Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 12-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default BostonPocketPC Reviews Conduits' Pocket Slides

http://www.bostonpocketpc.com/modul...wcontent&id=179

"As an active 'information worker' (one who spends a great deal of time in meetings, planning and conversations) in my day-to-day job role, the use of Microsoft PowerPoint as a presentation medium is essential to my overall success. While it is possible to do most of my work in the office at a PC, there are any of a number of times where I need to be able to view, review and (most importantly) edit or create PowerPoint presentations when I o*nly have access to my most mobile of devices - my Pocket PC. While Microsoft provides 'pocket-sized' versions of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel, conspicuous by its absence is PowerPoint...If PowerPoint viewing, editing and authoring o*n a Pocket PC is your need, then Pocket Slides may very well be the product for you."

Don Sorcinelli of BostonPocketPC gives a nice detailed review of Conduits' Pocket Slides and generally likes it. If you've been interested in the software, you should check the review out.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:23 PM
urologyhealth
Intellectual
Send a message via Yahoo to urologyhealth
Default CONDUITS Pocket Slides

What advantage does this have over Repligo 2.0?

Thanks

Old 12-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Re: CONDUITS Pocket Slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by urologyhealth

Thanks
It's a real Powerpoint in your pocket - you can edit your slides and stuff. With RepliGo, you can't do the same. And, RepliGo is not really optimized for presenting Powerpoint presentations either.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:

Thanks
It's a PowerPoint viewer/editor which Repligo is not. Repligo is an Adobe replacement, and a very good one. It's intent is to allow you to convert anything you can print, into a PPC viewable format. Used with Powerpoint you can essentially print a deck of slides and view them as if flipping pages in a printout.

Pocket Slides is a full slide presentation package to complement PowerPoint, much like TextMaker and Planmaker are Word and Excel counterpoints. It allows slide show editing and creation on the PPC, including transitions and sounds. It features support for many VGA out capabilities that would allow you to present a PowerPoint show using your, or a client's, monitor or projector directly from the PPC.

Old 12-29-2004, 11:43 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Now Conduits just needs to have an $11.11 sale to celebrate Carnival

(Or I'd accept a $1.01 to celebrate New Year's :mrgreen: )

Old 12-29-2004, 11:47 PM
urologyhealth
Intellectual
Send a message via Yahoo to urologyhealth
Default CONDUITS Pocket Slides

How do you present from PPC that only has SDIO card and no CF card?

Old 12-30-2004, 03:34 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
You suck it up and buy the Margi Presenter To Go SD. http://www.margi.com/support/sup_ptg_comp.htm

MobilePlanet has it for $189.95 and due 1/15/2005
http://www.mobileplanet.com/product....&listing=1

That may be a stock thing because I thought this has been out for a while. Maybe it has just been hype though.

Old 12-30-2004, 03:41 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Ideally, if you can't purchase the Margi Presenter To Go SD Card, you'd probably have to wait until you upgrade. A lot of PPCs are now starting to incorporate CF slots once again, and with devices such as the Axim X50v with a video-out port, we may expect moves toward that sort of thing in future devices.

Old 12-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
Quote:
Ideally, if you can't purchase the Margi Presenter To Go SD Card, you'd probably have to wait until you upgrade. A lot of PPCs are now starting to incorporate CF slots once again, and with devices such as the Axim X50v with a video-out port, we may expect moves toward that sort of thing in future devices.
Since you brought up the Axim X50v's VGA out capability, I thought I'd fill you in on how that works with Pocket Slides v2.01.

As it is, Pocket Slides does not specifically support the VGA out on the Axim, but it does work with the mirror function included on the Axim. Even with that there are some issues, but none that can't be worked around. The biggest problem is rotation. With just mirror running, or just Pocket Slides running, I can rotate from portrait to landscape at will. Running Mirror and Pocket Slides and rotating means soft reset time. So just get it into the aspect you want beforehand. It does work pretty well if you turn the machine Landscape, fire up mirror to display on the external monitor/projector and then run Pocket Slides.

Would be nice if Conduits were to incorporate native support for the Axim. I expect they will as it is a built in feature of the device. It's fairly new though, so I'm giving them time. I have suggested it to them, directly, because the Axim VGA out feature isn't all that well known, or advertised, or pushed by Dell.

Old 12-31-2004, 03:48 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven
As it is, Pocket Slides does not specifically support the VGA out on the Axim, but it does work with the mirror function included on the Axim. Even with that there are some issues, but none that can't be worked around. The biggest problem is rotation. With just mirror running, or just Pocket Slides running, I can rotate from portrait to landscape at will. Running Mirror and Pocket Slides and rotating means soft reset time. So just get it into the aspect you want beforehand. It does work pretty well if you turn the machine Landscape, fire up mirror to display on the external monitor/projector and then run Pocket Slides.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads-up. :way to go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven
Would be nice if Conduits were to incorporate native support for the Axim. I expect they will as it is a built in feature of the device. It's fairly new though, so I'm giving them time. I have suggested it to them, directly, because the Axim VGA out feature isn't all that well known, or advertised, or pushed by Dell.
Agreed. I'd like to see how far the VGA-out concept goes in the future, because it's definitely an interesting feature IMO, yet not widely recognised at this stage.