Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-15-2005, 02:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The Future of News is EPIC?

http://www.broom.org/epic/

"In the year 2014, the New York Times has gone offline. The Fourth Estate's fortunes have waned. What happened to the news? And what is Epic?"

This is one of the more thought-provoking Flash presentations I've seen - no dancing hamsters, no talking heads, just a very evocative look at the future of media. It's kind of eerie - I could see much of this coming to pass. Give it a watch and share your comments - what does the future hold for media, both in how it's consumed and how it's created?

Old 01-15-2005, 02:09 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Ah, saw that a few months ago. Yes, very good flash movie, but I wonder how much of it will actually happen.

Old 01-15-2005, 02:30 AM
Alpha2004
Pupil

none of it will happen

they made this (imo) partially to warn us that self made news is not necessarily true news, even though epic is what people perceive as being ideal.

Old 01-15-2005, 02:31 AM
lowair
Pupil
Default all the news...that I want to hear

Appealing....yet disturbing..

The news I want to hear...cool

Just the news I want to hear...hhmmmm

Old 01-15-2005, 02:42 AM
yslee
Thinker

Interesting, the example of the ID card has the name of Winston Smith.

Extremely thought provoking, thanks for the link. My first thought is that such a service will serve to increase the polarity of opinions.

Old 01-15-2005, 03:23 AM
sp0om
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to sp0om Send a message via AIM to sp0om Send a message via MSN to sp0om Send a message via Yahoo to sp0om

That was pretty damn cool. Thanks for sharing it

Old 01-15-2005, 04:01 AM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

Hmmmm - being the cynic that I am, I doubt things will turn out like that. They will be much worse. But not on such grand scale. Not everyone is so durned gullible, but certainly America will be more likely to fall for it than anywhere else ... it is already a land of commercial slaves. Ever tried watching tv over here?

I timed some programs the other day while visiting the mother-in-law (we don't have tv at home, because US tv is such utter crap most of the time). 5 minutes of adverts, 5 minutes of programming. Each 5 minutes of programming was 2 minutes of re-cap, 2 minutes of content, and one minute of "coming up next". This was for a range of programs/channels from Discovery to home improvement .... I couldn't face even 30 seconds of soaps so I don't know if they are worse or better.

OK I'll get down off my soap box now ... <puff, pant ...>

Old 01-15-2005, 05:21 AM
RobertCF
Ponderer
Default Social/Science Fiction

Interesting concepts. I found it laughable they actually used the phrase "journalist ethics", which nowaday is complete fiction in most of the major markets. How funny that traditional news objected to the polarizing, shallow, sensationalism of Epic....the pot calling the kettle black, really.

Okay, I don't doubt that in some fashion "dynamic pseudo-news" will come about. We're pretty much there now. But have you actually tried to read some loser's blog? And why? Talk about boring stuff. I don't see the attraction in either writing them or reading them. Snoozeroonie, total and complete.

There will be a place for that stuff simply because we DO have a society that actually likes to what stupid "reality" shows (get a frelling LIFE, will you people? Stop living off of soap operas!). But the rest of us who have a lot more convolutions in our gray matter will stick to, and be very discriminating in our consumption of, hard news. I can usually tell if a "news story" is really that anchor's editorial or real news. Dan Rather, case in point.

If we actually approach anything like what that interesting piece of flotsam, there was one part I found probably more accurate is that the public will be polarized. The well-connected, but totally clueless, and the somewhat connected intelligentsia.

You know, as I think about it, those in the first group stand the greatest chance of becoming the "energizer bunnies" in The Matrix. Since their reality will be totally fictional, they wouldn't know when they suddenly crossed the threshold into submersion into fantasy.

Hmmm.

Old 01-15-2005, 10:01 AM
bjornkeizers
Sage
Default Re: Social/Science Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCF
Interesting concepts. I found it laughable they actually used the phrase "journalist ethics", which nowaday is complete fiction in most of the major markets.
Hold it right there... Being a student-journalist myself as well as a mass-consumer of all things media, I would like to point out that the vast majority of journalists and their mediums are still very much ethical.

Unethical behaviour is the exception, not the rule. Journalists in general are very much aware of the privileged position they have and the trust and responsibility that goes with it.

It is one of the first things they teach any new journalist, and we're also required to take classes on ethics and have regular debates about our role as a journalist, whether it be about ethics vs. demographics, observing reporter vs. activist (like we did just two days ago)... Ethics is one of guiding principles!

Old 01-15-2005, 03:50 PM
shawnc
Pontificator

This was very interesting, um, entertainment. Very well made with a feel of eery realism. I doubt that it will ever come to that (maybe that's the optimist in me) but I can certainly see someone making the case. Just look at the increasing popularity of sensationalist television and print reporting. Look at how much interest we have in the sordid details of the lives of entertainers and folks in the public eye. The news that an increasing number of people in our society find important is disturbing.

Having said that, I still don't think things will come to what this presentation is suggesting. But very interesting nonetheless.