Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-17-2005, 07:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Mozongo Review the i-mate JAM

http://www.mozongo.com/movabletype/...am_revie_4.html

" How is the device as a phone? It is great, but not excellent. Let me explain. Let us say a perfect phone would have a rating of 10. The JAM would lose 1 point for not having a dedicated number pad. As I said previously this is not a huge hang-up, but an annoyance nonetheless � leaving the phone at a 9, a great score. The phone loses no points for size or style, because it excels at both. Of course not functionality, because it has the Pocket PC factor built-in."

Mozongo have reviewed the i-mate JAM and their personal look is definitely worth checking out if you are interested in the device. There's also a photo gallery with comparison shots so you can see once again just how small this device is. The final conclusion is that the reviewer rather likes it and can see himself using it daily. I was amused to read that the reviewer managed to launch the start menu when his ear touched the screen during a call. Ah, the mixed joy of a touchscreen on a phone. How do you guys with phones embedded in your PPCs handle this kind of thing? Do you hook up a Bluetooth or wired headpiece or are you just very careful with the screen while making a call?

Old 01-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Paundskumm
Pupil

Quote:
How do you guys with phones embedded in your PPCs handle this kind of thing? Do you hook up a Bluetooth or wired headpiece or are you just very careful with the screen while making a call?
I've used the XDA II for over a year and haven't really had a problem with this. I never got use to my bluetooth headset so am sticking to the stock wire headset to listen to MP3 and take calls. However, I can't remember ever having accidently tapping the start menu with my cheek. Honestly, that little start button is a bit out of the way but maybe the XDA mini is easier to hit given its smaller screen size.

By the way, original earpiece for the XDA II kind of stinks and I replaced three in the last year (the wire gets pulled out and you always lose sound in one earpiece... the guys at the shop said that happens a lot). Switched to the XDA IIs before x-mas and so far no problems as well but am waiting for the blackberry support before I render full judgment. I know a lot of people buying the XDA mini and I think its a wonderful little toy. If you don't need the e-mail support, I would think it was a better pick just for the convenience of size. The external speaker on the XDA mini seems louder too than the larger XDA IIs which is useful in noisy streets to hear your phone ringing.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Matt Kitchen
Ponderer

I have yet to encounter too many people that have the same problem, so maybe i just have "dumbo" ears - or misshapen ones at that. Either way, it only happens sometimes and not frequently and does not bother me enough to never use it as a standard phone.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:19 PM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K
Default Re: Mozongo Review the i-mate JAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon Watkins
I was amused to read that the reviewer managed to launch the start menu when his ear touched the screen during a call. Ah, the mixed joy of a touchscreen on a phone. How do you guys with phones embedded in your PPCs handle this kind of thing? Do you hook up a Bluetooth or wired headpiece or are you just very careful with the screen while making a call?
I think the entire XDA series of Pocket PC Phones have the ability to turn the screen off during a phone call. Just hit the power button during the call and that should do the trick.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Re: Mozongo Review the i-mate JAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R K
I think the entire XDA series of Pocket PC Phones have the ability to turn the screen off during a phone call. Just hit the power button during the call and that should do the trick.
8O Umm, that's a little non-intuitive! :lol:

Old 01-17-2005, 05:33 PM
adamz
Thinker

I always use the Bluetooth headset.

The new version of the Microsoft Bluetooth stack has the ability to switch between paired Handsfree Bluetooth devices without re-pairing as well. Works great.

http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=por...ews&id=541

Old 01-17-2005, 08:45 PM
jonathanchoo
Theorist

Well my cheek never activated anything while I am chatting on my Jam. Plus its true that the power button can deactivate the screen while in phone mode, wish it can auto shut off though.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:56 AM
bnycastro
Sage
Send a message via MSN to bnycastro Send a message via Yahoo to bnycastro

i only use the wired headset for listening to mp3s :P or watching some videos, what i do use to prevent face-input on the JAM is the brando leather case (it has a magnetic flip cover for the screen so after i dial i just close it).

for those of you thinking on getting the brando case here is a mini review.

Pros:
Nice Leather I think this is some sort of Nappa
You can sync/charge with case on
You can use headset also
Side Openning Screen Cover Flip with a place to put a spare SD or MMC card (however the 256MB + WiFi SD card from sandisk will not fit)
Thinner profile compared to the free i-mate case (note: this is without the belt clip)

Cons:
The holes could've been aligned better.
Camera hole - ok
Self-portrait mirror + speaker grill - not ok (speaker is partially covered)
Screen - not ok (a bit off)
Front buttons not ok (very off)
mic hole (bottom of ppc phone) - not ok (way off)
The latch on top actually covers the SD slot and so if you are using an SD wifi card this should be open... a big design flaw IMO. they should have gone with two thinner strips to clear this area.

I would post pics but I don't have a website to host and link them. All in all though the cons are very minor and maybe I am just very stingy in terms of cases so I am a bit harsh. I would recommend you getting the brando case for the mean time since it is definitely much better than the free one.

on a scale of 5 this case would be 3 or 3.5 max.

What I'm waiting for is a pvc skin case that covers the whole device (push thru buttons of course instead of cut-outs) with a side opening transparent screen flip. of course without the belt clip thing (i really don't like the belt clip solution-- ok maybe this could be a user option)

I've suggested this to boxwave already hehe
I'm also sure there will be aluminum cases out for this device soon. just hope they make it nicely hehehe!

Old 01-18-2005, 08:03 AM
jonathanchoo
Theorist

Well I rather not use a leather case. The JAM is thick enough already. I do have Brando's silicon case which does not protect the screen.

I am lazy so a little copy and paste from my short blurb posted at Compactjam's forum last week:

Anyway it fits properly and darn better than those cheap cases you get at Vodafone. It comes with a neck/wrist strap as well. Nice touch was there are icons on the part of the cases that covers the buttons (power, d-pad, application, camera and voice recorder). The volume control is not covered.

This might prove frustrating for some people (but not to me): there are no cut outs for the reset hole and IrDA port.

The top front two edges have 'bumps' on them with holes for the strap.

It is a lint magnet though.

It fits tightly but because its silicon it can stretch to allow you to insert/remove the JAM.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:35 AM
gpspassion
Intellectual

Just received the Silicone Case myself and it's pretty good, except I can't put the Jam in they original and convenient defatult belt case. Well you can force it in but not take it out :-)
I got the ultra clear protection too, but it's a bit stiff as I feared so I'll try the clear one I also ordered to be on the safe side.