Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 12-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default There Are No Words...

http://www.google.com/tsunami_relief.html

It wasn't until this morning, after reading a news story and watching several videos on the subject, that I fully grasped (if such a thing is even possible) how horrific the earthquake and subsequent tsunamis were that struck southeast Asia. I've been wrapped in post-holiday events and don't normally watch news on TV, so this event didn't become "real" to me until this morning. To those of you who were disappointed we didn't mention this until now, I offer you my most sincere apologies. And to Isaac who sent a rather scathing email to us this morning, you should have known better than to accuse us of not caring. It's always better to ask them to assume.

We normally don't post on world events, because it always seems that it upsets someone who has some dislike for the country/religion/ethnicity (which explains a lot of the problems the world has today), the conspiracy theories come up, the finger pointing starts, and we have to lock the thread before our community members tear themselves apart. I've come to realize that there is a time and place for everything, and a Web site about Pocket PCs is not the place to discuss politics, religion, or even most world events. I'm often stunned that, in matters of human life and death, people will be so petty as to bring up the fact that country "X" has a certain political stance that the don't like - as if it justifies their refusal to feel sadness or assist in some way.

All that said, I hope that in this case everyone can put aside their personal bias and focus on helping the victims of this terrible tragedy. To the families and friends of people affected by this, on behalf of the staff and volunteers of Thoughts Media, I offer you my most sincere condolences and prayers. If you're reading this Web site, odds are good that you're among the wealthiest 5% of the people on this planet, and it's time to put that to good use. Regardless of how much you can afford, I'd urge everyone reading this to make some sort of financial donation to support the relief efforts that are now underway. Google has a useful page with several organizations you can donate to. I've made my donation, and I encourage everyone to give as much as they can.

Let's unite our efforts and help the people who need it. In honour of the people who have lost their lives in this horrific event, there will be no more posts until tomorrow.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:16 PM
humayunl
Intellectual

Thank you for bringing this up Jason. And also pointing us to places where we can make contributions/donations. I was just thinking about where to search for making my donation and you've just made my job a little easier.

I also urge everyone reading this to make whatever contributions you can afford and urge others (non ppct people) to do so as well.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:17 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic
Default Re: There Are No Words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
We normally don't post on world events, because it always seems that it upsets someone who has some dislike for the country/religion/ethnicity (which explains a lot of the problems the world has today), the conspiracy theories come up, the finger pointing starts, and we have to lock the thread before our community members tear themselves apart.
I didn't even expect you to post about this tragedy. It really doesn't relate to Pocket PCs or technology, so I don't have any problem not hearing about it on PPCT (or other Thoughts sites). If this event is important enough to post about on PPCT, why not others? IMO, the lack of non-PPC/technology news and discussions is what makes the Thoughts communites so friendly and helpful. I realize this was a huge tragedy, and I too offer my condolences to the victims.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:24 PM
mel
Ponderer

I have never donated to a disaster relief organization...but I desperately want to help out now. Can anyone that has already donated money suggest which is the most direct form of aid...Red Cross/Americares/Unicef etc?

Old 12-29-2004, 08:25 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
I have never donated to a disaster relief organization...but I desperately want to help out now. Can anyone that has already donated money suggest which is the most direct form of aid...Red Cross/Americares/Unicef etc?
I too have that feeling...it's amazing to see the Amazon.com American Red Cross Disaster Relief page. Refresh it and watch the numbers increase. That's truely amazing.

edit: almost too amazing...eh, sometimes when I refresh the # of Payments goes down...eh, someone want to explain that to me? :huh:

Old 12-29-2004, 08:28 PM
daS
Thinker

Thank you Jason for the excellent points you made here. As much as I'd like to discuss various comments regarding the politics of the reactions to this catastrophe, I will refrain and focus on the little help I can offer. To that end, I urge others to join me in offering a donation to Direct Relief or one of the other organizations listed by Google. (Great link.)

Old 12-29-2004, 08:36 PM
bjornkeizers
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daS
Thank you Jason for the excellent points you made here. As much as I'd like to discuss various comments regarding the politics of the reactions to this catastrophe, I will refrain and focus on the little help I can offer.
Then why'd you even bring it up? I'm sorry if I'm about to offend you, but what the hell does this have to do with politics? Who could you possibly want to blame for a natural disaster?

Old 12-29-2004, 08:38 PM
antlab
Neophyte

Hi Jason.
I would simply like to thank you, both for the sensitive words and for the links about donations.
Catastrophes like this one lead to really feel our human fragility respect to the forces of Nature. Maybe, as pointed out by some technical people who commented on the issue (e.g. Rifkin), this can be an occasion to better understand the enormous importance to share our advanced technology with less rich people and countries, for example to realize some sort of basic alarm systems that could avoid some of the worst effects.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornkeizers
Then why'd you even bring it up? I'm sorry if I'm about to offend you, but what the h-ll does this have to do with politics?
Take a look at what's circling around in the media right now, and you'll find your answer. It's human nature to associate nearly everything with politics.

But that's not a discussion for this forum. Take it off-line if you want to discuss it.

--janak

Old 12-29-2004, 08:44 PM
NLS
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to NLS

It's way too sad.

It's way too big.

We are way too small.