Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 04-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default HP Mobile Messenger Shows Up On HP's Dutch Site

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/nl/nl/ho/WF06b/22797-22801-22801-22801-298363-12157868-39256091.html

HP has put the new Mobile Messenger on their Dutch site. I can't tell from the specs if this has WiFi or not.

Update: HP Africa has posted the same info in English.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:30 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

If its the 6500, then supposedly not. Its the 6700 that's going to have WiFi (again, supposedly).

Old 04-07-2005, 06:39 PM
ADBrown
Pontificator

No, no WiFi, but you missed a piece of information. The 6500 was supposed to run on a 520 MHz processor. Now it's been bumped down to 312 MHz.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:49 PM
szamot
Sage

Sad speed, sad feature sheet, sad screen, looks like another wonder from the great minds at HP. So while the rest of the world is getting MDA IV North America is getting its severely retarded cousin the new HP 6500 or as I would call it a step above Etch-a-sketch. Sad, sad, sad.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:04 PM
MS Mobiles
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by szamot
Sad speed, sad feature sheet, sad screen, looks like another wonder from the great minds at HP. So while the rest of the world is getting MDA IV North America is getting its severely retarded cousin the new HP 6500 or as I would call it a step above Etch-a-sketch. Sad, sad, sad.
If this iPAQ Mobile Messenger would cost the same as HTC Magician (MDA Compact, i-mate JAM, etc) = be cheap - then it would make sense, but with low resolution and speed, and high price (700 Euro) this phone will hardly be a success....

Old 04-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Chris Spera
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Chris Spera

I've been thinking about this device a lot recently. I think many of us are missing the point. I truly believe that this device is NOT intended to compete with Palms; but with Blackberries instead.

Look at the form factor and screen. They're very similar is size and resolution. The device isn't meant to be a poweruser device. Its meant for the masses that want Blackberry styled e-mail, but don't want BlackberryOS.

This device is rumored to run WM2005, which is supposed to have push e-mail built in. Brighthand ran a piece today that indicates that MS may be holding it up to see if Visto Corporation will file a patent infringment lawsuite against Smartner and their Duality Push eMail System. While I am certain the WM2005 will have push email, MS may have to cut some sort of deal with Visto before it releases the OS, or else face yet ANOTHER lawsuite.

If the hx6500 does well, then the hx6700 may NOT. The 6700 will likely have the higher end processor and features (wi-fi and better camera, among others). Its going to be more expensive. the 6315 is NOT selling well for T-Mobile, so I think many potential high-end users that may be interested in this device (because they want to dump their BB, but NOT the BB form factor) are in wait-and-see mode waiting on sales numbers and initial reviews.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Birdman
Theorist

Well said. I am a long time user of a PPCPE device and I would love to switch to a BB but I do not want to give up some of the functionality I get with the PPC. (AvantGo, ewallet, ListPro, etc.). While I would like to have Wi-Fi (in order to continue to benefit from the PPC functionality), this device and form factor would be good for me. BB like functionality, while still running PPC OS.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:40 PM
powder2000
Thinker

Chris, if you're right, then why would something that is supposed to compete with a relatively cheap blackberry cost so much? If the price is indeed $700 Euros, that is a hell of a lot more than most people are willing to pay.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:56 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

Actually, I thought the 6315 sold, at least initially, very well for T-Mobile.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Chris Spera
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Chris Spera

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder2000
Chris, if you're right, then why would something that is supposed to compete with a relatively cheap blackberry cost so much? If the price is indeed $700 Euros, that is a h-ll of a lot more than most people are willing to pay.
I'm not certain the pricing has been finalized. Everything up to now, I think, is speculative. While 700Euros probably works out to over $800US, my guess is that the subsidized price will be in the $499US range. The Treo650 is currently listed at $449.99 on cingular, while the SX66 is $549.99. I would assume this to be priced in the same ballpark; but don't quote me. I don't have any inside information.