Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 11-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default PPCW: "Surrounded By Mobile Data Devices"

http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2124

"About two years ago, I always was the only one with a "mobile data device" such as the XDA and got very odd looks from my neighborhood. But times have changed, quite significantly as I am able to observe on my travels. Now, there are a lot more people using what I just call "mobile data devices", other may label them smartphones or PDAs with GPRS modem or whatsoever. Regardless of the name used, this day I always will remember: When getting out of the airplane at the Munich airport, we had to take a bus ride in order to reach the terminal. First, an old phone rings next to me and a businessman fingers for his MDA I. Another old phone rings (they obviously like this ring) and a second businessman on my right picks his MDA II. A third businessman on my left starts calling on his SonyEricsson P900 while his colleague is reading his emails on a Blackberry. And last but not least, another businessman behind me gets his Palm Treo 600 to check something on the Web."

We're not quite so connected over on this site of the pond as Arne is over in Europe, but I do notice an increasing number of people carrying Danger Hiptops, Treos, even the occasional Windows Mobile Smartphone/Pocket PC Phone units. Once the latter units' prices come down here, I'd expect it to continue to grow as a market. 8)

Old 11-03-2004, 07:10 PM
ikesler
Intellectual

I have to agree........ seeing a lot more users out there of various devices. I love that. I don't look like a weirdo anymore!

Old 11-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Mike Wagstaff
Intellectual

Yep, I've definitely noticed it here in London, too. I almost feel out of place on the tube if I'm not holding a mobile, and Blackberry's seem to be ever more popular with business types.

Old 11-04-2004, 05:51 AM
maximus
2000 Posts And This is All I Get?
Send a message via ICQ to maximus Send a message via MSN to maximus

In singapore, you aint cool if you aint wearing any mobile data device

Old 11-04-2004, 06:47 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus
In singapore, you aint cool if you aint wearing any mobile data device
Tied to a string and hanging around the neck? :P

Old 11-04-2004, 10:00 AM
Raven
Ponderer

frankly speaking, i've never seen anybody carrying their xdaII or p900 on their neck....and the trend has changed.....besides, most of the people i talk to find that hanging a phone around your neck is ridiculous....

maximus, please tell me you are not referring to that trend....if you are, maybe you got that wrong? no offense, just so happens that i came from singapore.

cheers

Old 11-04-2004, 10:14 AM
maximus
2000 Posts And This is All I Get?
Send a message via ICQ to maximus Send a message via MSN to maximus

Ah, my bad.

By 'wearing' I was referring to 'using' or 'having'.
Sorry.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Raven
Ponderer

no problem, thanks for clearing my doubts. anyway i do agree with you that in singapore almost everyone has a mobile phone or mobile data device....and i even see school kids carrying smartphones 8O

its a pity we don't always get the latest and greatest first though.