Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team
Default Now, Where is that Electronic 'Cash'? -- CodeWallet Pro 2005 reviewed.

Product Category: Personal Security Software
Manufacturer: Developer One, Inc.
Where to Buy: Handango (affiliate link)
Price: $29.95 USD.
System Requirements: Requires Windows Mobile 2003, 2003 SE or Phone Edition. (It will not work with Pocket PC 2000 or 2002)
Specifications:Requires 1.88M of Available RAM. Languages supported include: English (US and UK), German, French, Italian, Russian, Dutch (Belgian & Netherlands), Norwegian (Nynorsk & Bokmal), Spanish, Swedish, Hungarian, and Lithuanian. A Desktop Edition is also available.

Pros:
  • Simple tree-structured access to information;
  • Supports multiple levels of hierarchy for organizing information (e.g. folders within folders, etc.);
  • New, graphical icons and backgrounds for card entries;
  • Support for file (and sound) attachments to cards;
  • Synchronization with desktop version;
  • Auto shutdown and other security features;
  • Customizable cards and templates.
Cons:
  • Wallet sizes increase dramatically over previous versions;
  • Menus at the bottom need to be re-structured. The �Menu� menu needs to be split up;
  • Export is to text file only (not really importable to spreadsheets or other applications).
Summary: CodeWallet has been around for quite a while, and it has been a favorite for storage of personal and sensitive information. The 2005 version retains the overall concept and structure, but adds features which make it more visually appealing and customizable. It also has a desktop version available which will fully synchronize with the Pocket PC.

Read On for the full review!

Introduction
I�ve been using CodeWallet (and CodeWallet Pro) since I received a copy on the software CD which came with my iPAQ 2215. So, I guess that�s makes me a long-time user! :-) Although I�ve tried other secure filers/wallets, what�s always brought me back to CodeWallet is the simplicity and compactness of the information structure and interface. While it wasn�t fancy, it was easy to find the information I needed quickly, and I was confident of its security on my Pocket PC.

It�s obvious though, that Developer One has been listening and watching its competitors. The latest incarnation, CodeWallet Pro 2005 v5.03, which has just been released, boasts a much more graphically-oriented interface, a raft of new customization features, and a desktop version which provides full update and synchronization capability with the Pocket PC application.

Installation
Installation of CodeWallet Pro 2005 is simple and straightforward, using the MS Activesync routines. The installation routine also installs �registry� and menu entries on your desktop PC, but these are primarily for removal of the application. As mentioned above, a desktop version is available, which will let you review and manage/update the wallet contents on the desktop or Pocket PC and keep the two in sync (again via Activesync as the connection infrastructure). For those of us who are directly connected to the Internet, Developer One also provides a .CAB version of the application which can be directly downloaded to your device and installed without using Activesync. (Link to .CAB file)

I was pleased to see that Pro 2005 is installed as a separate application from previous versions of CodeWallet. On my pre-release version, it installed as CodeWallet Pro 5 in the Projects directory. I also tested the downloadable 5.03 update from Developer One�s web site and it installed the same way. The two versions (older and Pro 5) co-existed quite happily, although as expected, the old version could not read the formats of the new wallets. After I got comfortable with Pro 2005, I was able to remove the old version of CodeWallet with no apparent effect on the new application.

Conversion of Old Wallets
Wallets in CodeWallet Pro 2005 utilize a new, expanded format for the files. This means that wallets created with older versions (Version 3 or 4) of CodeWallet will need to be converted. Fortunately, this is accomplished automatically when you attempt to open up a wallet in the old format. CodeWallet Pro 2005 will locate them when you select the �Wallets� option from the Menu menu, and then will convert them when they are selected.

Figure 1: Converting an old wallet.

Conversion only takes a couple of seconds, but be aware that there is a tremendous difference in the size of the wallets. Developer One says that most wallets will approximately double in size, but on mine, it quadrupled -- from 30K to 128K!

Figure 2: Note the difference in size between the 2nd (old version) and 3rd (Pro 2005 version) entries!

The expansion is probably due to the graphic icons, etc. included in the wallet file. Fortunately, the overall size of the wallet file is still relatively small, even for a significant number of entries. (My wallet has about 100 cards.) After conversion, I went through each of the card entries to ensure that all the relevant information was still there. Everything was fine, so I now feel comfortable deleting the old wallet file.

Figure 3: My old wallet after conversion to Pro 2005 format.

Getting Set Up
If you�ve never used CodeWallet before, setting up a new wallet is simple and easy. You�ll need to create new Wallet file first, then you can use the provided sample and templates to create your own, personal information organization structure.

Figure 4: Tree folder display of the Sample Wallet provided with Pro 2005.

There is plenty of flexibility in CodeWallet Pro 2005 to create as simple or complicated a tree hierarchy as makes sense for you. If you find later that you need to re-organize, there�s no problem, since card entries (or whole folders!) can be easily moved from one folder to another using tap and drag techniques.

Figure 5: Expanded view of the Sample Wallet.

For new users, there is also an option to import card information from a tab-delimited text file.

Figure 6: Importing cards from a tab delimited file.

The suggested format is shown in the User Guide and can be easily created from most spreadsheet applications. As you proceed through the import, Pro 2005 gives you the option to accept or ignore each entry/card in the file.

Figure 7: Traversing entries in the import file, accepting each one.

Unfortunately, there isn�t an option to import files from other electronic wallet products. This is probably a good thing, since it would imply that Developer One had figured out how to �break� the encryption of the other applications! :dilemma:

CodeWallet Pro 2005 also provides an ability to export the contents of your wallet (or a folder, or a single card!) to a text file, including passwords and attachments, if desired.

Figure 8: Exporting items from your wallet.

Developer One suggests you do this when the wallet is set up (and after significant changes), then print off the file and store the paper in a VERY SAFE place. This provides a hardcopy backup, in case something happens to your file. It sounds like a good idea, butI also store a copy of my wallet on a CF memory card and back it up frequently.

Rummaging Around in Your Wallet
As with earlier versions, CodeWallet Pro 2005 remembers the last accessed wallet and automatically attempts to open this one when the application is restarted. (For first time users, CodeWallet Pro 2005 will attempt to open the Sample wallet provided, whose password is 123).

Figure 9: Signing in to a new wallet.

Passwords can be numeric or alphanumeric. An advantage of a numeric password is that you�ll be able to use the touchpad provided on the login screen, as opposed to having to select an input panel for alphanumerics.

Navigation through the wallet is accomplished through a directory tree structure. Using the now familiar � and + boxes to the left of each entry, you can expand or collapse the entry structure as required to find the appropriate entry. If you want to see the entire expanded tree structure at once, there is a convenient �expand all� icon at the top right of the display, in the title bar.

Figure 10: Top Level, Unexpanded view of my wallet.

Figure 11: Fully expanded view of my wallet.

There is also a search capability, available from the magnifying glass icon at the left of the title bar or from the Find menu at the bottom of the screen.

Figure 12: Searching through the wallet.

The search can use any portion of a word, as found in the description of the card (e.g. �mast� would find all occurrences of �Mastercards�). The results are displayed in a new folder called Search Results, which will disappear when you close CodeWallet.

Figure 13: Results from the search are created as links in a temporary Search Results folder.

You can also put your frequently accessed cards in a folder called My Favorites. These are links to the original cards in their folders, rather than copies of the complete cards. Thus, you won�t significantly expand the size of your wallet by having redundant copies of cards, and updates to a card are reflected in all links.

As with earlier versions of CodeWallet, images and icons can be added to the background of the card. In this version, Developer One has extended this to include the ability to add one of an extensive library of supplied icons to entries within the tree structure as well.

Figure 14: Just a few of the icons provided with Pro 2005.

This makes review and location of cards within the tree structure much quicker, as you can use the graphical prompts and familiar logos to find what you need.

Creating Your Own Cards
Creating new cards is accomplished by selecting �New Card� from the Menu menu. You are then prompted to select a card type to be used as a template. Developer One has provided over 40 different templates to choose from.

Figure 15: Partial listing of the over 40 card types available.

Figure 16: A new card of type Bank Account.

One of new features of Pro 2005, is the ability to add up to 10 file attachments to a card. The attachments can basically be anything � from a document to a spreadsheet or a sound file.

Figure 17: Attaching files to a card (up to 10 are allowed).

Each card can also be customized (available from the Menu/Customize menu item when in Card view) with its own:
  • icon;
  • text size;
  • background or data colour;
  • field names;
  • show/hide passwords and PINs;
  • background image;
  • sound to be played when the card is viewed.

Figure 18: Card Display Options.

Figure 19: Selecting a background for a card.

Figure 20: Adding a sound when a card is viewed.

When I first heard about the sound files (.wav�s) I thought �Why would I want a song or sound played when I opened a card?� After thinking about it, however, this could be useful in situations when an audio-prompt of a password, PIN or other information is preferable (e.g. pronunciation of contact�s name, if it�s in a foreign language or they have a particular way they prefer).

Previous versions of CodeWallet had some ability to create custom forms, but Pro 2005 takes this a considerable number of steps beyond. You can either start from one of the supplied card templates � adding or modifying the fields provided. Or, you can start from scratch and design a whole new card format. Once you�re done, if you save the card in the My Forms folder, it will become available as a selection template when the next New Card is created.

Figure 21: Designing a new card in Pro 2005.

The Custom Form Design provides a number of pre-defined field types, such as:
  • text � freeform, fist letter capitalized, or all letters capitalized;
  • Web Link / URL;
  • Email;
  • Telephone;
  • Password;
  • Date, Time or Date&Time;
  • Yes/No;
  • Checkbox;
  • Selection (drop-down) List.
Each of these types have either predefined formatting for display, and/or linkages built in to connect to the appropriate service.

There are also options for adding, deleting, and moving the fields up and down on the card.

Other Security Features
Pro 2005 includes a number of other security features to ensure that unwanted eyes do not get a peek at the contents of your wallet when you�re not around. CodeWallet will automatically shut down after a specified period of inactivity while a wallet is open. The default is 5 minutes, but this can be adjusted on the Menu/Options/Security menu.

Figure 22: Setting the Auto Close feature for each wallet.

Also, if you turn off your Pocket PC while CodeWallet Pro 2005 is running, the wallet will be automatically closed when the unit is powered back on.

New in Pro 2005 is the addition of an optional password �hint� which is available when you create or change a password to a wallet.

Figure 23: Changing a wallet�s password and providing a hint.

If a password hint is provided, it will be displayed after 5 unsuccessful attempts to provide the password to your wallet.

Support
An online Help file is provided with Pro 2005 (Menu/Options/Help menu). It goes through most of the main functions of the application. But of course, half the fun is trying it without looking at the manual, right? A hardcopy version of the User Manual is also available from the Developer One site.

In my time with various incarnations of CodeWallet, I�ve never encountered any real difficulties. The application is well written and very stable. Whenever I have had problems, such as lost upgrades, etc. I�ve always found Developer One to be very responsive and helpful. (And this was before I became a reviewer for Pocket PC Thoughts!:beer

Conclusions
Of course, I haven�t been able to cover all the new features of CodeWallet Pro 2005. To see everything in the new version, I�d suggest visiting the Developer One web site, and maybe downloading the User Manual. Developer One has done an good job of upgrading this application to compete very well with the other electronic wallets available. It is a very worthy successor.

Don is an Associate Director of Systems Development and Project Management with Fujitsu Consulting. Being one of the 'early adopters' of the organization, he hopes to infect his young sons with the love of playing with new technologies -- much to the chagrin of his lovely and very patient wife ("Boys and their toys...!" :roll: ).

Old 04-05-2005, 03:05 AM
ChunkyMonkey
Ponderer

I still have not seen a compelling reason to upgrade from the previous version. It looks like they made it prettier and that is about it.

Am I missing something??? :?:

Old 04-05-2005, 03:35 AM
jimski
Philosopher

"The 2005 version retains the overall concept and structure, but adds features which make it more visually appealing and customizable."

Not ready to plunk down $59.90 for something that is more visually appealing (and consumes more memory). And going without the desktop companion it not an option. I will be holding out until my current version becomes unstable with some future OS.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:26 AM
tal
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey
It looks like they made it prettier and that is about it.
Same here ... but what strikes me is the consequence of the menus: there are only two items in every screenshot. That would match perfectly the rumored two softkeys in WM2005. And it would be an explanation for

Quote:
Menus at the bottom need to be re-structured. The �Menu� menu needs to be split up
Maybe a problem we'll see more often with WM2005-optimized software?
... just speculating

Thorsten

Old 04-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Doug Raeburn
Review Coordinator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal
Quote:
It looks like they made it prettier and that is about it.
Same here ... but what strikes me is the consequence of the menus: there are only two items in every screenshot. That would match perfectly the rumored two softkeys in WM2005. And it would be an explanation for

Quote:
Menus at the bottom need to be re-structured. The �Menu� menu needs to be split up
Maybe a problem we'll see more often with WM2005-optimized software?
... just speculating

Thorsten
Another possible explanation is that since Developer One is majorly involved in Smartphone software and there is a version of CodeWallet for Smartphones, this may be an effort to bring a somewhat common interface between the same software title on the 2 different platforms.

And as you say, it does serve as a bit of a preview of WM2005, so we may as well get used to it... it's MS's direction with the interfeace.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Doug Raeburn

Quote:
I still have not seen a compelling reason to upgrade from the previous version. It looks like they made it prettier and that is about it.

Am I missing something??? :?:
The main additions (besides being 'prettier') is the more flexible levels of organization provided by nested folders and MUCH easier form creation and customization. The complexity of doing the latter with the earlier versions was my biggest critique of CodeWallet when I did a electronic wallet shootout last year.

Also, My Favorites and My Searches makes commonly accessed folders and items much easier to find.

Are those features compelling? Well, I guess that's up to the individual.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Doug Raeburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimski
Not ready to plunk down $59.90 for something that is more visually appealing (and consumes more memory). And going without the desktop companion it not an option. I will be holding out until my current version becomes unstable with some future OS.
Whether or not you find the new features compelling is one question. However, as a current owner, you should qualify for the upgrade package which includes both the Pocket PC and the desktop version for $34.90. I was glad to see this because initially, many owners of earlier versions weren't eligible for any upgrade discount.

Right now, even a full price purchase of both components is $44.90.

Not the cheapest product out there, but D1 has ramped up its staffing and is planning on lots of ongoing improvements to CodeWallet, much like they've done with Agenda Fusion.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:47 PM
diesel
Pupil

I've been using codewallet for about 4 years now (i've tried ewallet and flexwallet), first with my old axim x5, then ipaq 2210, then ipaq 4150, and now axim x50v and my BIGGEST gripe about codwallet in the past was the stupid way you had to go about customizing forms. You literally had to go into a text editor, create the custom form according to the protocol that codwallet set, and then had to make sure that file existed in both the pocketpc and desktop, manually.

With this new version, creating custom forms is extremely easy, and the custom forms copies over into the desktop. I couldn't be more pleased with this since most everything i store involves a custom form of one kind or another, and in my opinion, this more streamlined process of creating custom forms is well worth the upgrade.

In addition, i had decided to give ewallet a try again with my new x50v (even purchased it without trying it- since it was the only "VGA" enabled wallet program at the time), this was a few months ago, and i hated the fact that i couldn't change the font size to something really small in order to view more in my vga pocket pc. Not to mention the font sizes in the cards themselves, well they just wasted space and looked crappy.

The new codwallet, on the smallest font setting is perfect though i wish i could set a custom font size and not be limited to small, medium, large kind of a choice. Also, i prefer the way cards and the data is displayed in codwallet then the (in my opinion) stupid way of displaying cards in ewallet, in the "card" kind of a layout. That's not how i like my data displayed.

All in all i'm very happy with codewallet, and i was able to take advantage of a special deal in which i got both the pocket pc version and desktop version bundle for a price of $24.99 during one of their promotions on their site for upgrade customers.