Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Gaze Knowingly at the Stars Above You!

http://kctofel.blogspot.com/2005/03...n-your-ppc.html

"If you're into astronomy and have a Windows Mobile or Pocket PC device, check out Orionic. This freeware is like a personalized star chart to help you find what you're looking for in the heavens. This is a great use of mobile technology as is provides all of the information you need to enjoy a night out stargazing."

A bit of freeware to brighten up your Monday (or Monday Evening)! This certainly beats the low-tech stargazing we've all tried. Until this software, I'd never even considered how perfect a Pocket PC would be for this activity, given that it is small and has its own back lit display with adjustable brightness. Any night sky watchers out there want to give this a try and report back to us?

Old 03-07-2005, 03:52 PM
bmcbride_81
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to bmcbride_81

This looks nice, however I really like "THE SKY" or "Pocket Stars" ---Both incredible Astronomy/Star Chart software for the pocket pc with alot of features.

--Brian

Old 03-07-2005, 04:18 PM
PDANEWBIE
Thinker

Yeah I like the ones with the GPS functionality built in. *sniff sniff* before my GPS broke that is.

I still think GPS support is the best way to setup this type of program.

Old 03-07-2005, 04:24 PM
archinemnon
Pupil

I think this is a really cool little program. I couldn't find anything on THE SKY but I know Pocket Sky is 20 bucks. I don't have GPS on my SX66 but I can easily get my Latitude and Longitude from any map service and plug in my coordinates. This works great for me, and you sure can't beat the price!

Old 03-07-2005, 05:42 PM
webfeets
Neophyte
Default The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcbride_81
This looks nice, however I really like "THE SKY" or "Pocket Stars" ---Both incredible Astronomy/Star Chart software for the pocket pc with alot of features.

--Brian
I've used "The Sky" for awhile and I agree with Brian. It's certainly the most feature packed version out there.

http://www.bisque.com/Products/TheSkyPE/TheSkyPE.asp

--Tom

Old 03-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Don't Panic!
Oracle

50 bucks though? You realy shouldn't compare shareware to freeware, especially at that price. :roll:

Old 03-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

Forgive me for being prejudiced, but am I the only one who steers away from any program that has a screenshot of it being run on an older PocketPC?

Everytime I see the old Windows CE/Palm PC/Pocket PC taskbar at the top of a program's screenshot, I assume the program is years old, incompatible, or there's a much more full-featured, recent version or competitor out there.

Sorry to get off-subject, but what do you think?

Old 03-07-2005, 07:12 PM
TheOrange
Ponderer

It seems like a good little app for the price. I found that Planetarium had more features, but its not freeware and its for Palm OS. I'm going to have to see how The Sky stacks up. ...It would be best if the boys at Space.com would just make a PC version of StarryNight.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:55 AM
jim s
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael143
Forgive me for being prejudiced, but am I the only one who steers away from any program that has a screenshot of it being run on an older PocketPC?

Everytime I see the old Windows CE/Palm PC/Pocket PC taskbar at the top of a program's screenshot, I assume the program is years old, incompatible, or there's a much more full-featured, recent version or competitor out there.

Sorry to get off-subject, but what do you think?
Gee - I think just the opposite - that the program will probably run on my not-exactly-brand-new-but-still-perfectly-good e740!

Old 03-08-2005, 01:24 AM
disconnected
Sage

I think anyone selling an expensive app should keep up to date with the latest PPCs, but for a free app, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the author to rush out and buy every PPC that comes along, just for testing purposes.