Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Dave Potter
Thinker
Default Pocket PC Techs WriteSHIELD C2 Reviewed

Product Category: Screen Protector
Manufacturer: Pocket PC Techs
Where to Buy: Pocket PC Techs
Price: Deluxe package $36.99 USD - Standard Package $26.99 USD

Pros:
  • Virtually invisible;
  • Very durable - lasts for months;
  • Easy to install.
Cons:
  • Too much glare for my personal taste (I personally prefer the WriteSHIELD AG);
  • Sold in pairs - makes it seem a bit more expensive than competitors with similar quality products that are sold individually.
Summary:
The world can be a dangerous place for a Pocket PC these days with car keys, pocket change, pens and a wide variety of other nasty pointy things. Like children, it doesn't seem to matter how much you shelter them - PPCs always wind up with nicks and scratches - or worse . Fortunately, there are some relatively inexpensive and effective ways to protect these little marvels of technology. A good case doesn't hurt - and, of course a good quality screen protector.

Let's take a closer look at one of the leading screen protection solutions on the market.

Who The Heck Are 'Pocket PC Techs'?
If you're asking this question, than you obviously live under a rock - at least in Pocket PC Terms :lol:. Pocket PC Techs is one of the world's leading Pocket PC upgrade and accessory vendors. Need more internal memory or better battery life? - they can help. Need your baby repaired? - they can help. Need a top notch screen protector or portable sync/charge cable? - well, you get the idea. Pocket PC Techs also carry a wide variety of other PPC accessories including audio adaptors, GPS/Car mounts and Styli.

Installation
My WriteSHIELD C2 standard package included:
  • Two WriteSHIELD Screen Protectors;
  • A handy little dust brush;
  • Two KlearScreen screen cleaning wipes;
  • A MicroFiber cloth (think eyeglass cleaning cloth);
  • Three lifting tools (sort of like plastic tooth picks);
  • Detailed installation instructions.

Figure 1: WriteSHIELD C2 - Standard Package Contents.

Figure 2: WriteSHIELD C2 - Deluxe Package Contents. A couple of extras for $10 more.

The C2 itself comes sandwiched between a thin sheet of semi-rigid plastic and another even thinner protective top sheet - the latter of which is intended to protect the C2 from scuffs during shipping and must be removed before installation.

The installation instructions are clear and concise and written in plain English. Here's the Readers Digest version - clean the screen with the brush (for the edges), then with a KlearScreen wipe. Thoroughly dry the screen with the MicroFiber cloth and then (carefully) apply the C2. On the reverse side of the instructions are helpful tips and instructions for removing dust particles trapped under the C2 and/or completely cleaning the C2's clingy side - depending on how badly you messed things up.

Was it actually as easy as the instructions made it look? Yes!

But... How Does It Look?
Well, put simply, pretty much the same as the original unprotected screen. The C2 is not an anti-glare screen protector - but rather mimics the properties of the original unprotected screen making the C2 almost invisible. Translation - it has about the same amount of glare as my iPAQ's unprotected screen with all the same clarity.

Personally, I don't like the glare. I much prefer an anti-glare screen protector like the WriteSHIELD AG. The down side of anti-glare screen protectors is that their clarity isn't quite as good. It's a trade-off of sorts.

Figure 3: Compare the glare - the WriteSHIELD C2.

Figure 4: Compare the glare - the WriteSHIELD AG.

Conclusions
A top-notch, quality PPC accessory from a supplier with a bullet-proof reputation, the WriteSHIELD line of screen protectors leads the pack for quality, durability and ease-of-installation. It all comes down to preference. Want to preserve your PPC screen's original look and feel? The WriteSHIELD C2 fits the bill. Prefer an anti-glare screen protector? The WriteSHIELD AG is the way to go. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:13 PM
drop
Thinker

I use WriteShield for both X5 and X50v. This thing lasts forever. Great product. Worth every penny.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Robb Bates
Thinker

Firstly, there are two kinds of Pocket PC owners:

Those that have screen protectors on their PPC,

and those that have not yet gouged their screens.

Regarding the C2 vs. the AG. I would recommend the AG for everyone. The C2, although crystal clear, does not hide fingerprints like the AG. That, in addition to the glare you DO get from the C2, is enough, IMHO, to counteract the clarity you gain from them.

Also, there are some comments that the AG distorts VGA screens. I have an Axim X50v with an AG on it and I don't really notice any significant reduction in clarity. Actually, the anti-glare and fingerprint hiding ability actually improves clarity over no screen, in my opinion.

They may be a bit expensive, but I'd shell out the bucks in a heart beat!!!

Robb

Old 03-12-2005, 04:53 AM
EnsignRam
Pupil

How do these protectors attach themselves to the PPC screen?

I currently use the Fellowes WrightRight protectors that stay on via static cling. They do the job good but are a major pain in the rear to apply; I always seem to get bubbles in between the protector and the screen.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Dave Potter
Thinker

To be honest, I am not exactly sure - although I do know for a fact that they don't use adhesive. My guess is that they use either static cling or some sort of clingy silicone coating.

Also - good point Robb. The AGs do prevent finger prints whereas the C2s do not. I had meant to mention this in my review and somehow forgot.

Old 03-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

I have the AG's for my X5 and the original one is still going strong! I still have an unused one in the packet. :lol: They are good!

Old 03-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

I use the Brando protector for my 4705 and am quite impressed with it. I can't see it at all when my display is on.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Never ever use a Pocket PC without putting on a WriteShield after being introduced to them in early 2002.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:51 PM
s_p_kay
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to s_p_kay
Default Make yer own

I just cut up the self laminating sheets I get a BJ's wholesale for $8.00 a box of 40 sheets. Comes out to be pennies per screen protector - not quite as good as these but I can replace them every month w/out ever having to buy more of 'em!

Old 04-20-2005, 05:57 AM
JCrowe59
Neophyte

Once it's applied correctly, the WriteSHIELD C2 rocks! It took a little adjusting to get the shield on straight and with no dust under it, but once I got it, the shield is invisible. I've only had it on my iPaq 4700 for a few days, but the thing is fairly substantial, is supposed to be removable and cleanable (I'll let you know later) and is crystal clear. I'm in the "I'll take the glare over lack of clarity" camp. I used anti-glare Fellowes screen protectors on my 3850, and got used to the distortion. With these, it's like using the native screen, but with a sense of security!