Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-26-2005, 03:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Reader for Pocket PC Updated

http://www.microsoft.com/reader/downloads/ppc.asp

"Pocket PC users, please note that the new version of Microsoft Reader for Pocket PC (version 2.4) posted today is a bug fix release primarily intended for users of devices running Windows Mobile 2003 and Windows Mobile 2003, Second Edition. While this version will run on all supported Pocket PC devices, we are only recommending that users of devices running these operating systems upgrade. Upgrading will not require reactivation of your Pocket PC device."

I know many of you have had problems with Microsoft Reader in the past, so I'll be hoping, along with you, that this release fixes them. So if you give this a go, feel free to report back. Apart from the fixes for known performance issues, there are a couple of new features, namely "pan and zoom" and "rotate and resize". Version 2.4 is compatible with all Pocket PCs running Pocket PC 2002 and above. More details on the update can be found at the Microsoft Reader for Pocket PC webpage.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:52 AM
VictoNight
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to VictoNight

I was excited to see the upgrade with having multiple e-books on my old h2215. Now I have an hx4700 and I was very disappointed with the problems MSreader had. Yet, I just upgraded my device with the new software and although the text is clear in both landscape and portrait I am missing icons such as the two arrows on the bottom of the screen which are shown as an "S" and "T". And others that are normally there are replaced with various letters and numbers. I'm interested to know if this is a common problem, as strange as it is. Everything else seems to be working fine, just the cosmetic issues.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:58 AM
krypticide
Ponderer

You have a problem with your installation. The fonts for Microsoft Reader weren't properly installed, hence why you see text there.

On other news, each time I've downloaded this, it's given me 2.3. Is this because I'm in Singapore right now???

Old 03-26-2005, 05:04 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypticide
On other news, each time I've downloaded this, it's given me 2.3. Is this because I'm in Singapore right now???
I doubt it. I'm in the same timezone as you and I can get v2.4 without any problems. Try this link - it should be the English EXE for v2.4.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:26 AM
krypticide
Ponderer

Okay, thanks, I'm trying it out. I'm pretty sure this is the same link that I used, but I'll tray again.

Can you check the last page under Settings in Microsoft Reader. Does it show 2.3 or 2.4?

With 2.3, I could do landscape, but the rotation (and rotation back) took forever as the pages realigned I guess. Of course, I was reading a 5000 page book...

Old 03-26-2005, 08:30 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Can you check the last page under Settings in Microsoft Reader. Does it show 2.3 or 2.4?
Yeah, I checked this earlier in the day. It's v2.4 (Build 5070).

Old 03-26-2005, 10:19 AM
krypticide
Ponderer

Weird...when I run the setup file and look at the EULA, it says 2.3 still. Could you possibly send me or post the setup file that you used? Even better, the CAB file...this is really bizarre.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Weird...when I run the setup file and look at the EULA, it says 2.3 still. Could you possibly send me or post the setup file that you used? Even better, the CAB file...this is really bizarre.
Unfortunately, I can't post the file. Redistributing the file would breach Microsoft's Licence Agreement, so for now, I can only suggest that you flush your temporary internet files and try again. If that fails, perhaps wait a few hours to see if you can access the latest version off their servers.

Old 03-26-2005, 01:35 PM
lekim2
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoNight
.... I am missing icons such as the two arrows on the bottom of the screen which are shown as an "S" and "T". And others that are normally there are replaced with various letters and numbers....
If you installed to main memory, then you haven't done a soft reset. If you installed to storage you need to copy the 'ttf' files to the Windows\fonts directory of the PPC and do a soft reset.

PPC doesn't 'do' fonts on storage except with 3rd party software.

Old 03-26-2005, 02:05 PM
shawnc
Pontificator
Default Re: Microsoft Reader for Pocket PC Updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
"While this version will run on all supported Pocket PC devices, we are only recommending that users of devices running these operating systems (WM 2003 WM 2003 SE) upgrade. Upgrading will not require reactivation of your Pocket PC device."
This is a little confusing and a LOT scary. I particularily like the Pan and Zoom as well as resizing features but don't understand why MS is only recommending the upgrade for WM2003 devices. It's almost like there setting themselves up to say "well, I told you not to upgrade" to the rest of us after it blows up our PPC or something :twisted: .