Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 12-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Motorola MPx: Launch Schedule & Memory Configuration

I'm in Seattle at Microsoft's Mobius conference, and we just had a presentation from a Motorola representative where he confirmed that the Motorola MPx will be released before the end of the year...in SE Asia. :? He did, however, indicate that the phone would be available in other markets "shortly". I'm not sure what that means, but I'll venture a guess we'll see it released in North America in Q1 2005...let's hope that's not too far off. That's the good news - what follows is the bad.

He confirmed that the MPx would come with 32 MB of RAM, which I find shocking. I openly asked him if they expected the product to be a success with that much RAM, and he believed it would be. He said that the reason why they didn't go with more RAM was that it was a trade-off between the hardware and the battery life and size. I believe this was the wrong decision and that users would have sacrificed a bit of battery life to get 64 MB of RAM.

How does the RAM break down? On the demo unit I saw, 23.79 MB of of the 32 MB is useable after a soft reset with 1.19 MB in use for storage, and 10.17 MB in use by programs. I'll do the math for you: that's only 4.37 MB free for storage and 8.06 MB free for programs. I was shocked by the 10.17 MB of RAM in use after a soft reset with no other software running. It comes with a 64 MB Flash ROM chip, of which 59.45 MB is available for user storage. Interestingly enough, the Flash ROM shows up as "ResidentFlash" in the File Explorer. There's a normal memory slider, which puts to end the rumour that the MPx was going to have 32 MB of RAM purely for application execution, and that 100% of the storage was going to be in Flash ROM. If that was really the case, this device might have been decent with 32 MB of RAM.

I'll wait for a shipping unit before making a final judgment on the device, but based on the current memory configuration, I have a hard time seeing this device being successful in the market. I'm fully aware that Motorola wasn't aiming at the power user market, and are instead focusing on communications, but given the amount of RAM space Pocket Inbox, Pocket Internet Explorer, and all the other communication apps need just for "slack" (temporary files, etc.) 32 MB is absolutely insufficient. It's a shame, because the hardware is the most innovative thing we've seen so far on the Windows Mobile platform - but with the current memory configuration, this device will be a colossal flop.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:15 PM
carphead
Thinker

Moto

:iamwithstupid:

ukeface2:

I was waiting for the MPX but decided not to both and brought a C500 instead. Much better solution.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:16 PM
freitasm
Oracle

I played with one here and used it for a demo during a User Group meeting. Vodafone New Zealand will have it in feb 2005, alongside the MPx 220.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:27 PM
MobileAGBell
Pupil

What is going on with Motorola? Several months ago I returned a V600 because of 1) poor Bluetooth implementation, and, 2) crappy software integration (the phone book is a joke). I looked at the Razor and found the same crappy software. I have held off buying the MPx220 because of the reported problems with it. My local Best Buy doesn't have any '220s. They claim they returned their stock and are waiting on units that work.

IMHO Motorola has the best hardware and the worst software. Microsoft should buy them before Nokia does. I'd love to see the MPx or the MPx220 with Symbian Series 60 software.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 PM
surur
Mystic

I cant believe they are releasing this with 32Mb RAM. *Mb free! What a joke. Good thing I stopped waiting for this 3 months ago, after all the poor rapports from Howard forum.

Surur

Old 12-02-2004, 11:35 PM
powder2000
Thinker

Ever since the htc ppc phones with keyboards came out I haven't even thought about this thing. Wonder if they will still charge an arm and leg for this. :roll:

Old 12-02-2004, 11:42 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Yikes! I was just explaining to some friends of mine how Moto used to be king of the mobile phone, only to be clobbered by Nokia, and felt that Moto was on the right track to reclaim their throne...Maybe I'm thinking of a different throne for them if this keeps up. That's a big miss.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Chris Spera
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Chris Spera

You're reporting what was told to me as far as a release schedule is concerned. I've been talking with (well, I've been doing most of the typing...MotoPro hasn't been saying much, which speaks volumes...) Motorola over the past few months. When I shot them a HUGE number of questions regarding hardware specs and memory configuration, they clamed up.

I agree with what Jason is saying. The hardware DESIGN is the most innovative I've seen in years. Some of the technical specs are pitifully weak. The device may not be targeted at power users, but its going to draw them in droves. Unfortunately, they are going to take one look at it and drop it like a hot rock.

The processor as speced is woefully underpowered. Its TI OMAP processor is the same or similar to that of the HP 6315. People have been complaining about it for months.

32MB of RAM that would have been dedicated to Program RAM would have been much better than this. With the configuration you've described, the device WILL flop without a doubt. There won't be enough RAM to run WiFi and then BT (or vice versa) without soft resetting. Its going to run out of RAM and resources before you blink.

There may be something to the rumor of a 64MB device based on what your're reporting here, Jason. You need to ask them about that and see what they say; but even at 64MB, its not going to be powerful enough for those users who need the communications tools that this device could and SHOULD provide.

I had dreams of push e-mail, web surfing, and phone calls all at the same time. Now, I'll be lucky to do things one at a time due to the memory constraints.

I'm glad that I too, gave up on it and went with an i-Mate PDA2K instead. The device should arrive by tomorrow morning, btw...

The MPx is too late to market, technically outdated, and pitifully, pathetically underpowered. Its too bad. The first time I saw one, I knew that I wanted one. Now, we'll have to wait and see...

Maybe we'll get lucky and the MotoPro group will prove us both wrong...

Old 12-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Birdman
Theorist

I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a PDA2K when I saw some posts on howardforums about the possible imminent release of the MPX. I have been following the MPX saga for some time, and it is truly my dream form factor, so talk about release made me second guess my PDA2K decision.

Well after reading some of these posts, I think tomorrow morning I will submit my order for the PDA2K and hopefully get it next week. I would have waited for the MPX...

Old 12-02-2004, 11:58 PM
commander66
Pupil
Default Oh....

What is Moto doing ?

They are killing the best technology with lousy specs before they even release the device.

I hope it will flop so that they are urged to release a 64MB device asap.

Or....maybe we see similar devices by Dell or i-mate throughout the next year.