Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 12-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default HTC Harrier Reviews Surfacing

There's been considerable excitement about HTC's new CDMA Pocket PC Phone, known as the XV-6600 on Verizon and the PPC-6601 from Sprint.
  • Dave's iPAQ does a first: he reviews a non-iPAQ device -- the Verizon XV-6600 (although, being an HTC device, it might be considered an iPAQ cousin). He likes it a lot, too, and gives a number of tips, including information on how it can be used as a 1xEV-DO modem.
  • Jackson Howa over at PhoneMag reviews the Sprint version and comes away impressed with the unit as well.
My main gripes are that Wi-Fi are missing and I'm not quite sure how well a case can work with such a unit, but apart from those, I think HTC really has a winner on its hands. 8)

Old 12-23-2004, 04:16 PM
JohnJohn
Thinker
Default I love mine too

Like Dave I also like my new Siemens version.

Anyone know if the connector on the bottom is the same on all these different branded devices. My local Cingular store doesn't have any car chargers yet. I am hoping to pick one up at a Sprint or Verizon store.

Thanks,

Old 12-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Guttrhead
Pupil
Default Cingular SX66

I picked up the SX66 about a week back and the device is awesome. Battery life isn't as bad as i thought it would be, but it is not good at all. I thought it would have a camera because all of the other blue angel versions do, but no luck there. I've been looking for a case since I got the phone and can't find one that allows access to all buttons and ports, the keyboard to slide out and the ability to talk on it without taking it out of the case. No case I have seen even comes close. I'm already looking to switch to the BenQ P50 when it comes out because I cant see carrying something this expensive around with out protection that doesn't limit function.

Old 12-23-2004, 04:40 PM
PdaAddict
Ponderer
Default Was about to comment on the heading. The CDMA version is called "Harrier" not "Blue Angel"

Does anyone have a problem with the screen being yellow on Siemens SX66 (HTC Blue Angel)? I recently switched from Dell Axim X50V to Siemens but cannot get used to the much worse, in my opinion, screen.

Old 12-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

I've had my sx66 for over a week now and absolutly love it! (wish it had a camera but...)
Yeah the screen has a yellowish tint to if viewed at off angles but the colors are so much deeper and richer than they were on my 2215. I love the new screen.
Here are a few cases. All but one can open the keyboard while in the case:
http://shop.brando.com.hk/bwmetalcase_details.php?i=25
http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05...amp;t_mode=des
http://www.pielframa.com/menu_xdaiii.htm
http://www.krusell.se/product.php?s=2&product=1816
http://www.ebcases.com/Detail.bok?no...gory=i-mate+2K

I was going to get one of the aluminium cases but i heard someone mention that they really cut down on signal strength. Which kinda makes sense.

Old 12-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Guttrhead
Pupil
Default Cases

Jason

Ive checked out those cases. I didn't want one that I'd have to flip open to use, this knocks out the leather ones. I also dont like that they cover the speaker when closed. I can't hear my phone ringing if it in the case that came with the phone because of this. The aluminum ones all cover the buttons on the front, once again I'd have to open it to use it and it looks like all of them have to be opened up to use the keyboard. One more thing I don't like about the phone is the button lock. Its so easy to accidentally hit the power button which turns on the device and unlocks it. I think there should be at least a 2 button combo to do this.

Old 12-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Yeah, i didn't really care for any of the leather cases. And the metal ones look like you can get to all the buttons except the the 4 programable ones above the d-pad. I have this case for my ipaq and love it. Something like this would be nice for this phone. It has access to all the buttons.

I definetly know where your are comming from about the speaker being covered. Even the case that comes with the phone makes it very hard to hear it ring. I have started using ring and vibrate for the ringer style or making my own .wav ringers with higher volume. I guess i'll just wait a while in the case.

Hmm.. i've never accidently turned mine on. But comming from a ipaq 2215 i always hit the calendar button to turn it on or off.. :lol:

Old 12-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Guttrhead
Pupil

A javo case like that would pretty much be perfect. With the hard plastic, they could probably make a way for one piece to slide over ther other to make the keyboard useable without unlatching or opening anything first. Maybe throw some colored plastic or rubber grips on there to make it look nice too.

Old 12-23-2004, 08:33 PM
darrylb
Thinker
Default Re: I love mine too

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJohn
Anyone know if the connector on the bottom is the same on all these different branded devices. My local Cingular store doesn't have any car chargers yet. I am hoping to pick one up at a Sprint or Verizon store.

Thanks,
The connector on the bottom is the same as the XDAII and the headphone jack is also compatible with the XDAII.

Therefore, any XDAII accessories should work on the Harrier and BlueAngel which is really nice.

Old 12-23-2004, 08:52 PM
urologyhealth
Intellectual
Send a message via Yahoo to urologyhealth
Default siemens sx66 and CONNECTORS

The bottom of the SX66 is not exactly the same---there is an extra lip in the middle that come down. You have to depress whatever connector you are putting in at an angle. I'm not sure all connectors will work and I would not want to force an older one to make it work.

I'd like to hear others experience.