Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 12-09-2004, 06:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default "Fighting Back" Against Obnoxiously Loud Cell Users

http://www.draplindustries.com/arch...ves/000594.html

"That's right. We're tired of having to listen to your loud, obnoxious conversations. We don't care about yer new haircut or what "he" might have said to you the night before. (We couldn't believe it either!) It doesn't interest us in the least whether or not you are going to attend the company Christmas party or when you need to pick up yer ugly kids from soccer practice. Nope. Don't want to hear it. We're fighting back."

There's a PDF you can download and print out that has little handy cards like this that you can hand to people who don't realize how sensitive their cell phone microphones are (or, for that matter, don't know appropriate places to use their phone). As a daily above-ground rail commuter, I can truly appreciate this, although I don't think I'm brave enough to hand these out yet. Nevertheless, the PDF is quite well-done and some of the cards are really funny.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:33 AM
dangerwit
Intellectual

Ahhh! Post-modern oppression, you gotta love it. Wait until you hand this card to someone who is hearing-impaired (or talking to someone who is), or you get a card because someone thinks your haircut is terrible. Can't we just 'walk away' anymore? Does everyone have to be so dramatic? :?

I think it sucks when someone is selfish enough to be loud and obnoxious on their phone in close quarters, but if you can't get up and walk away, why not try to set an example and not stoop to their level?

(Just finished a bowl of Frosted Bitter Flakes, sorry guys)

*Phil

Old 12-09-2004, 06:39 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerwit
you get a card because someone thinks your haircut is terrible
Hey, that's not a bad idea. :lol:

Quote:
Can't we just 'walk away' anymore? Does everyone have to be so dramatic? :?
In all seriousness, there's something about hearing a one-sided conversation that makes it far more annoying than anything else. People also tend to be much louder than they have to. And, trust me, there are many situations where you can't walk up and get away. I'm not advocating that you must hand out these cards, but I thought it was a cute, nonaggressive concept. :P

--janak

Old 12-09-2004, 07:08 AM
Tierran
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Tierran Send a message via AIM to Tierran

Well, I'm sure I deserve a stack of the things. Personally I don't care about people talking on the phone in public. If I want peace and quiet I'll go into my home and blast my music

Its really funny, I think. But also goes both ways.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:11 AM
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to Default

I'm totally going to do it.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Kaber
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Kaber

Things used to be better when people were actually willing to employ violence.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Phoenix
Sage

Those are hysterical! I've got to print some of those out! :lol: :lol:

Old 12-09-2004, 08:59 AM
x999x
Intellectual

I'd probably be more insulted than "enlightened" by one of these cards, and I'd associate the person handing these out as the same person who took up Hall Monitor in grade school.

I don't know about you, but I hate Hall Monitors, and after school, they all learned to run very, VERY fast to the safety of their parents.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:45 AM
PR.
Theorist

Personally I'd find a bucket of water with their phone at the bottom a bigger deterrent.

There is no reason what so ever to have to shout down a phone at someone especially in public (Train, Street, Shops etc.) the recipient has a volume control and they can use it.

This card should also cover those idiots who have their ringer on ridiculously loud as if they leave their phone in the car but have it loud enough that they can still hear it in the office. Then of course they just leave it on the desk so every person in a 3mile radius can hear some worthless tune playing over and over and over again.

People with noisy phones and poor phone manners are the people who need to be more ******* considerate not the people minding their own business making the mistake of sitting near you, :evil:

Old 12-09-2004, 11:20 AM
dMores
Philosopher

haha

i love 'em.

but ... i guess i'm just too chicken.

i'd rather hand out cards to place under windshieldwipers to tell off car drivers who park their car without thinking of the rest of the world who's desperately trying to get a parking space and driving in circles for almost an hour last night at 11pm ...

good design as well.