Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Sandisk's New SD/USB Card: Weird or Wonderful?

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000683026343/

"We got our hands on this sweet new SD/USB card from Sandisk. Yeah, you got that right: it pulls double duty as a normal-looking SD card, but flip it over, pop off the cover, and it slips into any USB port just like that. We�re not sure why Sandisk hopes to cannibalize their own USB card reader market by putting everything into one package, but we are definitely, definitely not complaining. Think we can get them to do this with TransFlash or MiniSD?"

This is certainly interesting but that connector does looks a bit fragile though. It shows you just how small the memory footprint is when you can take up half a SD card are with a connector. And no, I don't see this happening with MiniSD. It's hard when the USB connector is larger than the storage media itself. :lol: So what's the verdict? Is this weird or wonderful and do you want one?

Old 01-07-2005, 11:11 AM
surur
Mystic

Im sure there is no cannibalization going on, when CF card readers are generic and cost $10, and the surcharge on each of these (patented I'm sure) cards is $20 for each card.

Looks like a nice profit stream of this takes off. Its all about value-add.

Surur

Old 01-07-2005, 01:11 PM
RKosin
Ponderer
Default USB/SD

Neither fish nor fowl :roll:

Old 01-07-2005, 01:14 PM
piperpilot
Sage

I like the flexibility of use that it promises. My vote: Wonderful. I want one.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:18 PM
aroma
Thinker

pclove: Mmmmm... me likey. I like this card a bit better than the one discused a week or so ago that left the metal contacts on the USB side exposed. Depending on the additional cost of this card over a standard SD card, I would get this in a heartbeat. I like the thought of being able to pop open this card and plug it into any USB enabled machine. Not too worried about the connector being fragile. I treat my SD cards as being pretty fragile anyhow, and am very careful with them to begin with.

- Aaron

Old 01-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Bruno Figueiredo
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Bruno Figueiredo

I definetely WANT ONE. That way I can ditch my USB flash.

All my info inside my PPC.

Just imagine. Put a word doc in it and you can edit it on your way home. Or take some pics with the built-in cam and put them on any pc. The possibilities are endless.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:39 PM
mhynek
Ponderer
Default Sure, why not...

This design could, potentially, phase out "key fob" usb thumb flash drives. I will probably hold out till they come up with a 512mb version though. What!? Oh, that IS a picture of a 512mb card? Silly me. Sign me up! How great would it be at the office, to find a program or whatever strikes your fancy, and be able to save it to a thumbdrive that is ALWAYS with you. Or that program you just saw on PPT that you've just got to have the .CAB for. I, for one, do not have an Activesync connection at work, but would love this simple solution. I would no longer need to carry a card reader. Perhaps one for the PPC and one for the wallet? Silliness aside. Great idea. I want one!

Old 01-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Swordsman74
Pupil

YES! I want one now! Please ship it overnight to....

I agree with mhynek - I've been holding off getting a big ol' USB thumbdrive because I don't want to carry around a PDA and a thumbdrive that can't talk to each other... And getting a 1gb card poses the obvious issue of not having a reader when you need it. This would be a fantastic marriage of those two concepts...

Now, since I'm greedy, when will this come out in CF format, so we can have the same functionality but with larger capacities and lower cost???

Old 01-07-2005, 03:56 PM
ghostppc
Intellectual

Great! *Sigh* Now if only they'd slap one of these suckers inside of a pocket pc for 512+ megs of internal memory!! :bad-words:

Old 01-07-2005, 03:56 PM
JF in Detroit
Pupil

Count me in. And my wife will enjoy owning my new cruzer mini.