Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 12-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default A Little Bluetooth Goes a Long Way. A Very Long Way

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/a...,714017,00.html

"Bluetooth is best known for short-range, low-bandwidth wireless jobs: connecting a cellphone with a headset or syncing a PDA with a nearby computer. But just as a flashlight�s reflector focuses a small bulb�s light to make it appear brighter, the right antenna can boost a weak wireless signal. So I detached the stock antenna from a Linksys USBBT100 Class 1 USB Bluetooth adapter ($70; linksys.com) and replaced it with a larger HyperGain RE05U 2.4GHz antenna ($15; hyperlinktech.com). With that simple mod, I can make a Bluetooth connection up to a mile away."

And so can you. We've previously posted about a more experimental Bluetooth Range Extension, but Popular Science Magazine give full details of their 13 step procedure. They give it a difficulty rating of 3 out of 5, which should be no problem for you guys right? ;-) Warranties? We don't need no stinking warrantees. ;-) Anyone fancy trying this?

Old 12-22-2004, 03:39 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

Isn't it going to be hard to see the screen to be using the keyboard that far away. :wink:

Old 12-22-2004, 03:52 PM
Paragon
Magi

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but how usable is this? The access point range is increased to about a mile, but the Pocket PC still only transmits info back....30 feet! In affect it is only one way communication, right?

Dave

Old 12-22-2004, 03:55 PM
marcm
Intellectual

I wonder how long it's going to take before someone attaches a bluetooth adapter to a radio tower for a bluetooth signal all over their city... :wink:

Old 12-22-2004, 04:05 PM
surur
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but how usable is this? The access point range is increased to about a mile, but the Pocket PC still only transmits info back....30 feet! In affect it is only one way communication, right?

Dave
This again puts paid to the whole 30 feet/100 feet range thing of bluetooth class I and III. Clearly if you have enough gain you can transmit at any strenght, and still be picked up. All you need is a better antenna. Just look at the little Rover on Mars and Radio telescopes here on Earth.

Surur

Old 12-22-2004, 04:07 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

Another example of just because you can doesn't mean you should

Old 12-22-2004, 04:13 PM
that_kid
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to that_kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon

Dave
Not really because the gain imposed by the antenna affects both the transmit and recieve. Think of it as using a un-amplified bullhorn, larg on one end small on the other, when you speak into the small end your voice is amplified out the larger end, if you put your ear to the small end all the sound coming into the larger end is concetrated to your ear.

Old 12-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Paragon
Magi

Thanks, Eric,

I always wondered about that. Great analogy btw.

Dave

Old 12-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleReeck
Another example of just because you can doesn't mean you should
Bingo. :wink: This is definitely W?BIC! at it's best.

Old 12-22-2004, 04:33 PM
NLS
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to NLS

old news

with WIFI that more established for long(er) range INCLUDING such modifications (in Greece we even have a semi-official WIFI network IN WHOLE Athens) I don't see why would I bother