Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Email � A Thing of the Past?

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/h...0411280034.html

"The email era is coming to an end because replacement communication means such as Internet messengers, mini-homepages (dubbed "one-man media"), and SMS are wielding their power. As a consequence, the stronghold of email, once the favorite of the Internet, is being shaken from its roots."

Oh dear. The world's tech-savvy nations never cease to amaze me. Reading this article made me feel a little old and withered. :|

While IM and SMS are a godsend, I personally feel as though they don't yet fulfil the role of being complete email replacements. I always saw email as being a fast and easy way to relay both formal and informal communication from one person to another, yet it was never meant to be instantly replied to. So comparing emails to IM and SMS can be very "apples-and-oranges" to say the least. It will be interesting to see how far this goes though. Emails have long killed the pen-and-paper letters that were around decades ago. Whether IM and SMS kills off email is a whole new concept to be explored. Only time will tell. So I guess the people in Korea won't be wanting their Gmail invites then.

What are your thoughts? Will email still be around for many years to come, or do you think it's drawing to an end and is in dire need of a replacement?

Old 11-30-2004, 08:14 PM
acollet
Ponderer
Default I have to agree

Even in my professional life, email is becomming less and less of a useful tool. In my company, IM rules the roost. e-mail is left for nothing but sending fiels and calendar invites.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:26 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

I work with many small businesses who are JUST NOW getting comfortable with e-mail. It takes a small business forever to get comfortable with technology and to use it to it's full potential.

Considering that small business is the biggest employer in the United States, it's going to be years before e-mail goes away, if ever. I would say to re-visit this question in 10 years.

If only there was an easier way to get rid of SPAM... We solve this, then e-mail will be around for MUCH longer. Are we listening world leaders?

Old 11-30-2004, 08:27 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

As far as function is concerned, I think that IM is the same as a telephone call.

Personally I prefer email on both sides of the conversation. Especially when there is real information to be passed.

As a developer, I like being able list the entire scenarion. Give all the options. As a fully qualified question.

Then allow the other person to read it, think about it and give me back an informed reply.

Phone calls often end with "Let look at it and get back to you."

It doesn't do me any good to put someone on the spot when they can't give me the best answer.

If its something quick, then sure IM, or perhaps get up and walk over. 8O

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 11-30-2004, 08:46 PM
emuelle1
Thinker

IM is good for instant, informal communication. It's also good for things like still being able to converse with my friend in California when I live in New Jersey. Great for maintaining ties with otherwise good friends who never did respond to snail or email.

In my company, email is still a pretty good tool. I think that for personal applications, it may start to move over. Just as junk mail has taken over the 1st class service from the Post Office, and telemarketing has taken over the telephones, personal email is giving way to spam. But for formal communication, it still has a lot of life left in it and companies are just barely starting to scratch the surface of what can be done with it.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:51 PM
egads
Theorist

I'm a techi kinda guy and I have never felt the urge to IM. If I want a bunch of technical questions answered I send a email, if I need to talk to someone I call them or walk (heavens no, no walk) to their office.

IM is a toy for teens to play with...

Old 11-30-2004, 08:57 PM
emuelle1
Thinker

I definitely won't get into an IM chat with someone who can't use somewhat proper English, but I've found it to be useful for casual chatting, when possible.

When I have problems with my DSL that don't involve my connection, I both call their tech support number and log on to their tech support chat. Whichever one gets picked up first I use and I disconnect the other one. I've found the chat to be fairly useful, and one operator can handle several problems at once rather than one.

I wouldn't want to do a chat on my cell phone. It's hard enough to put in names with the number pad.

I think there's still a lot of undiscovered potential for IM that adults and "geeks" such as myself can use without the silly language and spelling.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:59 PM
capo
Ponderer
Default bleah.

I'll take email over IM for just the reasons the article claims Koreans prefer IM. I don't like being a slave to the tyranny of the urgent. Email gives me a chance to formulate an intelligent informed answer and it can wait until it's convenient for me to answer. IM is like the phone - it demands immediate attention and interrupts the flow of my work. Some interesting thoughts in this thread though - "Just as junk mail has taken over the 1st class service from the Post Office, and telemarketing has taken over the telephones, personal email is giving way to spam." Very good point.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:08 PM
Cybrid
Pontificator
Default IM & Email would combine....

...I'd say the two would become one and the same....kinda like calling someone and getting their voice mail. Seems like the most logical.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Skitals
Intellectual

I usually use two forms at once... send a long email followed by a short text or im ... "check your email!" =]

Generally, I only resort to email when my contact isnt on an instant messenger, and its to late or innapropriate to call. I usually follow up with an SMS because it is true, people seem to check their email less and less these days, but at the same time we want instant gratification.