Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-10-2005, 05:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Blog On The Road with PocketBlogger 1.0

http://www.pocketblogger.net/

Many of you may be familiar with PocketBlog, although development on it has been dead for quite some time. Well, don't despair. A new and free alternative has just arrived - PocketBlogger 1.0. This initial release will allow you to login to Blogger.com, read your blog, as well as post on it. This may be handy for many of you who maintain a blog, and would like the option to post on the go. For those of you who end up giving this a test run, let us know how it stacks up.

Update: PocketBlogger has just been updated to Version 1.1. Head over to the PocketBlogger website for more information.

Old 03-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Kevin Daly
Theorist

This might be an opportune moment for me to mention my own modest offeringwhile: http://kevdaly.aspxconnection.com/PocketBlogWriter.aspx - it won't display your existing entries, it will enable you to post to Blogger, .Text, Community Server, dasBlog, BlogX or BlogSphere (all things being equal, the phase of the Moon being propitious and the wind blowing the right way)

8)

Old 03-10-2005, 10:23 AM
hamishmacdonald
Thinker

YAY! That's funny: the last two days I've been trying again to find a way to do this (AvantBlog, PocketBlog), and not finding a workable solution.

This program is pretty basic. I couldn't see a way to read my previous entries, and it kinda defeats the purpose to have to be online to write a post, but it's a nice start.

I'll check out the other app mentioned here, too.

So the features I'd like:
- Offline entry creation for later posting
- Ability to edit existing posts (because I tend to post then do about five sets of quick copy-edits after re-reading it.)

Old 03-10-2005, 10:45 AM
wocket
Thinker

Has anyone tried SharpMT

EDIT: OOPS! I'd messed up the URL a bit. I had to rush as I was called away in work..

Old 03-10-2005, 12:45 PM
gregmills
Intellectual

You can update Blogger by email. I use Inbox.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Hugh Nano
Intellectual

I blogged my initial response to PocketBlogger using PocketBlogger on my blog here. Summary of my response:

Good to see there's another solution available out there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Daly
This might be an opportune moment for me to mention my own modest offeringwhile: http://kevdaly.aspxconnection.com/PocketBlogWriter.aspx - it won't display your existing entries, it will enable you to post to Blogger, .Text, Community Server, dasBlog, BlogX or BlogSphere (all things being equal, the phase of the Moon being propitious and the wind blowing the right way)
Sounds like Kevin's is in a slightly more mature stage of development - though it still doesn't support post-editing, which, it seems to me, would really be the only feature that would set one of these solutions above post-by-e-mail. Still, I'll have to check it out, of course. W?BIC! Thanks, Kevin.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:42 PM
hamishmacdonald
Thinker

Yeah, Diarist (the other app) is quite nice. It has an icon, for starters! But PocketBlogger feels a bit more -- I dunno, Blogger-like. Also, Diarist posts the "title" as text offset by an H2 tag, so it's not really a blog entry title. But it does allow offline composition, which is a real plus.

So does the AvantGo channel AvantBlog:
http://www.dentedreality.com.au/avantblog/

...but that means using all that extra AvantGo stuff. Though the channel is accessible from the web.

If PocketBlogger is developed into a more robust application, it's something I'd definitely pay for. The Blogger website doesn't work from PIE, and mailing entries stopped working for me a little while ago, too.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Hugh Nano
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamishmacdonald
Diarist posts the "title" as text offset by an H2 tag, so it's not really a blog entry title.
Really?! That's kind of annoying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamishmacdonald
If PocketBlogger is developed into a more robust application, it's something I'd definitely pay for.
I'd prefer it stayed free, personally. :wink: Either way, it look as though, given the problems with post-editing built into the BloggerAPI that Kevin notes, the post-editing feature I was wishing for won't be seeing the light of day in either Diarist or PocketBlogger anytime soon.

Old 03-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

As I'm trying to migrate over to a totally PocketPC platform (believe it!) and want to be able to not rely on a desktop or notebook, blogging, email, and surfing are my most important elements.

So far, WebIS Mail is my full mail client solution, NetFront 3 is still in testing, and I've been back and forth between PocketBlog, BlogsInHand, Pocket SharpMT 2, and Diarist aka PocketBlogWriter.

Pocket SharpMT 2 seems to be the most powerful, allowing to upload images, has got the formatting issues correctly, and has a more robust GUI. I'm currently testing it out on my site, BeyondTheTech.com. The only downside is not being able to anything with recent posts. BlogsInHand would have been a good contender if it wasn't for the formatting problems (H2 tagging).

Old 03-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

:? Completely useless to me. Let me know when someone actually comes out with a livejournal client. And no I'm not talking the avantgo workaround thing. I want an actual client dang it.