Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default WinMobile Download Accelerator

http://www.adisasta.com/WinMobileDA.html

"WinMobile Download Accelerator(WMDA) is an optimized download manager for Windows Mobile 2003/2003 SE (Pocket PC). Multithreaded download accelerate the speed with which you can receive files from HTTP/FTP servers. WMDA is fully integrated into the Pocket Internet Explorer. WMDA will let you take advantage of a faster and more reliable download, optimize your download performance, and help you to recover interrupted downloads. WMDA brings you to the next level of Internet downloading."

This is one of those apps that make you go "Hmm..." - I can't see myself using it, but if you use your Pocket PC to routinely download files, you may find it quite useful indeed! The developer also has some other interesting applications.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:13 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I dunno. I bought Vito Downloader and never used it. This appears to be the same concept.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:23 PM
lorettaboy
Pupil

Just wondering if there are any users here that actually download enough times/day to make this software usefull? My own experience is that the files I would download are so small, that increasing the download speed would save me maybe a couple of seconds at most. Just my perspective.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Tierran
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Tierran Send a message via AIM to Tierran

I dunno, I don't download that often but when I do I find them to be pretty speedy overall.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Once I tried to download an 85 MB file to an SD card where there was plenty of space, and the download failed because I think it tries to buffer to RAM... :-(

Old 03-12-2005, 05:01 AM
webdaemon
Ponderer

Anyone ever heard of this author? There are two mis-spellings in the screen shot.

Old 03-12-2005, 05:45 AM
saru83
Thinker

Actually, i have an unlimited data plan so i try to make use of it as much as i can.

I know this software might not me interesting to a lot of u but i like it as it will help me a lot... mainly while travelling

Old 03-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Magallanes
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Once I tried to download an 85 MB file to an SD card where there was plenty of space, and the download failed because I think it tries to buffer to RAM... :-(
I think that PIE will cache the download and usually the cache is made in the main memory.

Anyways, i don't have faith in any "download accelerator", for pc, mac or any computer or system.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:02 PM
saru83
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magallanes

Anyways, i don't have faith in any "download accelerator", for pc, mac or any computer or system.
R u kidding man?
I have a cable connection with average download speed of 350kb/s but some sites have poor qulity servers with low bandwith so whatever your speed is u dont get more than 50kb/s but with download accelarators 'like DAP' it really works great coz u get 4 times the speed, like almost 200kb/s this is due to multiple download for the same file at the same time. :wink:

Old 03-13-2005, 11:08 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magallanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
I think that PIE will cache the download and usually the cache is made in the main memory.
It is my experience that this happens on the desktop as well. If the drive that has the Temporary Internet Files folder has free space less than that required by a download you may try to make, the download will complete unsuccessfully even if you are saving the file to a different drive.