Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Kevin Remhof
Intellectual
Default eGrips Reviewed: Grip it Good

Product Category: Accessories
Manufacturer: eGrips
Where to Buy: eGrips
Price: $9.95 USD and up, depending on device.
System Requirements: PDA, cell hone, camera, any item that needs a little extra grip.

Pros:
  • Easy to apply;
  • Long lasting;
  • Makes your device slip proof.
Cons:
  • A little thick.
Summary:
Is your PDA, cell phone, camera, or other device a bit too slippery? If so, check out my review of eGrips. They'll add some extra texture to keep your device from sliding out of your hands.

Read on for the full review!

What Are These?
eGrips are custom fit rubber grips for all of your electronics. I have an aluminum case for my iPAQ 1945 which is just too slippery. I hunted for a solution and found eGrips. They claim to keep your devices from slipping, sliding, and falling.

Figure 1: My eGrips, iPAQ case, and an alcohol wipe.

My hope was that eGrips would add some grip to my iPAQ case without adding too much bulk. I bought an aluminum case because they are so small and form fitting. The last thing I wanted to do was double the thickness of my case. Thankfully, eGrips delivered.

Installation
The eGrips retail package comes with several grips for your device. They will work for almost any cell phone, PDA, or other electronic device. Check out the selection on the eGrips site, it is quite extensive. I chose the Universal Multiple Sizes kit, which includes 11 different grips of various shapes and sizes. Very handy if you have a device of an odd size. The kits come with an alcohol wipe to prepare the surface to attach grips to. After a quick wipe-down, I was ready to install.

Figure 2: My initial installation.

To install, all you have to do is peel and stick. After that, these grips are stuck on really tight. The grips feel a bit chucnky at first, but are only around a millimeter thick. They add a bit of bulk, but given that they keep the device from slipping, they are worth it.

Durability
I initially installed 3 grips. Two on the back and one on the front of my iPAQ. They worked great. However, there was nothing to give me extra grips on the sides. So I added a few more on the sides a few days later. They made a big difference.

Figure 3: A close-up of the grips.

One narrow grip I placed on the side of my iPAQ case has fallen off due to some abuse over the past few months. One other is starting to get a little ragged as well. But I can't complain about the durability of eGrips. They take a lot of abuse before losing their stickiness. The three main large ones that I originally installed are still going strong.

Conclusions
eGrips are a very nice product. They claim to keep your devices from slipping and sliding, and that's exactly what they do. I've had a set installed my my iPaq for over 9 months and they are still going strong. These solved my gripping problems and I'm sure they will solve yours too. They add a bit of bulk but are worth the thickness for the security they provide.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:19 PM
starstreak
Ponderer

I use this on my gps bluetooth dongle. WOrks great in the car. doesn't move around on the dash.
I also use it on my laptopmouse. Works great. makes themouse feel just a bit bigger and my hands doesnt slip while holding the mouse.

Old 01-15-2005, 03:40 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Looks cool. I have something similar, except it's a mat that prevents slipping. So rather than having the grips on the Pocket PC, the grips themselves are on the mat and that prevents anything on it (Pocket PC / mobile phone, etc.) from slipping. :mrgreen:

Old 01-15-2005, 04:35 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

My mom has bought yards and yards of that stuff over the last several years. Maybe you better start worrying, Darius, you don't want to become an old woman

Old 01-15-2005, 04:48 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Side note: love the title. :P

Old 01-15-2005, 05:06 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
My mom has bought yards and yards of that stuff over the last several years. Maybe you better start worrying, Darius, you don't want to become an old woman

For your sake, I don't buy them. I got given them. I only use it in my car anyway just so half my gear doesn't fly from the front to the back. :P

Old 01-15-2005, 07:28 PM
disconnected
Sage

I used to use the mats, but they seemed to get dusty, roll up at the edges, and not work too well after a while. I've now had egrips on a gps receiver and sirius remote for several months, and they work amazingly well. I was sure the gps would still slide off the dashboard, but it doesn't move. Also, I now don't have to pack a mat when taking the gps receiver on a trip where I'll have a rental car.