Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 03-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Clinton Fitch Reviews SBSH PocketBreeze 4.2

http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews...4-2/default.asp

"For most Pocket PC users, the ability to at-a-glace look at the Today screen and see upcoming appointments, tasks is one of the draws of the format. By simply turning the device on, users can check these things along with the number of email messages waiting for them to read. It is a quick but powerful feature of the platform. The challenge arises however when a users needs exceed the ability of the built-in applications of most Pocket PCs. Further, in order to display the Inbox, Calendar and Tasks on the Today screen, three separate Today plug-ins must be activated in the settings menu. This requirement results in a somewhat cluttered Today screen with no integration between the three. Seeing this need, SBSH Mobile Software developed PocketBreeze, an all-in-one Today plug-in that allows for calendar, inbox, tasks and special events to all be listed in one place."

One need not be Einstein to work out that SBSH PocketBreeze is a great PIM plugin for the Pocket PC. However, if you're new to the game and need some reassurance, Clinton Fitch has just written a review on PocketBreeze 4.2, so feel free to check it out. With PocketBreeze 4.3 just around the corner, there's even more reason to start giving the program a decent look-over.

Old 03-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Not a bad overview, but can't really do justice to the program and the developer in the limited amount of space alloted. Pocket Breeze is actually at 4.3 Public Beta 3 at this point. Don't be put off by the Beta. SBSH Betas are as stable as most released software. The unusual concept used by SBSH is to release updates in Beta, and let the users comment, and suggest in the forums, and by golly SBSH listens. I've seen tons of user suggested additions/changes (not bug fixes) implemented within days.

Where you wan tto go at SBSH is the forums. That's where you find out what's happenning, and it happens fast there. Hard to keep up with the updates. They are updates too, not bug fixes.

Pocket Breeze is the second thing that goes on my PPC(s) when I rebuild. The first is Pocket Controller to make my life easier when entering all the reg codes.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:27 PM
dochall
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven
Pocket Breeze is the second thing that goes on my PPC(s) when I rebuild. The first is Pocket Controller to make my life easier when entering all the reg codes.
NOw that's a whole new topic and a bugbear of mine -developers who do not allow you to paste in reg codes.:roll:

Back to the original topic.

Pocket Breesze is great. I registered a few days ago and am still find out the stuff it can do. Playing about this morning I discovered I can mark time in a day's to,eline and then create an appointment for that time. That makes such a difference to my use of my ppc. I would have bought it just for that and I didn't even know it did it.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:18 PM
nickpope
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochall
NOw that's a whole new topic and a bugbear of mine -developers who do not allow you to paste in reg codes.:roll:
ctrl-v still works on Pocket PC's - I haven't found an app yet that doesn't allow pasting in reg codes.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Sully
Pupil

Excellent review. Was glad to see that customer support was covered also.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:19 PM
dma1965
Thinker

Pocket Breeze is without doubt the most useful today plugin I have ever used. In fact, I only use Journal Bar and Pocket Breeze (I use the PocketPlus today plugin, but as a tab in the new Pocket Breeze beta, which totally rocks!!!). All other plugins are disabled, because Pocket Breeze does everything the builtin ones do, and then some. What is truly amazing is how the programmer(s) come out with updates so frequently, and like was said earlier, they are truly useful updates, not bug fixes (there are bug fixes too, but the bugs are so minor, I do not usually notice them until it is pointed out in a forum). I also have the Contact Breeze plugin installed in Pocket Breeze, and if I am driving and need to lookup a number, it is lightning fast, and can be done with one hand (it uses predictive input). This is what I would call a good developer and polished software. It gets a 10 out of 10 in my book.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:26 PM
dma1965
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpope
Quote:
ctrl-v still works on Pocket PC's - I haven't found an app yet that doesn't allow pasting in reg codes.
Dynamo will not allow you to paste in a reg code.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
FWIW, I know of some developers who implement that feature merely to annoy pirates.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:32 PM
nosmohtac
Sage

I have been trying out the public beta 4.3, and I can not say enough good things about this software. I agree that a review such as Clinton Fitch did, although well done, cannot do this software justice. It is a must have piece of software for any PPC'er. Even if you only use your PPC for the basic PIM functions, try this software. In a very short time, you will wonder how you got along without it. Great job SBSH!

Old 03-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmohtac
I have been trying out the public beta 4.3, and I can not say enough good things about this software.
The support for "other" today screen plugins as a tab in PB is definitely the icing on the cake, IMO.