Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-07-2005, 01:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Phasing Out Pocket PC And Smartphone... Brands!

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/01/06/HNmicrosoftphaseoutpocket_1.html

When I read the headline all I saw was "CES: Microsoft to phase out Pocket PC, Smartphone" and thought "What in the world...?" 8O Turns out it is just the brand names though.

"Microsoft is gradually phasing out its Pocket PC and Smartphone brands in favor of an overarching Windows Mobile brand, a company representative said Thursday. In the past 18 months, Microsoft has already been pushing the Windows Mobile brand more than the individual Pocket PC and Smartphone names. Over the next year or two, the product category names will be completely phased out as the technologies merge, said Scott Horn, a senior director in Microsoft's Mobile and Embedded Devices group in an interview at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas."

I will be glad to see the products merge. Small square screens in a flip phone design. Is it a Pocket PC or a Smartphone? Who cares? It should also go a long way to eliminating confusion about what device can do what, assuming Microsoft merges the functionality as well. And for the first time in 4 years, I think MS is moving towards shorter names, getting rid of "for Pocket PC Phone Edition" and similar trailers. :wink:

Old 01-07-2005, 01:08 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Well, Jason has already registered windowsmobilethoughts.com so why not just migrate this site to there? In the end, I see where smartphonethoughts.com and this site are combined....

Old 01-07-2005, 01:17 AM
liquidblaze
Neophyte
Send a message via ICQ to liquidblaze

dont forget tabletpcthoughts.com

jason is just waiting for Tablet PCs to gain more market share...

Old 01-07-2005, 01:53 AM
MS Mobiles
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
Well, Jason has already registered windowsmobilethoughts.com so why not just migrate this site to there? In the end, I see where smartphonethoughts.com and this site are combined....
I wanted to ask the very same question :lol: but you were first 8) !

However one remark: "Windows Mobile" is a registered trademark and Microsoft will not allow to use it in Internet domain name - I had some talks about topic of Internet domain names with MS folks arleady. So probably Jason will have to invent some other name. I don't even dare to propose anything... anybody?

anyway the fact is one: Pocket PC very soon will no longer be known as such and many people will not recognize it as platform or brand.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:00 AM
orol
Ponderer

well, the thing is that Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition for Smartphones is kinda long name bud I don't thing it's going to be shorter

Microsoft tends to use long names => Microsoft Windows XP Tablet Edition with Service Pack 2, Microsoft Office XP Professional Edition with Frontpage for Developers, to name a few

Old 01-07-2005, 02:13 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Mobiles
Quote:
I wanted to ask the very same question :lol: but you were first 8) !
That makes three of us.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:08 AM
marcm
Intellectual

Hmm... I like the name "Pocket PC" I'll miss it... :cry: :wink: :lol:
Well, I think I'll beat you ALL at your endless names... I invented a new one: Windows Mobile for Pocket PCs 2003 Second Edition Revision 2 with Enhanced Pocket Internet Explorer and MSN Messenger Service Pack 2 BEAT THAT!!! :twisted: :lol:
Well, at least it's good that they aren't completely phasing out Pocket PC and Smartphone, as Ed thought earlier...

Old 01-07-2005, 03:12 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
If Pocket PCs and Smartphones ever merge to become the unified mobile device, then maybe... You never know. We'll see how events unfold within the next few years.

Old 01-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Skitals
Intellectual

There is no way this will happen in the next 2-3 years. (this being Smartphone and Pocket PC merging, who cares what they are called). It seems to be the way things are headed, but it would never work. This is why MS released the Smartphone to begin with. There is some logic behind my madness, if you are interested you can read what I have to say here.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:15 AM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Quote:
Well, Jason has already registered windowsmobilethoughts.com so why not just migrate this site to there?
He also registered palmosthoughts.com. 8O

No...not really. Just wanted to give Ed a cerebral hemorrhage. 8)