Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Customizations & Content

Old 02-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Watch Your TiVo Program On Your Pocket PC

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=225409

Earlier this year, TiVo started rolling out their TiVoToGo feature which allows you to watch recorded programs on your Windows based PC. One of the TiVo Community members has posted some additional steps to get that TV show on your Pocket PC.

For this to work, you need a Series 2 TiVo box, a network (wired or wireless) and the the 7.1 software update. You can read more about the specifics here. Next, you'll need Dr. Divx, which is $29.99. Finally, you need BetaPlayer 0.5 to actually watch it on your Pocket PC. .

Old 02-28-2005, 11:14 PM
jasondearyou
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to jasondearyou Send a message via MSN to jasondearyou

ok, could someone like put up a sensible write up on that, i don't want to read all that stuff from all kinds of posts.

get a move on ppc thoughts.

0X

Old 02-28-2005, 11:19 PM
fishfuzz
Pupil

Let me also note that DTivo's do not have this functionality.

And why use Dr. DIVX when PocketDIVXEncoder is free and works like a charm?

Old 03-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Anjuan Simmons
Thoughts Media Review Team
Default Home Grown Solution

Maybe i"m a Tivo Luddite, but I use the following process to watch recorded TV on my Pocket PC:

- Schedule TV program using Guide Plus which came with my ATI All-in-Wonder PCI tuner on my desktop in MPEG-2 format
- Once the program has been recorded on my desktop, I use PocketDivxEncoder to encode and reduce the file to AVI format
- Copy the AVI file from my desktop to my SD card using my card reader
- Insert the SD Card into my PDA and fire up Beta Player to watch at will

I believe this (admittedly homegrown) approach is superior to what Tivo provides and considerably cheaper. It may not be as elegant and seamless, but it definitely adheres to the Principle of Good Enough (POGE).

Old 03-01-2005, 12:10 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona
Default Re: Home Grown Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesop
Maybe i"m a Tivo Luddite, but I use the following process to watch recorded TV on my Pocket PC:

- Schedule TV program using Guide Plus which came with my ATI All-in-Wonder PCI tuner on my desktop in MPEG-2 format.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing... But my p.c. draws enough voltage the way it's setup.. I'm getting an 800W power supply for my workstation, so I REALLY don't want to leave it on if I don't have to.

The Tivo device is going to be on my list of devices to purchase. The more I use my ATI card, the more I watch tv that I actually enjoy. Cheap entertainment!

Old 03-01-2005, 12:14 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

BTW, wasn't there a Tivo box that allowed you to access it's content via the LAN?

Old 03-01-2005, 12:17 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesop
You are getting into a philosophical discussion about recording TV on a PC or having a toaster do it for you. Having done both, well, let's just say I have two TiVo's and zero PCs capable of recording a broadcast signal. :wink:

You are right though. If you have a PC recording programs, the steps may be easier and more straight-forward.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksfiona
BTW, wasn't there a Tivo box that allowed you to access it's content via the LAN?
All series 2 devices can transfer content to other Tivos on the LAN and have been able to do so for years. It is the new TivoToGo software that allows you to transfer and watch on PCs. Now, there may have been Tivo hacks that allowed it before, but that is another issue entirely.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:49 AM
Anjuan Simmons
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
You are right though. If you have a PC recording programs, the steps may be easier and more straight-forward.
Well said. To your point, the process I use works well if you already have a TV tuner in your PC. Vice versa, if you already have a Tivo box, then TivoToGo may be the way to go.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:10 AM
beq
Oracle

There are still advantages with the older 4xxx-series ReplayTV's (remember them?)

- LAN remote streaming playback from the get-go (though I realize TiVo had since added this capability too)

- Internet sharing (send/receive)

- Commercial Advance (a blessing for broadcast-network content without having to manually skip 30 secs at a time)

- DVArchive (gotta be seen to be believed -- like the video server function)