Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Windows Mobile To Have New Upgrade Mechanism?

http://blogs.msdn.com/marcpe/archiv.../14/372192.aspx

An MSDN blog post comment has the following potentially juicy bit of information:

Quote: ...Its an area the MED team has been working on for the next version of Windows Mobile - to separate the upgrade mechanism for bits that Microsoft owns from the bits that the OEM owns. This should mean that Microsoft can offer things like Media Player 10 updates directly from the Microsoft site.

I hope that works out - neither my current Pocket PC and Smartphone can run WMP10. Anyway, it's good to see that Microsoft is apparently listening to feedback. Now we have to just hurry up and wait for the next release of Windows Mobile.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:05 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

Great - so hopefully we will eventually not be forced to buy new machines if we want the latest OS version.

The current best machines, and the next generation machines should all have the capability to handle the next version or two of Pocket Windows, so I look forward to no longer being tied down by the vendors!

Old 02-25-2005, 04:22 PM
powder2000
Thinker

I like this because it will give the hardware manufacturers way more incentive to get creative and innovative on their designs rather than riding on WM success. It definitely draws a line between hardware and software, which is the way it should be. Of course this will only be successful if it is installed into ROM not RAM.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Albegor
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoward999
Great - so hopefully we will eventually not be forced to buy new machines if we want the latest OS version.
Really great news!
I think we'll still buy new machines, but then we'll have the additional chance to stay up to date with the latest OS features.
I'd love to get WMP10 on my Loox720! :roll:

Old 02-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Whoa, I wouldn't be that hopeful. The OS has to closely tie into the device itself (drivers, power management, etc.), so I don't know if that's possible. From how I see it, this is more along the lines of supporting individual software replacement/upgrade.

--janak

Old 02-25-2005, 05:19 PM
sponge
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
Whoa, I wouldn't be that hopeful. The OS has to closely tie into the device itself (drivers, power management, etc.), so I don't know if that's possible. From how I see it, this is more along the lines of supporting individual software replacement/upgrade.

--janak
Blasphemy. Of course it's possible, although you'd be making the OS more modular, which in turn usually incurs a speed sacrifice.

All you need to do is separate OS from drivers, and you're there.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge
Blasphemy. Of course it's possible, although you'd be making the OS more modular, which in turn usually incurs a speed sacrifice.
A HAL has not been historically implemented on any mobile device platforms I know of (with the possible exception of Linux, but even there, I haven't heard of the "Sharp distribution" being ported to other devices). I'd love to be wrong about this, admittedly.

(Anyway, I was referring to past Windows Mobile platforms in my comments above... didn't mean to be misleading, just was trying to be conservative about the situation. )

--janak

Old 02-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Oh god. And it begins. Why do I get this image of monthly Windows Updates for the Pocket PC. I'm not intentionally trying to be a doomsayer but that�s the vibe I�m getting.

All I know is that I hope that HP upgrade's my 4705 to PPC2005 or whatever they will call it.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge
A HAL has not been historically implemented on any mobile device platforms I know of (with the possible exception of Linux, but even there, I haven't heard of the "Sharp distribution" being ported to other devices). I'd love to be wrong about this, admittedly.
Actually, all CE devices have a HAL of sorts. OAL is what it is called. OEM Abstraction Layer. It isn't as portable as a HAL obviously but the abstraction layer is there to keep certain functions out of the domain of the OS.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:57 PM
allenalb
Ponderer

i'm thinking BSoDs since this will mean updates won't get tested on every possible hardware scenario.

personally (and i know i'm the only one) i like the way things are now. i paid for the 2002 to 2003 upgrade for my H3975 and was so unhappy with the way it ran, i reverted. i never had a problem with it on the 5555.

i've also upgraded my mpx200 to wm2003, and although it runs faster, other things are just annoying (no way to easily disable cleartype, which looks AWFUL on mpx200).

i'm just saying, i've always felt the reason PPCs work as well as they do, is because of the strict hardware requirements MS makes. if MS made a PC, i would buy it in a heartbeat, because i'm sure it would run better than the same OS on someone elses system (like the xbox does).

wow, this wasn't supposed to turn into a rant