Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Navigate Yourself with Navigon MobileNavigator|5

http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/..._navigation/pda

"We've all had the experience: you've lost your way and the route you have chosen seems to bring you further and further from your intended destination. The time pressure is causing droplets of sweat to form on your forehead: the new restaurant will only hold your reservation for another 15 minutes. Shortly before closing time, you still haven't managed to find the new shoe store and the bargains you hoped to find aren't going to materialise. You begin to struggle with the patented folding street map on the passenger seat. Up until now, you never found a way to make peace with the technology. A navigation system was too complex for you to operate � even the programming of the video recorder was something you left to your nephew. Now NAVIGON has a solution for you.: with the MobileNavigator|5, the fast, secure locating of destinations and exceptional ease-of-use are guaranteed."

Just in the past few hours, Navigon announced the release of MobileNavigator|5 at CTIA 2005 in New Orleans. It's available on a wide variety of mobile platforms, but most importantly, Pocket PCs! This mobile navigation system is available with maps for North America, twenty-seven European countries and six Gulf states. Some really neat features include voice command capabilities, intelligent traffic jam avoidance functions, signpost information and much more. The press release can be found here.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:55 PM
adamz
Thinker

It was on their website last week. And it was news on GPS Passion.

Anyway, I wonder if it still takes 30-60 seconds to load.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz
It was on their website last week. And it was news on GPS Passion.
I was referring to the formal press release which went live yesterday.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:28 PM
dignow96
Ponderer

I live in Kuwait and since I've moved here more than a year ago I have been unsuccessfully searching for accurate street level GPS mapping for my PPC. As soon as I read this post I went to their site which says basically the same thing. What I haven't been able to find out is what the maps look like and for which of the Gulf States they cover. Does anyone that is currently using this know anything about the quality of mapping in Kuwait and the UAE? Thanks.

Edit: just caught the available in May 05 part... I guess I'll give NAVIGON a call and find out from them first hand... will post what I find out if anyone is interested

Old 03-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I was actually wondering what they meant by "available with maps for North America...and six Gulf states". The Gulf States I think of are in North America. Guess it's my USism showing. ops:

Old 03-16-2005, 04:13 PM
dignow96
Ponderer

Yeah, used to mean the same thing to me when we lived in Florida... living outside the "western" world really helps redefine things for you.

Old 03-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Deralict
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to Deralict

Has anyone else noticed that this is the same software (with minor interface changes) as OnCouse Navigator 4? (just with a different name)

Old 03-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralict
Has anyone else noticed that this is the same software (with minor interface changes) as OnCouse Navigator 4? (just with a different name)
.....and a different price. Over 300 Euros for the software and *basic* maps. Yikes! And, unknown basic maps at that?

Old 03-17-2005, 08:41 AM
beq
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignow96
I live in Kuwait and since I've moved here more than a year ago I have been unsuccessfully searching for accurate street level GPS mapping for my PPC.
I've been wondering the same thing for the overall Asian region. I haven't done a detailed search, but it seems to me none of the GPS mapping software apps cover Asia at all -- like China or the countries in southeast Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc) -- and yet the neighboring Australia gets coverage?

If anyone is aware of any apps with coverage of that region, I'd very much appreciate it.

Old 03-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Doug Raeburn
Review Coordinator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralict
Yes, this is because OnCourse Navigator is a licensed version of Navigon that introduced the latter product into North America. Prior to OCN's release earlier this year, no version of Navigon was available here.