Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 03-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default How Long Have You Owned a Pocket PC?

As I look at our forums, I see a range of questions: some simple questions, coming from new users, and some complex questions coming from people who are on their second or third generation of Pocket PCs. I'd like to get a feeling for how long you've owned your Pocket PC. This survey is particularly important because it helps me to know who "you" are when I talk about the community here and it being a blend of new and experienced users. If everyone reading this could answer the poll (it's completely anonymous), I'd really appreciate it!

Old 03-28-2005, 04:01 PM
piperpilot
Sage

So far, with 3 votes in, everyone has been in the PPC world for 2+ years. That's cool!

Old 03-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

Not only have I been a PPC user for longer than two years, but I blame it all on you guys :lol:

Old 03-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Ketsugi
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to Ketsugi

53 votes for 2 years+ and so few for the other options? That seems a little warped; has someone been padding votes somehow?

I remember my first Pocket PC: an HP Jornada 540. Yum!

Old 03-28-2005, 04:22 PM
yawanag
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzosi
Not only have I been a PPC user for longer than two years, but I blame it all on you guys :lol:
My feelings exactly!

Old 03-28-2005, 04:24 PM
allenalb
Ponderer

what this poll is telling me is that jason needs to get out there more and evangelize this site

Old 03-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Kowalski
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski

only 11% of people using ppc less than 1 year,
i call this an experienced community!!!

Old 03-28-2005, 04:34 PM
hamishmacdonald
Thinker

Here's the chronology of the devices I've owned. (Just writing them out here for my own sake, and to shock myself when I think about how much all this has cost me.)
  • Newton 2100
    Jornada 545
    (Jornada 568 - briefly, had dust issues)
    iPAQ 3850
    Fujitsu Siemens PocketLoox 630
    iPAQ 2210
    (Fujitsu-Siemens PocketLOOX 720 - broken screen, replaced, sold on eBay)
    (Dell Axim x50v - filestore memory fault, replaced, sold on eBay)
    Asus MyPal A730W (bought while waiting for the LOOX and Axim repairs -- turns out I really, really like it. It's my favourite of the three VGA Pocket PCs I tried.)

PocketPCThoughts consistently proves to be the best resource when it comes to getting answers about issues I have. I think it's the best thing going, whatever level you're at.

Old 03-28-2005, 04:35 PM
gt24
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenalb
what this poll is telling me is that jason needs to get out there more and evangelize this site
Actually, it might indicate something else. If you purchase a pocket pc because you found it to be nifty in a store (like Circuit City) or because a website inticed you (Dell.com), you will have a new device and you won't have a tremendously great idea as to what your device can do.

True, on some of the vendor CD's that come with pocket pcs, there are inticements to check out Handango (can anybody else comment on their CD experiences?!) however other than this, there isn't any generic resource, for a new pocket pc user, that allows them to learn more.

Yes, if new users Google Search, they can run across this site and others, and maybe even run into the Pocket PC Mag. best links website. However, this could take quite a bit of time (which means that newer users aren't here to add to the poll). While I suppose it is up to the user to learn about what their device can do, I can see how it would be much harder to learn about these devices if you didn't know a friend or two who owns one.

Unfortunately, the learning curve problem here... I'm not too certain how it can be solved... other than by linking to prominent sites, but those links will severely benefit certain websites and harm others. So, in the end, I'm not too sure what could work to solve that issue...

Old 03-28-2005, 04:53 PM
rlobrecht
Thinker

I'd love to see a further breakdown of that more than two years option. My first actual pocket PC was an iPaq 3630, but I had two Palm Sized PCs before that, and an HP 95LX before that.