Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 12-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Japan Gets Sharp Zaurus SL-C3000 PDA with 4GB HD

http://www.i4u.com/section-viewarticle-71.html

Engadget spotted that I4U News have a review up of the Sharp Zaurus SL-C3000. The main points of note about the unit are that it runs Linux and that it's got an impressively large Built-in Storage area ;-):

"The twisting screen is great, but not new for this model. The SL-C3000 can be used as a flip open PDA with full keyboard, or as stylus operated PDA. New with this model is the USB interface and of course the integrated 4GB hard-drive. Connecting the PDA to a PC lets me access the Hard-drive and move files back and forth. The bundled Intellisync software also works over USB and synchronizes the usual PDA applications with MS Outlook. The bundled PC software is in Japanese."

As Engadget mention, there's no onboard Bluetooth or WiFi, but that's nothing an add-in card or two can't fix. I don't fancy that flat keyboard though. The unit reminds me of the Sony Clie line: interesting hardware designs, shame about OS. ;-) Come on, where are the clamshell Pocket PCs with landscape VGA screens and 5Gb hard drives? I'm looking forward to the diversity that PPC2003SE and beyond enables, but the future seems rather slow arriving....

Old 12-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

The reflective nature of the screen reminds me of the CSV technology employed in a lot of laptop screens today. I definitely wouldn't mind laying my hands on one of these devices. It's got a slick look to it. 8)

Old 12-10-2004, 12:07 PM
jonathanchoo
Theorist

If the price is right and they can fit bluetooth into it I will get one.

Also Jonathan, your link it wrong.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanchoo
You're referring to the Engadget link? I just realised there's one less "w" in the "www". Don't worry - I'll fix it.

EDIT: Er, hang on. It's already been fixed. 8) Jonathon's had his coffee today.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
If the price is right and they can fit bluetooth into it I will get one.
No Bluetooth for now......

Quote:
Fixed. That's OK, you spelled my name wrong, so I figure we're even. :wink:

Old 12-10-2004, 12:38 PM
popabawa
Intellectual

Man, that is one sweet looking device 8O

Message to manufacturers.... I'd love a PPC in that form factor.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:23 PM
surur
Mystic

Sony sure makes lovely hardware. The tic-tac keyboard does not look too useful though.

Some pocketpc OEM needs to remake this with WM and a better keyboard, and wifi and bluetooth of course.

I wonder if the OS can be reflashed with WM. It has the same hardware as most other pocketpc's, and the lack of non-standard wifi and bluetooth might actually make it easier.

Would people donate $10 to a fund for an engineer to get their hands on this device and open it up?

Surur

Old 12-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Stephen Beesley
Thoughts Media Review Team

If they could marry that screen (keeping the ability to flip over and be used as a tablet) with a keyboard like the one on the ol' Psion 5/5mx range then I would probably buy one tomorrow - well except for the fact I probably couldn't actually afford it... :?

Old 12-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Deslock
Thinker

Bah. The screen is too small for the footprint of the device. Its OS is some-tasty though...

Old 12-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Stephen Beesley
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock
Bah. The screen is too small for the footprint of the device. Its OS is some-tasty though...
Agreed there seems to be a lot of wasted space on either side of the actual screen area - kind of reminds me of the screen layout of the old HP Omnigo.

If the upper part of the clamshell was "all screen" then you would really be talking.

As for the OS - I would love to have a play with one of the Sharp line of Linux PDAs. Visually the OS looks great and some of hte apps look very well developed. The only downside for me is the lack of a good "proper" HWR software (something like Calligrapher) for the Zaurus line.