Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 01-15-2005, 06:30 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Mobile Application Development Toolkit Released

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en

Microsoft have just released Version 2.0 of the Mobile Application Development Toolkit - a set of resources for the development of mobile applications for Pocket PCs and Smartphones. You will find tutorials, hands-on labs, developer tools and SDKs, among others. If you're a developer and you're interested in this toolkit, click here to download it. Be sure to check the system requirements first. ;-)

Old 01-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster

For those who are looking into developing a PPC application, this is a good primer. Had this been available six months ago, I might not have spent $120 on .NET Compact Framework books... :wink:

I like how it goes through and explains things, but I hope that this will be updated. Visual Studio 2005 is coming out soon, and judging from the Beta, it is fantastic. Almost everything that I hated about Compact Framework 1.0 has been corrected in .NET CF 2.0. Unfortunately, it seems that installing this program has hosed my install of Visual Studio .NET 2005 Beta. Live and learn...

Old 01-16-2005, 03:36 PM
volwrath
Ponderer

Im a little confused. Can I buy VB.net and start programming on my PPC or do I have to have VS?

Old 01-16-2005, 04:11 PM
petevick
Pupil

Hi,
VS.Net 2003 Professional is the 'lowest' version you need to develop for mobile devices

HTH

Pete

Old 01-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I hope the next version of .NET addresses the things that can be done with Win32 programming that cannot be done with the current version of .NET...

Old 01-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
I hope the next version of .NET addresses the things that can be done with Win32 programming that cannot be done with the current version of .NET...
Such as? There've been a lot of improvements in Compact Framework 2.0, but it can't have everything, otherwise it wouldn't be... well, Compact :wink:

Old 01-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Kowalski
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski

Quote:
Such as? There've been a lot of improvements in Compact Framework 2.0, but it can't have everything, otherwise it wouldn't be... well, Compact
microsoft states that c++ is for applications which requires and uses lots of system resources, while .NET is for robust developement and easily maintained code.

so we shouldnt expect .NET compact framework to handle every possbible task, plus if it would, than low level programmers like me wouldnt find a job

P.S: .net is a very popular language, and will be much more pupular in the future, so i call c++ a low level language compared to c#

Old 01-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Flynn Arrowstarr
Pupil
Default C++ in CF 2.0

From what I've been reading, there will be support for managed and unmanaged C++ in the next version of Visual Studio, so we may see the demise of eVC.

What I've been reading in Microsoft's newgroups is that they may be releasing a "budget" development system for CE development, though I haven't seen anything "official" from the MS reps that frequent the groups. It would be nice to see something aimed at hobbyist developers though. VS Pro is way out of my reach. :?

If Microsoft added CE development to the core .NET SDK, I wonder how long it would take before SharpDevelop had support for it...

Flynn

Old 01-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Flynn Arrowstarr
Pupil
Default RE: Compiling Net CF 2.0

Just ran across this section of the .NET Framework documentation for 2005: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/h1ek3akf.aspx

According to the article (see table in New Features):

Quote:
Although Compiling without Visual Studio was supported in the .NET Compact Framework version 1.0, the .NET Compact Framework now provides greater stand-alone compiling and debugging support. The .NET Compact Framework SDK is included in the .NET Framework stand-alone SDK.
Sounds like we'll be able to compile Net CF applications from the command line. So, we may yet see some support for CF development in other IDEs. Wonder if the crew at SharpDevelop have seen this yet, heh. :mrgreen:

Flynn