Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-06-2005, 12:00 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default The Modular PC: OQO-Licious or Delicious?

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?ContentId=3870

"The Modular PC measures 3"x5"x3/4" and weighs approximately 9.1 ounces. The Modular PC is not much larger than a deck of cards. The power supply, display and I/O connectors have been removed. The CPU contains the processor, memory, data and applications. Inside the Modular PC are a 1 Ghz processor, 512 RAM, and a 20 or 30 GB hard drive. Unlike many handheld computers, the Modular PC runs full Windows XP Professional."

This thing works on the concept of "shells". You want a micro tablet? Plug the module into a micro tablet shell. Same for laptop and desktop. How much do you want to bet that the shells aren't cheap? What do you think of this? Would YOU want one?

Old 01-06-2005, 12:16 AM
jkendrick
Thinker

Isn't this just a rebranded Antelope computing core? This has been available for over a year and is quite expensive by the time you add all the bits you need.

http://www.antelopetech.com/en/index...putingCore.htm

Old 01-06-2005, 12:17 AM
foebea
Intellectual

just checked the site. The shells aren't cheap at all.

laptop shell for 800$ (includes battery, ac adaptor and internal cd rom)
micro tablet shell for 990$ (includes battery, ac, stylus, screen protector, handstrap)

These prices are for the baseline version of the shells too. If you want options, its quite a bit more expensive. some of the addons are appearantly so high it lists 'call for price'

I think I would recommend sticking with the laptop. For this price you could get the very best Alienware has to offer with all the fixings. All of them

Old 01-06-2005, 12:25 AM
bobmay
Pupil

I would want one. I couldn't afford one, but I would want one with all the fixings.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Hugh Nano
Intellectual

Want one. Can't afford one. Got a Axim x50v and BT keyboard instead.

VGA and TextMaker help, but still wish I could track changes, create PDFs, use real IE, etc.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:51 AM
surur
Mystic

Yes, if this comes down in price (by 75% would want one. Even better would be if PDA's could work like these.

Surur

Old 01-06-2005, 01:22 AM
Damion Chaplin
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surur
Even better would be if PDA's could work like these.

Surur
I agree. Take the core and put a touch screen and ROM chip with WM on it. Then I can plug my PDA into my desktop or laptop shell. No transferring of files needed...

That might be something worth paying that amount of $$ for.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:32 AM
sponge
Philosopher

It'd be worth it to pay for a watered down Windows Mobile, but not something that runs full blown XP?

Old 01-06-2005, 02:08 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge
It'd be worth it to pay for a watered down Windows Mobile, but not something that runs full blown XP?
I think they mean it'd be worth it if the small object could be used WITHOUT a shell as well as WITH one. Otherwise, it's portable from one location to the next, but not necessarily usable BETWEEN locations.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:49 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

A world without PCs as we know them... Terminals everywhere... Everyone (and I mean everyone, except for those who don't want to have one) has one of these... We all carry all our info on these, plugging them into the terminals whenever we need to do "big screen" work and using them like most of us currently use Pocket PCs when we're not at a terminal.

:drool: