our society - now its a bother to even have to move our eyes when we read