Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Agenda Fusion 7 Released

http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/...6&productType=2

"Manage your time, contacts, tasks, notes and now projects easier than ever before with Agenda Fusion 7. Bringing you detailed calendar views, enhanced contact and task management, notes and alarm notes organization, and now an all-new Projects view to help you organize your busy life better than ever."

Here's some hot news! Version 7 of Agenda Fusion has been released. New features include project-style views, view tab customisation, performance enhancements, contact view improvements, easier dialling and much more. Click here for more information on the list of updates. Unless you are one of the many customers who recently purchased Version 6 and are eligible for the free upgrade to Version 7, pre-existing owners of Agenda Fusion 6 can upgrade to the latest version for $14.95. Owners of Agenda Fusion 4 and 5 will have to purchase the full version again to upgrade to Agenda Fusion 7. The Pocket PC Thoughts store is currently hosting a trial version of the newly-released application, so feel free to head over there to check it out. If you're interested in purchasing it for the first time, it's available for $29.95, but subscribers do get the usual 15% discount.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:31 PM
KTamas
Thinker

And? :P, PI 2005 aka PI6 aka PI Palladium beta is coming soon

Bottom line: Am i the only one who expected more from AF7?

Old 02-24-2005, 04:52 PM
zilla31
Sage

no i'm with you... i'm a longtime AF user/supporter and was really looking forward to 7. project view is pretty nice but i def expected a lot more from this "major" release.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Jacob
Pontificator

The project view is something I'd definitely like to see an equivalent in PI - although I think hierarchical tasks can do that a bit - but still would be nice to have something different.

I'm pretty sure this isn't enough to make me switch though.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:59 PM
petvas
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to petvas Send a message via MSN to petvas Send a message via Skype™ to petvas

I am pretty sure that the enhancements in version 7.xx do not stop here. The new Project View is great but of course there is always room for enhancements. I believe we should all be excited about the enhancements coming in the 7.xx releases. Remember, version 7.0 is just the initial release...

Performance has definitely improved, the new Project View is great and please have sth in mind: Better get it right than put a lot of features and never reach release...

Old 02-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Doug Raeburn
Review Coordinator Emeritus

Project view is huge for those who can use such functionality. That's really the centerpiece of AF 7, and it's certainly enough to drive a "major" release, IMO. It's a first step towards addressing a need for the "professional" crowd that has been left largely unfulfilled on the Pocket PC. And it really can be used to organize any project, business or otherwise (parties, weddings, home projects, school activities, etc.)

I'm already in the process of organizing my current and future projects using this view. I believe that, as it grows, it has the potential of being a killer application for organizing and managing large sets of related activities.

Project view also has additional project related functionality, such as project tasks, time entry and timers, that goes well beyond what a hierarchical task structure alone can provide. And lots more will be coming as feedback about the initial release is received and evaluated.

But if such a view isn't useful to you, I can understand that the incremental changes to the rest of the product are perhaps less than you expected. If there's anything specific that you'd like to pitch as an addition or enhancement, the D1 support forum is the place to express those ideas. If you haven't yet visited it, there's lots going on all the time, so check it out!

http://forums.developerone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Old 02-24-2005, 06:27 PM
acetuk
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to acetuk

I'm a PI user and was initially very interested in the project view idea offered by AF 7.

However for it to work for me I would need it to make the tasks listed relational - the next one becomes active only when the current one is completed.

Having glanced through the list of features (and I may well be wrong here) I don't think it does that... yet. Maybe it will in time.

Until then I wait for PI 2005 to appear and see what that offers me.

One thing's for sure this is one area that PPC users are behind our Palm colleagues - software like Life Balance on the Palm really makes a lot of the PPC efforts for project-like control look not very good. I still miss that program after moving to the PPC camp over four years ago.

Old 02-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Sooner Magic
Ponderer

Conceptually, I think the project functionality is a great idea with quite a bit of potential. I have always heavily relied on AF and will continue to do so in the future.

Maybe I missing something, but it looks like all it provides is the ability to group tasks, appointments, documents together within one project. From a PIM standpoint, I use categories for this purpose. And the vast majority of documents stay on my laptop rather than my PDA.

What am I missing here?

Old 02-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Doug Raeburn
Review Coordinator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Magic
Conceptually, I think the project functionality is a great idea with quite a bit of potential. I have always heavily relied on AF and will continue to do so in the future.

Maybe I missing something, but it looks like all it provides is the ability to group tasks, appointments, documents together within one project. From a PIM standpoint, I use categories for this purpose. And the vast majority of documents stay on my laptop rather than my PDA.

What am I missing here?
You certainly can organize things that way. Personally, I view categories as a higher level concept that would cross projects, so I like the idea of keeping categories and projects as separate concepts. Also, projects are hierarchical, so it's more convenient to structure a project along with sub-projects using the Project view than it would be with the non-hierarchical categories.

Finally, projects have specifically defined functionality and characteristics that are quite specific to a project viewpoint and don't have counterparts in other areas of a PIM. At this point, those include project tasks, time recording and timers, with more to come as this view is further fleshed out, enhanced and refined.

That's not to say that you can't continue to use categories to organize your projects if that works well for you, but I believe that you'd find that the Project view provides capabilities specifically tailored to project management that aren't available using the category approach. Bottom line is that it all depends on your preferences.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Ripper014
Oracle

I loaded it and tested the Project Add-on as it is what interests me most about this new upgrade. As a rule there has been little to distinquish this and Pocket Informant. Of the two PIM's I have always perferred this one just because the interface was more pleasing to my eye.

As far as the Projects Add-on it is still rather basic... but I like it. As mentioned above...

"However for it to work for me I would need it to make the tasks listed relational - the next one becomes active only when the current one is completed."

... this is not a feature I would want or need since I would like to be able to work on items out of order if required.

There is one issue that I find serious though... unless I missed something. When you complete any tasks and then sync them... they are removed from the Project... there is a item... but it does not link to anything. I assume that the Project addition is embedded in Agenda Fusion itself and not part of Pocket Outlook. What needs to be done in my opinion is to copy this data so it remains visible as a completed task, meeting, etc...

As it is... you can use it, but it has a ways to go before I can use it efficiently. It would also be nice to be able to check completed items off from the Project view.

But I will say I do like the interface much more than that of Pocket Informant.