Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-25-2005, 08:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default MIDI In Your Pocket with PocketAMP 2

http://www.vsoftsol.com/pocketmidi/

"To the rescue comes PocketAMP 2. PocketAMP is a simple program that lets you have your wish - MIDI playback on any Pocket PC device. It sounds great, is easy to use, and can actually come in handy in a variety of situations (like impressing your Palm buddies)."

There are probably 101 reasons why you'd need advanced MIDI playback on your Pocket PC, so I won't delve into that too much. PocketAMP 2 (the update to PocketMIDI) has a huge bundle of features including: an easy-to-use interface, advanced playback controls (tempo, transpose, solo/mute), quality controls, a modular engine, and much more. It's still in the Release Candidate phase, so if you find any bugs, the developers would probably appreciate it if you could report it so that it's all nicely patched up when the final version is released. Also, did I mention this was free?

Old 03-25-2005, 08:50 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

Great thanks for the link. I always thought that Pocket WMP should have midi support.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_shan
Great thanks for the link. I always thought that Pocket WMP should have midi support.
Unfortunately, no. WMP Mobile is still really basic whichever way you look at it. Comparing WMP on the PC and Pocket PC is very much an apples/oranges thing.

Old 03-25-2005, 03:16 PM
i_spock
Ponderer

OK maybe I'm dumb, or maybe it's too early in the morning on a non-work day, but I can't think of any of the 101 reasons why this might be cool. Can someone help me out? ops:

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_spock
OK maybe I'm dumb, or maybe it's too early in the morning on a non-work day, but I can't think of any of the 101 reasons why this might be cool. Can someone help me out? ops:
Haha. It was a figure of speech, but a donut to anyone who does have 101 reasons.

Old 03-25-2005, 03:34 PM
archinemnon
Pupil

My SX66 came with the "Album" program on it as well as the MIDlet manager. Can anyone suggest a reason why this program would be more useful than the one that shipped in rom with my device? Looks handy for someone who doesn't have that functionality built in though. Although I can't say I've ever listened to a MIDI file before... MP3 works great for me.

Old 03-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Don't Panic!
Oracle

Reason Number 1, The Space Battleship Yamoto (Star Blazers) theme is in Midi format. ops:

Old 03-25-2005, 04:32 PM
njl2016
Ponderer

This program might have a short life. It uses the old VB Runtimes for PocketPC, which won't be supported in the next version of Windows Mobile.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:01 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
Haha. It was a figure of speech, but a donut to anyone who does have 101 reasons.
I think the last time I used Midi files was 1998 - and that was becuase it was the first year I had a computer at home, and I didn't know any better ...

Old 03-25-2005, 05:06 PM
sponge
Philosopher

Games can use it as an alternative to MOD, etc. Mostly ports of old DOS games. However, we already have a port of the open-source Timidity.