Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Symbol Announces New MC50 Pocket PCs

http://www.symbol.com/products/mobi.../MC50/MC50.html

"The MC50 enterprise device is ideal for mobile professionals who are not working at a desk or stationary location and need real-time access to people and information while they are on the move. Equipped with integrated wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) connectivity and data capture options, including 1D and 2D bar code scanning and image capture or one megapixel color camera configurations, the MC50 is designed for in-facility, real-time communication, data capture and VoIP telephony, enabling decision making at the point of activity."

The units look quite versatile, with a 520MHz processor, WM2003 (not SE?), 64MB of RAM/64MB of ROM, support for barcode scanning, and, most importantly, it supports a 3' drop onto tiles over concrete.

Old 10-21-2004, 01:35 AM
brianchris
Philosopher

Is it just me, or does the non-keyboard model of these look like it have Call and Hang-up buttons? Are these phone edition devices?

Old 10-21-2004, 02:08 AM
CiscoKid
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to CiscoKid Send a message via MSN to CiscoKid Send a message via Yahoo to CiscoKid

I'm a Symbol partner in Canada...no they're not Phone Edition...it's designed for VoIP apps.

Old 10-21-2004, 02:09 AM
sylvangale
Intellectual

From Symbol data sheet on Voice... only VOIP,

Quote:
Internal Voice Communication:

Integrated Voice-over-IP ready (P2P, PBX, PTT)
Wi-Fi�-certified, IEEE 802.11b direct sequence wireless LAN

Old 10-21-2004, 04:04 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
The units look quite versatile, with a 520MHz processor, WM2003 (not SE?), 64MB of RAM/64MB of ROM, support for barcode scanning, and, most importantly, it supports a 3' drop onto tiles over concrete. Wink
The exclusion of WM2003SE seems a little odd to say the least. It's hard to find newly released devices without the new OS. However, with that aside, the inclusion of Wi-Fi, and an integrated camera is nice, and it certainly is "rugged" enough for those that have a tendency to play frisbee with their Pocket PCs.

However, I still don't know if the missing SE would deter some users from the device. Personally, if I were to purchase a new device now, one of my priorities would be WM2003SE.

Old 10-21-2004, 05:42 AM
freitasm
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
The units look quite versatile, with a 520MHz processor, WM2003 (not SE?), 64MB of RAM/64MB of ROM, support for barcode scanning, and, most importantly, it supports a 3' drop onto tiles over concrete. Wink
The exclusion of WM2003SE seems a little odd to say the least. It's hard to find newly released devices without the new OS. However, with that aside, the inclusion of Wi-Fi, and an integrated camera is nice, and it certainly is "rugged" enough for those that have a tendency to play frisbee with their Pocket PCs.
The original post Engadget links to is on Geekzone. The specs on the Press Release diverge from the specs on the main page of their site, and they do say WM2003 SE on this document.

Old 10-21-2004, 05:46 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitasm
The original post Engadget links to is on Geekzone. The specs on the Press Release diverge from the specs on the main page of their site, and they do say WM2003 SE on this document.
Much better.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Old 10-21-2004, 03:32 PM
powder2000
Thinker

These things looks awesome. Rugged and, to me, not much bigger than other ppcs on the market. They are also priced more competitive than past rugged models. I can't wait to see if some used ones show up on ebay in a year.

Old 10-21-2004, 05:36 PM
thunderck
Intellectual

Symbol reps tell me that a Carrier wireless solution is in the works as well. So those call and hang-up buttons may have a more diverse use in the future. I bet this devices will do VIOP and auto switch between Carrier and WLAN, when the time comes. Just having VOIP is still nice because in Distribution Center workers carry Walky-Talkies, for example, if they used the Symbol handheld they could use all their apps and talk wirelessly. Less stuff to buy. 8)

Old 10-21-2004, 09:35 PM
freitasm
Oracle

Got an e-mail confirmation from Symbol saying that their website will be rectified and they're indeed using WM2003SE.