Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Doug Raeburn
Review Coordinator Emeritus
Default Loox Like a Winner - A Review of the Loox 720 Pocket PC

Product Category: Pocket PC
Manufacturer: Fujitsu Siemens
Where to Buy: Clove Technology
Price: �339 ($620 USD at current exchange rate)
Specifications: 4.8" x 2.8" x .6", 6.0 oz., 3.6" VGA screen, Intel PXA270 520 mhz CPU, 128 MB RAM, 64 MB ROM, 802.11b, Bluetooth 1.2, 1640 mAH battery.

Pros:

• Screen is extremely sharp and bright;
  • Very compact for a full-featured unit;
  • Very speedy;
  • Lots of RAM;
  • Dual card slots;
  • WiFi and Bluetooth;
  • High quality construction and materials.
Cons:

• Flimsy battery door;
  • Mediocre camera;
  • Limited availability of accessories.
The hardware side of Pocket PCs has been pretty quiet over the past year or so, and new models being introduced had very similar features in a given price range. But the hardware has gotten exciting again with the recent release of several new models from various manufacturers that feature screens with VGA resolution. Compared to the heavily promoted models from HP and Dell, the Loox 720 from Fujitsu Siemens is pretty much flying under the radar. Much of that is due to the fact that it�s not being marketed in the US or Canada. However, the 720 is widely available all over Europe in several languages, including German, French and Spanish, and it can be purchased from several vendors in the UK if you�re interested in an English language version.

My take is that the Loox 720 may be the best Pocket PC that you�ve never heard of. Read on for the full story!

The Playing Field
The recent introductions of the hx4700 and the X50v were major media events among Pocket PC sites. When the X50 was released, every major Pocket PC site (including this one) scrambled to make sure it had its review posted that same day. Meanwhile, the Loox 720 had a much quieter introduction, and the media frenzy was limited to a number of European-based sites and a few that are dedicated to Loox Pocket PCs.

It�s unfortunate that lesser known Pocket PCs such as the Loox 720 and Asus A730 have been overshadowed by the attention lavished on the HP and Dell units, because they offer some very viable alternatives that deserve more careful consideration than they seem to be getting. Let�s see how they compare.

The Specifications

Figure 1: Tech specs.

Figure 1 lists the hardware specs of the major VGA Pocket PCs, along with the specs of the iPAQ 2215, a popular dual-slot unit from HP�s previous generation.

The VGA units have screen sizes ranging from 3.6 inches to 4.0 inches, with the Loox having the smallest VGA screen. However, the Loox does have a slightly larger screen than the most popular QVGA Pocket PCs from previous generations, such as the iPAQ 2215, 1945 and 4155, and it is an amazing screen, as I�ll demonstrate further on.

There seem to be 2 schools of thought regarding memory configurations in these new devices. HP and Dell have stuck with the previous generation standard of 64 MB of RAM, but have provided large amounts of storage in flash ROM. The Loox, Asus and Toshiba units have gone the route of 128 MB of RAM, and all but the Asus provide additional flash ROM storage. More on that later.

As for processors, the latest units all use the Intel PXA270 chip, clocked at either 520 or 624 MHz. The older Toshiba 800 and iPAQ 2215 both use earlier versions of the PXA chip family clocked at 400 MHz.

Does Size Really Matter?

Figure 2: Dimensions� the 720 is surprisingly svelte. Click the chart above to see metric measurements.

Sure, but how it matters depends on your priorities. As you might guess, the Toshiba and the hx4700, with their large 4 inch screens, have the largest overall dimensions as well, while the units with the smaller screens are also physically smaller overall.

I had gotten quite used to the size of my iPAQ 2215, and decided that my next Pocket PC would be in that same general size range� I didn�t really want anything that was substantially bigger. The most key dimensions that translate into �bulk� are width and depth, and I was pleased to find that the Loox is actually slightly narrower and thinner than the 2215. It is slightly longer than the 2215, but to me, length is much less important (in a Pocket PC, that is�).

The Loox is the narrowest of the VGA Pocket PCs and among the thinnest. When I hold it, it feels much like the 2215 size and weight-wise, despite weighing about .9 oz more.

Other Specs and Features
All of the units being discussed feature slots for CompactFlash Type II and SD cards. All are SDIO ready.

The Loox comes with a standard 1640 mAh battery, which is a large battery by Pocket PC standards. Only the hx4700 has a larger standard battery (1800 mAh), and the Asus and Dell come with a comparatively small 1100 mAh battery.

The Loox is the only currently available VGA Pocket PC with Consumer IR, so if you�re a Nevo fan, keep that in mind. It also meets the improved Bluetooth 1.2 specification� of the VGA units discussed here, only the Asus has the older 1.1 specification.

A feature offered by the Loox (and Asus) is USB host functionality. This means that you can attach USB peripherals such as keyboards and keychain drives directly to the Loox. The HP and the Dell don�t offer this feature.

Like the Asus, the Loox offers a 1.3 built-in megapixel camera with an LCD �flash�. While this may look good on the spec sheet and in brochures, the photo quality is mediocre at best. I�d personally prefer that they left the camera off, because it�s of little value, IMO.

The Loox lacks a separate graphics accelerator, a feature of the HP and Dell. This will be of little consequence initially, as few software titles that take advantage of these graphics accelerators will be available at first. The degree to which software publishers will embrace the graphics accelerators is unknown. And it remains to be seen if the graphics accelerators will make a big difference in performance.

One last feature of note is built-in support for VoIP, which gives the Loox the ability to serve as an Internet phone.

A Visual Tour of the Loox 720

Figure 3: The Loox 720 � Click the image above for a larger version of the photo.

The Loox has what I�d describe as a sleek and sophisticated �executive� appearance, making it a good choice for business use. I prefer this look to the extremely techie �tricorder wannabe� appearance of the hx4700 and the rather dull and uninspired appearance of the Dell. Of course, that�s just my taste� style is a very personal thing.

Above the screen, from left to right, you have the wireless indicator light, the VoIP speaker, the power/message light and the power switch. The bottom has the usual 4 application buttons and a joypad with the action button in the center.

Figure 4: The view from the top � Click the image above for a larger version of the photo.

On the top, you�ll find the CompactFlash and SD slots, the stylus, the IR interface and the headphone jack.

Figure 5: The view from the bottom � Click the image above for a larger version of the photo.

The bottom includes the reset button, the microphone and the ActiveSync port.

Figure 6: The left side � Click the image above for a larger version of the photo.

The left side features a jog dial, and another application button. By default, it calls up the FSC SpeedMenu application, a cascading menu system.

Figure 7: The right side � Click the image above for a larger version of the photo.

The right side has but one control, for the recorder.

Figure 8: The back � Click the image above for a larger version of the photo.

On the back, you�ll find the battery door, the camera lens, the flash and the �self-portrait mirror�.

Figure 9: The 720 next to the iPAQ 2215 � Click the image above for a larger version of the photo.

When placed next to the iPAQ 2215, you can see that other than length, the dimensions are very similar.

Figure 10: The 720 next to the iPAQ 5455 � Click the image above for a larger version of the photo.

When placed next to the older iPAQ 5455, the Loox looks quite a bit smaller. And the 5455 doesn�t have dual slots (although it has a 3.8 inch screen).

Figure 11: How do they stack up? 5455 on top, 2215 in the middle, Loox 720 on the bottom. Click the image above for a larger version of the photo.

Figure 11 shows the comparative thickness of the 3 units. The Loox is slightly thinner than the other two.

The Loox impresses with a very solid and high quality feel. It�s on par with the 5455 and better than the 2215 when equipped with the flimsy standard rubber grips. However, when fitted with high quality replacement grips such as those from Pocket PC Techs, the 2215 has a similar high quality feel.

Figure 12: The cradle � Click the image above for a larger version of the photo.

The cradle is a stylish and sturdy feeling unit, with a space for charging a spare battery.

One downside of buying a Pocket PC that�s designed for sale in another country is that AC plugs differ from country to country. The UK-targeted Loox that I received has an AC adaptor that can be used with 2 types of AC plugs commonly used in the UK, but it lacks the ability to be used with AC plugs in the US. It�s a simple matter of buying a plug converter from Radio Shack (no voltage converter is required), but it is a minor inconvenience. If you�re ordering a UK unit to use in the US, keep this in mind if you order one, so that you have the converter on hand when you receive the shipment.

The Screen

Figure 13: Agenda Fusion in VGA on the 720 � Click the image above to see the real screen shot.

Figure 14: Agenda Fusion in QVGA on the 2215 � the real screen shot.

Figure 15: Pocket Excel in VGA and landscape on the 720 � Click the image above to see the real screen shot.

Figure 16: Pocket Excel in QVGA and landscape on the 2215 � the real screen shot.

VGA resolution promises an outstanding screen on a Pocket PC, so does the Loox deliver on this promise? Absolutely. Everything is sharp and highly detailed, text is laser printer crisp and the colors are bright. When entering text in Calligrapher, the online �ink� almost looks like real ink, and it looks better with the anti-aliasing mode turned off than on the 2215 with the anti-aliasing mode turned on.

I�ve included some screenshots from the Loox and from the 2215 for comparison purposes. It�s difficult to set a level playing field with the screenshots, because the capture utilities capture the images at their native resolution. So the 2215 has smaller 320 x 240 screenshots, while the Loox has much larger 640 x 480 screenshots. Scaling the large screenshots down with graphics software doesn�t do them justice, so I included the shots as captured. Just imagine an image as crisp as the larger images, but in a smaller format on a Pocket PC screen. You really have to see it.

The screen takes a very light touch. If you press hard, you�ll find a bit of what I call �shadowing� that follows the tip of the stylus. It disappears instantly when you lift the stylus. I�ve seen comments from hx4700 owners about a similar phenomenon, so it may be the nature of the beast. It doesn�t bother me at all, but some people might have an issue with it.

Memory and Storage Space
In his recent review of the Dell X50, Jason stated that he didn�t feel that any Pocket PC needed 128 MB of RAM, because he was able to install nearly all of his programs in the Dell�s Flash ROM. Be that as it may, my viewpoint on this topic differs from his for other reasons.

The memory configuration was one area that greatly affected my purchase decision. My current workhorse unit, the 2215, has pretty close to the same kind of memory configuration as the hx4700 and X50v� a large SD card stands in for the standard flash ROM of the newer units. I keep lots of PIM information and e-mail on my Pocket PC and, because of the location of the databases on the Pocket PC, this data can be stored only in RAM. As a result, I was bumping into the limit of the RAM on the 2215 all the time, and I came to the decision that my next Pocket PC would have more RAM.

Other folks have noted that with other RAM intensive processes such as using GPS software with large maps or playing large media files such as converted DVDs (as noted by Jason himself) may also prove to be a challenge for 64 MB of RAM. So although the total available storage is fairly similar on all of the new VGA units, I place more value on more RAM than on more Flash ROM, which gives the Loox a significant advantage in this area over the HP and the Dell, at least for my usage.

So since there are still some Pocket PC functions that require lots of RAM, I have to say that I�m much more comfortable with 128 MB of RAM than with 64 MB of RAM and lots of Flash ROM. Pocket PC Techs seems to agree, since they�ve already released an upgrade to 128 MB of RAM for the hx4700.

Battery Life
The large battery that comes standard on the Loox is a big advantage as well. With as much as I used my 2215 at work, I have a pretty good sense for how long I can go before the battery is starting to get low enough to need a charge. I�ve worked for a comparable period of time with the Loox, to find that the battery was still at the 70% full range. This would be about when the 2215 would be at 35 � 45%. I have to say that this is the first Pocket PC with which I�ve actually stopped being concerned about the battery charge level.

I didn�t run the battery benchmarks, but when using Spb Benchmark�s most strenuous test (maximum backlight, video playback), firstloox.org found that the 720 lasted for an impressive 6 hours 8 minutes. Suffice it to say that the 720 is among the very best performers in battery life of any Pocket PC currently available.

The Camera
It seems that many manufacturers of portable electronic devices are convinced that people need a camera everywhere they go. So we have the onslaught of cell phone designs that include a digital camera. And now it�s beginning to move into the PDA arena.

It�s just too bad that these cameras yield results that range from mediocre to bad. And the camera in the Loox is no exception.

Figure 17: An indoor shot with the Loox 720 - Click the image above for a larger version of the photo.

Figure 18: The same indoor shot with a Canon G6 digital camera - Click the image above for a larger version of the photo.

I took 2 similar indoor photos, one with the Loox 720, shown in Figure 17, and one with my regular digital camera, shown in Figure 18. The photos are just as they came from the cameras, other than a color balance correction to compensate for the ambient tungsten lighting. As you can see, compared to the photo from the Canon, the Loox photo is softly focused with low contrast and poorly saturated colors.

Figure 19: An outdoor shot with the Loox 720 - Click the image above for a larger version of the photo.

Figure 20: The same outdoor shot with a Canon G6 digital camera - Click the image above for a larger version of the photo.

Cameras such as the one in the Loox tend to do their best with natural light, so I took another pair of pictures with both cameras, this time using an outdoor scene. The Loox did somewhat better here, with better color saturation. But the photo is still very softly focused when compared to the Canon. To be fair, the Loox has a fixed focus lens, while the Canon has a high quality auto-focus lens, but the soft focus of the Loox was still disappointing.

The Loox camera software features 4 different image sizes and a number of photo effects that it calls �ambiance�. The latter is a bit counterintuitive for more experienced photographers, as it includes settings for incandescent and fluorescent, similar to settings for white balance on other cameras. However, with typical cameras, selecting fluorescent compensates for the blue cast inherent to fluorescent lights; with the Loox, it adds an effect to make the picture look like it was taken under fluorescent lights.

One minor advantage over the similar camera in my cell phone is that the Loox provides an LED that functions as a flash. It does help a bit in low light conditions.

There are a few more things that could be said about the camera, but I�ll leave it at this. And I�ll recommend that you not consider the camera as any kind of real advantage for the Loox over the competition, unless your standards for photographic quality are very low. This is one feature that could have been left off, in my opinion, and it�s the only real issue that I have with this otherwise very impressive device.

Benchmarks

Figure 21: Benchmark index.

Figure 22: CPU index.

Figure 23: File system index.

Figure 24: Graphics index.

There were few surprises in the benchmarking results. When compared to the results posted by Jason for the X50, the CPU and File System indices are right in line given CPU speed. And the Graphics index results are not unexpected either, given the Dell�s graphics accelerator. But the 720 beats the 2215 and 5450 quite handily. Firstloox.org tested the 720 at playing .avi files and found video playback to be very smooth.

Beyond the Benchmarks
Benchmarks are all fine and good, but how does the Loox perform in everyday use?

Overall, I�m very satisfied. Responsiveness shows marked improvements over the 2215. Most noticeable is the speed with which Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant display when activated from an application button. Both products also switch views instantaneously, and changing category filters on a large set of contacts takes under a second.

Large spreadsheets still load fairly slowly, though faster than on the 2215. But once a spreadsheet is loaded, searching, sorting and other functions are very speedy. I imagine that this has as much to do with the Loox�s more generous memory headroom as with the faster processor.

Most games also performed very well, from simple games like Solitaire and Jawbreaker to more graphically complex games as Toki Tori and Landware�s Shanghai Pocket Essentials. Toki Tori in particular was much smoother and more responsive than with the 2215. The only game that I�ve played so far that�s slower than on the 2215 is Astraware�s Diamond Mine.

In everyday use, the Loox 720 provides a satisfying sense of speed, especially compared to my 2 iPAQs.

A few more observations:

• The battery cover is very thin, although it fits well.
  • The power switch is a little too sensitive.
  • Buttons and joypad have a quality feel, and the joypad seems quite responsive.
  • The stylus is too thin and light, but it�s adequate.
  • The reset button can�t be pressed with the stylus� the top of the stylus must be removed, which provides a small pointer for pressing the button.
  • The loudspeaker is easily the best that I�ve ever found on a Pocket PC� it sounds crisp, rather than tinny like most others.

The Wonderful World of Wireless
Like the competition, the 720 comes with both WiFi (802.11b) and Bluetooth. Both are quick to connect and the connections are strong, but the same could be said for the 2215 with its built-in Bluetooth and an SMC Wireless CompactFlash card. What is notable, however, is the ease of using WEP encrypted wireless networks. With both of the iPAQs, the settings were fussy and the interface was disjointed. With the 720, however, connection is simple. When you select an encrypted network, it prompts you for the key and then it figures everything else out and voila, you�re connected. I�m not sure how much of this ease of use is compliments of WM 2003 SE and how much the Loox itself brings into the picture, but it�s dramatically simpler.

The ConnectMate E2C application also makes it simple to switch from one network to another. It stores all configuration and security information for a network under a user-defined name, so switching from my home network to the network at Starbucks is a piece of cake. With this generation of devices, wireless connections are finally becoming easy enough for the �non-geeks� among us to use

Stranger in a Strange Land?
Ordering and purchasing a Pocket PC from a merchant overseas who doesn�t have explicit support for US sales does introduce some challenges. For example, if you order from a US-based retailer like Best Buy or Amazon and you need to speak to someone about your order, you just call the ever-present, ever-handy 800 number. Not so when dealing with a retailer out of the UK� an international call is required. Not to mention the fact that purchasing an expensive tech device from a foreign country tripped the automatic fraud protection at my credit card company, turning a simple purchase authorization into a major hassle, despite the best efforts of the merchant.

Of course, the order fulfillment issues came on the tail of a series of delivery promises from Fujitsu Siemens to the merchants, who then made their own delivery promises, which all fell through several times when Fujitsu Siemens missed the delivery dates. The result was many very frustrated �early adopters� whose need for instant gratification was left unsatisfied for weeks. This certainly was not the merchants� faults, but they were the ones who got the earful when the customers felt compelled to vent.

Although such an order carries with it the potential for issues, I feel fortunate that everything went as smoothly as it did for me, and the vendor had everything to do with it. I would like to commend the folks at Clove Technology in the UK, who did everything in their power to expedite both the shipments from Fujitsu Siemens to Clove and the shipments from Clove to their anxious customers. They did the best they could under very difficult circumstances, and always remained friendly and professional even in the face of some scathing posts on various sites unfairly blaming them for things that were beyond their control. Since they were so responsive to all e-mails that I sent, I didn�t have to resort to any international phone calls. Based on my experience, I�d order from Clove again without hesitation.

Back to the issues� service could also be a bit more difficult. At this point, I�m not certain if my Loox would have to be shipped to Europe for service, or if a US-based partner would handle service. I�ve heard it suggested that Fujitsu service centers in the US would handle Loox service, but to my knowledge that�s never been verified

Finally, it seems that the lack of marketing for the Loox in North America relegates it to second-string status as far as some third party manufacturers are concerned. For example, the options for cases for the Loox are far more limited than with an iPAQ. In the �premium� case market, Piel Frama offers a case for the Loox, but Vaja has indicated that they aren�t planning to do so. Also, one of the first accessories that I purchase for a new Pocket PC is a replacement stylus from PDA Panache. Not this time, though� they don�t support the Loox. Don�t get me wrong, there are many accessories available for the Loox, but the selection is considerably slimmer than with more widely marketed Pocket PCs.

Conclusion
A few minor quibbles aside, the Loox 720 is easily the finest Pocket PC that I've ever used. It has so many things going for it... the beautiful screen, the fast processor, plenty of RAM, long battery life, dual memory card slots and dual wireless options. Solid build and sophisticated executive styling are further pluses. The competition from HP and Dell may get more fanfare, but if you're looking for a powerful and full featured Pocket PC in a compact ''pocket friendly" package, the Loox 720 should be at the top of a very short list.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:15 PM
juni
Sage

Since I'm still :bad-words: at HP for not providing an update for my HP2210 I've been looking into other companies devices and this is the one I'm probably going to get. Good review

Old 10-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Doug, thank you for that extensive review. Clearly a lot of effort put into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Raeburn
A feature offered by the Loox (and Asus) is USB host functionality. This means that you can attach USB peripherals such as keyboards and keychain drives directly to the Loox. The HP and the Dell don�t offer this feature.
The USB host functionality is a great asset to have on a Pocket PC. I think this makes it stand out over the HP and Dell Pocket PCs by far. But this is really based on personal preference. I like the idea of being able to stick my USB peripherals in when I want to. Do you know how many volts it provides though?

Quote:
While this may look good on the spec sheet and in brochures, the photo quality is mediocre at best. I�d personally prefer that they left the camera off, because it�s of little value, IMO.
I agree. The pictures from the camera are not that great. Call me fussy if you must but I don't even think the position of the camera on the device is all that aesthetically pleasing. O2 are one of the better companies out there that make a camera on a Pocket PC pleasing to look at. However, with a host of new technologies in mobile camera solutions, one can only hope that the quality of pictures delivered from mobile devices will be fantastic in the not-so-distant future.

Quote:
The Loox lacks a separate graphics accelerator, a feature of the HP and Dell. This will be of little consequence initially, as few software titles that take advantage of these graphics accelerators will be available at first. The degree to which software publishers will embrace the graphics accelerators is unknown. And it remains to be seen if the graphics accelerators will make a big difference in performance.
That is an interesting point. With Dell making a move to provide the Intel 2700, we'll start to see whether or not mobile graphic performance is an agenda in the production of future devices. In my opinion, I don't believe we will see true innovation of the concept until WM2005 bursts into the scene to provide Direct3D Mobile. NVIDIA's GoForce and ATI's Imageon are just waiting to explode into the market to provide the best in handheld graphic performance.

It's nice to see that while the Loox provides USB, excellent battery performance and a wad of memory, and on the other side of the scale, we see Dell provide a graphics acclerator and a fast 624MHz processor, one can only imagine what the next generation of Pocket PCs have in store for us. Hopefully, coalescence of the best features of the current devices will be achieved, because quite frankly, with the devices offered at the moment, we simply can't get the best of both worlds. This is why I'm willing to wait until WM2005 debuts, and only then, may we see the full potential of the brute power that the Pocket PCs can have in the handheld market.

On a side note, I couldn't help but notice the nice icons in the VGA screenshot of Agenda Fusion. Is this a feature only implemented in VGA devices or is it a separate version altogether from the already available 6.32?

Old 10-25-2004, 05:34 PM
lilasp
Pupil
Default looking for new pda

Hi
You're just in time. I'm looking for a PDA that I can use instead of my laptop. Soemthing that has: wi-fi, bluetooth, slots cf etc,fast, pc mobile 2003 software, keyboard etc. Does anyone have any suggestions and why? Thanks

Old 10-25-2004, 05:39 PM
manywhere
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to manywhere

Grrreat review, Doug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apod
The USB host functionality is a great asset to have on a Pocket PC. I think this makes it stand out over the HP and Dell Pocket PCs by far. But this is really based on personal preference. I like the idea of being able to stick my USB peripherals in when I want to. Do you know how many volts it provides though?
Well, I suspect that is the regular USB voltage -- what is that? 12 volts?. I have successfully used an Apple keyboard with my Loox (only supported US keyboard, although the keyboard was Finnish/Swedish), external USB harddrive and a USB memory! The USB mouses I tried with did not render any cursor or events, so that is the part missing. Now, I'm wondering what USB accessory to try next... :P

As for the camera, yeah the location on the device is quite bad. I manage to always have a finger over the camera lens when attempting to take a photo. :roll: Otherwise, the camera is good for doing some moblogging, IMO.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:40 PM
Darius Wey
Default Re: looking for new pda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilasp
Hi
You're just in time. I'm looking for a PDA that I can use instead of my laptop. Soemthing that has: wi-fi, bluetooth, slots cf etc,fast, pc mobile 2003 software, keyboard etc. Does anyone have any suggestions and why? Thanks
Does the "above-mentioned" product fancy you? There's a whole lot of "love" to be had for the Loox 720. :P

Old 10-25-2004, 05:41 PM
manywhere
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to manywhere
Default Re: looking for new pda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilasp
Hi
Uhh, the Loox might fit you needs if you also get a StowAway Bluetooth keyboard to go with it! Too bad it isn't available for you in the US.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by manywhere
Well, I suspect that is the regular USB voltage -- what is that? 12 volts?. I have successfully used an Apple keyboard with my Loox (only supported US keyboard, although the keyboard was Finnish/Swedish), external USB harddrive and a USB memory! The USB mouses I tried with did not render any cursor or events, so that is the part missing. Now, I'm wondering what USB accessory to try next... :P
Well my main issue was being able to provide power for a USB bus-powered HDD. Providing power for a USB flashdrive is one thing, but providing power for an HDD is another. But it's good to know that you can. :way to go:

I sincerely hope that any future upgrades to the OS does not (and I stress this to no endpoint) incorporate XP SP2's niggling feature of not being able to function properly with bus-powered devices. Any implementation of that will drop the idea of a USB host on a Pocket PC to low levels, IMO.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:51 PM
lilasp
Pupil
Default new pda

Actually this does fancy me. I was trying to get to this site to ask for suggestions when this came in my email. I would probagbly buy one now if I knew I could use it in USA without problems. and where I can get the best deal. Right now I have a Toshiba e805 :? , which is okay but I'm looking for something better and bigger (or should I say smaller). :mrgreen: What do you think about Sharp Zaurus sl-c860? This is another one I'm looking at.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Duncan
Pontificator
Default Re: Loox Like a Winner - A Review of the Loox 720 Pocket PC

Quote:
Where to Buy: Clove Technology
Price: �339 ($620 USD at current exchange rate)
Great review Doug! Just thought I'd mention that Clove offer a �10 discount off that �339 - details