Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-15-2005, 04:00 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default Watch Windows Media Center Edition Shows on Your Pocket PC

"Copy television shows recorded on your Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition PC to your Windows Mobile based Pocket PC. MyTV ToGo converts and copies shows right from Media Center, or from any Windows XP machine connected to your Media Center PC through a home network. It's as easy as 1 - select the television shows you want to covert to your Pocket PC; 2 - Connect your Pocket PC to your Media Center Edition PC; 3 - Select Copy TV Shows!"

Basically, this software converts files recorded in the DVR-MS format to WMV files that will play on your Pocket PC. According to the developer, this program and a 512mb storage card will get you up to 16 half-hour shows using "Good" quality, 12 half-hour shows using "Better" quality, and 8 half-hour shows using "Best" quality. Heck, even "Best" will net you 4 episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer! You can buy your very own copy for $19.95, and there's a free trial available. [Affiliate]

Old 03-15-2005, 04:27 AM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K
Default Re: Watch Windows Media Center Edition Shows on Your Pocket PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Logsdon
Basically, this software converts files recorded in the DVR-MS format to WMA files that will play on your Pocket PC.
[SmartyPants]So it converts the audio only?[/SmartyPants]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Logsdon
You can buy your very own copy for $19.95, and there's a free trial available. [Affiliate]
You can also convert your DVR-MS files to DivX for free, using the DivX codec and <a href=http://www.thegreenbutton.com/downloads.asp>DVR Edit</a>.

Additionally, people with WMP10 on their Pocket PCs get their content converted automatially.

Old 03-15-2005, 04:36 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by R K
[SmartyPants]So it converts the audio only?[/SmartyPants]
Ok, SmartyPants, I fixed it. Stupid typos... :evil: :wink:

Old 03-15-2005, 06:43 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I'll have to try this. I'm fortunate enought to have a Media Center PC, and an MP10 PPC. I have been taking advantage of the fact my rx3715 and Pocket MP10 will allow MP10 on the desktop to do the conversion. This would be a great asset for those, the majority, that do not have MP10 on the PPC.

Old 03-15-2005, 02:40 PM
adamz
Thinker

Oh I see.. I was going to say Media Center already does this and more, but that's only if you have Media Player 10 on the Pocket PC.

So this is for networks or non WMP10 Pocket PCs I guess.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz
Oh I see.. I was going to say Media Center already does this and more, but that's only if you have Media Player 10 on the Pocket PC.
It also only works if you have your Pocket PC synchronizing with that particular computer. I'm interested in this partially for having my MS-DVR files converted automatically to WMV so I can share them with friends. I'm using dCut now but it's pretty rough around the edges...

Old 03-15-2005, 06:06 PM
adamz
Thinker

True. Another option that I just installed this morning is Orb. Now my entire media library including recorded TV shows and Live TV is accessible as streaming Windows Media content through the internet.

Watching live TV on my phone this morning was pretty amazing! Of course, you do need an internet connection, but it works surprisingly well over GPRS.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:30 PM
JayM
Ponderer

I have a TV capture card (ATI-in-Wonder) with TiVo (Gemstar Guide) like functions built into the software. For shows I watch only once this is great because it's a one step process...Just click "record" on the listings.

I can make my own recording/encoding filters for different levels of quality via it's configuration wizard. It's real simple stuff. You can save files to mpeg, avi or wmv formats.

No converting, No DRM issues, I just record, save to a storage card and go. I'm working a how-to with snapshots I can submit for news if you want.

J

Old 03-15-2005, 09:57 PM
Don't Panic!
Oracle

Quote:
(R K wrote}:
You can also convert your DVR-MS files to DivX for free, using the DivX codec and <a href=http://www.thegreenbutton.com/downloads.asp>DVR Edit</a>. .
The page cannot be found

Old 03-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic!
The page cannot be found
TheGreenButton.com is down I think...check later, I'm sure they'll be back.